Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:41 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,762 times

Advertisements

May I ask where you are moving here from??????? Do you know this area at all other than from maps, literature, etc.???? It sounds like you have done quite a bit of research on this area. My only comment about the Old Dock Road is that some of those "houses" were originally built as summer camps and were sort of passed down through the generations as lakefront play areas for certain families. Now that real estate on the lake is priced more along the lines of the "real world", some people have found that they can get lots of money for those " little camps". I remember when I moved here in 80, that there was this just gorgeous Cape Cod house with tons of lakefront on about 1 acre of land set back from Lake Champlain and it sold for 79,000!!!!! I wish I had had the cash and foresight to snap that up. All I am saying is that some folks are definitely cashing in now as the waterfront property up here is not as cheap as it once was...............And you are right about lots of new homes coming on the market in spring. You will see lots of new homes around Easter. I think some realtors up here go south for winter and the market really slows up here until then.........Just curious how old your girls are? Good luck with the search. It will be worth it when you are settled in here. You will love it. People are the best. And while I don't doubt that there are parents who host and have parties with their kids, most aren't like that. I mean there are places in the national news all the time where kids rule and have parties complete with bands and open bar and strippers that the parents pay for, etc. There are bad parents everywhere. Think it is definitely the exception though, not the rule......BTW, canning is not as difficult as you might think! It is actually very easy. Just follow the recipes to the "T", no shortcuts. It is time consuming, but very gratifying to sample veggies, etc. that a few months ago were actually growing in your garden...........There is also a WONDERFUL farmers market run by the Pray family on Upper Cornelia street (Rt 3) and anything you can grow, they grow on their farm and sell fresh (their corn is amazing!) They have pick your own apples, strawberries, hayrides/pumpkin rides in the fall out to the patches to hand pick your own if you don't have room for your own garden. Just get the basic canning manual from Ball (makers of the lids and jars.........). People think that it is difficult to can, but it isn't at all. It's just in our age of instant everything, canning does take much longer than microwave........(duhhhhhh) and most people don't want to do anything that takes them longer than 10 minutes! You can do it! Really!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 09:02 PM

229 posts, read 232,603 times
Plattsburgher... Sorry it took a few to get back but I take grad classes at night and I have to be regimented, besides that the girls had a sleepover and our 1200sq. ft. rancher was wall to wall girls!!! Oh, they are 7 and 10. We are moving from jersey and YES we get up there as much as possible. We have toured the schools, which eliminated Sarnac Lake Schools. I like the idea of one stop school, with all the grades on one campus. Petrova School is a very old and unkempt building and quite frankly I felt as though I was incarcerated when we visited there. It was very creepy !! We have a few more leads on properties as the one on Old Dock is 485 thou. and so the taxes will be right around 13 thou. Too rich for my blood !! Thanks for the advice on canning, I can't wait. As a child we always went pumpin patch wandering but it seems that all the fun things are fading away and I find it hard to have the experiences with my girls SO... I'm gonna make my own patch. I can't wait for the market to pick up as I sit here and go over and over the same listings and I get frustrated. I know it will be worth it in the end to look at mountains again and be able to share simple things with my family. If it weren't for those dresses, I would think I should have been around during the Little House on the prairie days !!! Take care and thanks again. Keep your eye out. OH and what is the truth about there being a NASCAR track being built at the Clinton County Airport ?? Darlene March has it in her real estate listing. BTW... I have a case of Ball jars that I have been carrying around for about 12 years now, just looking for the graden area !!!

Old 01-15-2007, 03:21 PM

Smile The area has been mentioned for that.........

I know there were many rumors circulating about turning what is currently the county fairgrounds area/airport acreage into a NASCAR spot. There are a lot of things that have to fall into place for that to happen, the first one is being done.......the new airport will be open soon, so the other property will be open for some sort of business? The neighbors have fairly nice homes near there and I know they weren't really thrilled with the idea of loud motors, exhaust and crowds/traffic near that little subdivision. I don't think I would welcome it either. Having said that, there is another little racetrack south of town that has regional races almost every weekend in the summer. People come from Vermont, New Hampshire, and southern New York and even southern Quebec to race. I have never been, but they draw quite a crowd judging from the lines to and from on race nights waiting for a ferry. Know all about working, school and juggling. Kids are so important and I think people up here are not into cookie-cutter lives like in a lot of areas. This area seems to value time and quality of life. I think a lot of families enjoy being involved in their kids activities (girl scouts, soccer games, sporting teams, music trips) and aren't into as much "dropping the kids off at the mall for 3 hours so they can hang out", like some of my friends in other places tend to do with their kids. I mean you can do that, but it is a mall with 8 movie screens, so there is a little of that, but kids tend to make more friends around their neighborhoods (just like we did when we were little) than my big city friends where they don't even know their own neighbors names. Yes, keep looking for homes, but whatever they are asking, go lower. If you do find something at this time of year, definitely go much lower. As I said, the real estate market is basically asleep up here right now. IF you do find something you love, it would probably work out very well financially for you in the next few weeks.............I think realtors are hoping to sell whatever they can in the dead of winter.............just my opinion...........Yes, Saranac Lake is a pretty town in the summer and fall, but for me, it is a bit too small. I don't know the Petrova schools at all. Sometimes you feel as though the Adirondacks are just outside your door (summertime/ Lake Placid events), but they have a separate newspaper and their own radio stations, etc, so I don't keep up with them at all. Do know that Saranac Lake has a fun winter carnival coming up around Presidents Day complete with town made ice castle with slide and parade. It would be nice to come up here then and visit. Lots of people do...........!

Old 01-16-2007, 07:15 PM

Red face Always scouring with hope

Plattsburgher... I scour the MLS and the job scene every evening in hopes of what we need to come along. Eventually it will. I myself am not into NASCAR (except for the time we had VIP tickets handed to us for free !!) I, again, am trying to stay on top of the places NOT to be. We have had enough fast life handed to us and need a big break from it before it becomes the norm, and we blink and the kids are grown. Looking in to a few places, one private and a few through real estate. Have to find out about living in a building zoned commercial. Sounds odd I know. Would love to ask loads of questions but have to get on the grad work, and a stomach virus is about and we had two pukers last night and one home early from school today SO...while all is quiet, I should go. Thanks again for all the great info. and for being my link to where we want to be.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:47 AM

160 posts, read 564,774 times
Default NASCAR track

I don't know anything specifically about the track idea, except that I've heard people talk about it, but I can tell you generally that's a looooooong way from happening. NASCAR went through an intense period of growth the past 15 years, and now there are signs of overexpansion. Attendance and TV ratings were down last year. Also, I doubt they would put a full-fledged facility here simply because there are very few race slots left in the calendar. Finally, Montreal has a NASCAR-ready track and will play host to its first Busch series (that's NASCAR's junior varsity) race in August. Since expanding the brand internationally is a big deal for NASCAR's owners (they're looking to race in Mexico, etc...), a fully loaded track in Montreal is far more likely than here.
That said, is it possible a smaller circuit, like the ARCA series, could come here? Maybe. But the spectator traffic generated by racing is insane (a worse issue than the racecar noise, IMO), and I would think would require lots of environmental impact studies.
There are a lot of fans in this region, and (again, without specific knowledge), it sounds like somebody's idea of "wouldn't it be great if...?" And of course, I do that, too, just with different implausible ideas.
By the way, I'll be posting more this week on Moderator cut: website link, on the Plattsburgh tax issue. Come on over!

Old 01-20-2007, 07:23 PM

nunoco... link was cut out by moderator... send me a PM

Old 01-28-2007, 05:48 PM

Thumbs up 3 bedroom on 3 acres for 171,000

Hi taboo......

Just throwing this out there...........Don't know what school district it is, but was in the paper and made me think of you when it talked about full basement with spacious rec room. Pic in paper looked great like a log home with a huge wrap around front porch. I won't give realtor name because it will get killed anyway, but number is 125204. Might be worth checking out at least.........??????? I can send the realtor's name privately. It starts with a "D"......

Old 01-29-2007, 08:22 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
Plattsburger....not to take this post off-subject, but, I heard that a Target might soon be occupying the old Ames at the mall?! Amen if thats the case.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:05 PM

Smile It's a small town..........

I not only "read" that in the local paper, but know that negotiations are in the works from some people I work with. This area seems to be on the brink of some real growth. A lot of factors are coming together at the same time. People are exiting the cities rapidly for a better quality of life, Canadian exchange rate is good, Vermont is becoming less attractive to live because of the housing shortage and people are heading back to nature and can make a living here now in the Adirondacks because of new technology and less need to be "on site" to work. I love the fact that you can be in your PJ's having coffee and watch deer outside your back door, yet do business and get it done without traffic or parking. The local hospital is in the midst of yet another multimillion dollar expansion and of course the buzz about the new Laurentian Corp and new airport. We now have brand new independent senior living on the lake, a new nursing home facility is being built on the lake and an Alzheimer's facility is there as well. Univ. of NY here has their Alzheimers research area here and there is a speech and hearing center here as well. Just so many reasons to stick around now and a Target too??????? Do you know the mall area? There is plenty of room over there to expand. I would love some independent movie theatres, but maybe with the downtown old Strand theatre renovations, they will do movies and shows, etc.........I mean we are on the direct route from NYC to Montreal. We are an Amtrak stop. I would love some shows and more plays, etc.........I go to Burlington for that, but just can't afford to live there........It was my first choice, but can't afford a house over there.........are they working on building any entry level houses there these days?????? It would be nice if they do that........I do love Vermont also. The lake is showcased much better over there and you have the sunsets!!!!!

Old 01-29-2007, 06:11 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
The problem with "affordable housing" over here is that land values are very high, then add in the permitting costs, and you get expensive houses. The further out of metro Burlington you go, the more house/land you get for your money (generally). We live 18 miles out of town and was able to afford a great new house on 5 acres.
I do know that Target is looking at sites around here too, but I'd be willing to bet that yours gets open first. Heck, our first Lowe's in the state should open next fall after 10 years of permitting/appeals, etc (environmental groups gone mad).
I do know the mall area over there. We usually take a road trip over that way in the summer for something different. I like Gander Mountain. We've also camped at that state park along the road to the ferry which was fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York