U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 05:57 AM

796 posts, read 2,178,254 times

Advertisements

.. As an attorney I used for some property concerns many years back is retired, a realtor I know gave references for someone well versed in dealing with property. After that part of the conversation, talk shifted to the housing market/locally. He related that the housing market for the 7 county area their office covers ..is the best..sales-wise..since the 80's. This includes Broome, Tioga, Chemung, Steuben, Chenango, and 2 adjoining counties in Pa. While sales haven't matched places like the Catskills, Hudson Valley, etc...there has been continuing interest during this last 12 months from downstate NY, Philly, and N.J.. He said the purchase reasons vary...something more rural, or suburban at a lower pace of life, a weekend place, a home within a 3-4 drive from NY city...or as he suspected from a few..a bug-out location. Large/small properties for sale, with a residence, are at a low level of availability. Two new trends from all of this...finder's fees are being offered to those who can hook up a potential home seller to a realtor...Second..in a few cases, there have actually been competing overbids for choice properties. He also included that home and property prices in this area are running at a level below these other more "move to" areas of NY, giving these potential buyers ..more for their money.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 07:53 AM

70,608 posts, read 97,543,107 times
So, this is actually a phenomenon that is occurring in multiple areas of Upstate. I’m not surprised by this and I wonder how long it will last.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:28 PM

70,608 posts, read 97,543,107 times
I'm also wondering if this is an area that some that left Downstate or other Bos-Wash corridor areas have considered more due to its closer proximity to those areas versus some other parts of Upstate?

Old 03-25-2021, 05:39 PM

Perhaps interest in the southern tier..is a bit lower key. I have asked transplants from downstate how they came to look for a place up here. Often..the answer usually involves having some relative who had already moved up here years ago. The area appealed to these folks when they came upstate to visit, so, at some later date,moved up here themselves..if only as weekenders.

Old 03-25-2021, 05:51 PM

14,968 posts, read 15,655,776 times
Whelp. Kiss your quality of life goodbye when all these idiots move in.
Alaska here I come.

Old 03-27-2021, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Whelp. Kiss your quality of life goodbye when all these idiots move in.
Alaska here I come.
...unlike the Catskills and Hudson valley...the number of "incoming" are still small in number....for now..

Old 03-27-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
...unlike the Catskills and Hudson valley...the number of "incoming" are still small in number....for now..
They’re a cancer. It’s happening not only in NY, but all over the country.
Move out to the country to turn it into the city. It boils my blood over.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:35 AM

Default ....Adapt to the area..don't change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
They’re a cancer. It’s happening not only in NY, but all over the country.
Move out to the country to turn it into the city. It boils my blood over.
....Part of a post of mine from sometime in the past, comes to mind. And I still shake my head when I think back on it. Since you asked(lol)..here it is, again. I was out in the middle of a neighbor's large field (already mowed and bailed) , helping him fix an issue on his tractor. A downstater had recently purchased some adjoining acreage. There we are, working on his John Deere..and out across, to the middle of the 80+ acre field, comes the new neighbor in his Escalade. Turns out he wanted to advise my neighbor that his new land purchase would be posted and off limits to all the locals. At any rate....he drove up near us...got out of his suv, and...set the car alarm with his key fob...in the middle of this 80 acre field....wtf???

Old 03-27-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
....Part of a post of mine from sometime in the past, comes to mind. And I still shake my head when I think back on it. Since you asked(lol)..here it is, again. I was out in the middle of a neighbor's large field (already mowed and bailed) , helping him fix an issue on his tractor. A downstater had recently purchased some adjoining acreage. There we are, working on his John Deere..and out across, to the middle of the 80+ acre field, comes the new neighbor in his Escalade. Turns out he wanted to advise my neighbor that his new land purchase would be posted and off limits to all the locals. At any rate....he drove up near us...got out of his suv, and...set the car alarm with his key fob...in the middle of this 80 acre field....wtf???
Good Christ I loathe these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York