Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:09 AM

518 posts, read 2,006,886 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to make a suggestion. If you liked "camping" at the beach site where everyone is packed in together like sardines, this summer when you get off the ferry, head toward town on Rt 9 (toward MCDonalds), just after McSweeneys on the right is the area's Chamber of Commerce. Pick up an Adirondack booklet or two on state campsites and try one. There is one not too far from Pburgh toward Saranac Lake on Rt 3 called Buck Pond. The sites in there are flat, but so secluded and all have lots of trees overhead and between sites. There are a couple of little lakes in there and in summer, tons of wild blueberries for kids to go off and pick. There are tons more fabulous areas, some on their own island, so you can either bring or rent a canoe. It is the highlight of our summer to head off for weekends with no cell, computers, tvs and just hear the loons, make smores, campfires, and relax. I feel as though I have the best of all worlds when I can drive to your side of the lake to shop, etc, but head in the opposite direction and experience nature as it was a couple of hundred years ago...........to wake up to loons calling on your own private island campsite is simply amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 09:19 AM

3,457 posts, read 10,217,258 times
Thanks for the tip! The one major thing that I didnt like about that campground in Pburg is that it is so close to the main road.
If you like camping and want to head to our side of the lake, I highly recommend Grand Isle State Park. Minutes from the ferry. Nice place.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:32 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,189,141 times
I'm glad I popped in! Plattsburgher, you really have a great grasp of the area and would make a wonderful C of C president!

I have a suggestion. You may want to look into the town of Schuyler Falls. We live there in a nice neighborhood, a cul-de-sac off the Irish Settlement Rd. He houses are all quite nice - mostly raised ranches, that sort of thing - with good sized family rooms in the "basement". Our taxes are lower than the city, it's the Peru school district (about which I've heard only good things, BTW), but the price of houses is a bit higher. I'm sure there are lots of nice homes you could find like that. I'd suggest our neighborhood, but we are only a couple miles from the new airport and planes do occasionally fly over us now; I'm sure that will increase as the airport opens.

Best of luck with your move. It sounds like you're on the right track with all your research and visits.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:28 PM

Smile How funny!

We used to live on a cul-de-sac just off of the Irish Settlement Road also, however farther toward Peru (Mason Street) than you are, I think. I believe I know your street well, however...........think it starts with an "M". Just in the past few years got into camping and used to think that camping wasn't that great, UNTIL someone took us Adirondack camping. The first night we were walking around under the pines and watching shooting stars, had a huge campfire after a great sunset, cooked a great dinner and heard the loons calling in the dark on the lake, I thought I had gone to heaven. It is not camping as I always knew camping...........I just cannot get over the natural beauty of this entire area.........the more I hike and explore, the more I love it.....So, I cannot wait until spring.......I want to go to the ADKs again!!!!

Old 02-02-2007, 08:37 AM

Plattsburgher, you hit the nail right on the head!

While I agree the ADK mt's are gorgeous and we love to pack a picnic lunch and go up to the mts to sit by a rushing stream, we're on our way to FL. We're moving this Fall; just can't take any more cold weather. It is one of the most beautiful place on earth IMHO, but it's time to call somewhere else home.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:21 PM

Thumbs up In a few more years.............

I too will be hitting the road..........for a more southern climate. Where are you guys heading to? Do you know yet? I am thinking N. Carolina or the Smokies Mountain region..............Already doing research on those areas and have traveled there. A lot like here but I am sure much more humid in the summer. I would love to stay here part of year and there part of year.......That seems the best of all worlds, but it must be much more expensive to do that, right?

Old 02-05-2007, 07:22 PM

Talking I think I missed the FLORIDA reference......

OOOOPS. Which part of Florida?

Old 02-06-2007, 12:47 PM

N. Ft. Myers, actually. I went down there this past March to visit a friend and came home with a new house. Hubby says it's the last time I go on vacation without him! We rented it out this winter and will be moving down in September. No way we could afford houses in both locations, although that would be ideal. I will miss the mountains and streams and the St. Lawrence River (I'm originally from Ogdensburg, if I didn't mention).

Old 02-06-2007, 07:59 PM

Cool You can always come back in the summer..........

I know there are always things that you will miss, but I do think that as we get older, the cold and snow does wear on you more.........I loved it for my kids and at the time felt like a kid myself, but now that the "kids" aren't exactly kids anymore, it isn't as exciting to have a snowstorm. I do plan on coming up in the summer for a couple of weeks if I can arrange it. Summers up here are so very delightful for the 2 months that we do have it (on the years that we actually have a nice summer). We are actually heading down to the Keys in 2 weeks and I can't wait. Love the ocean and seafood and casual clothing year round and could live there in a heartbeat. Good luck to you. Do you think you will have any trouble selling? If the Laurentian deal goes as planned, there may be tons of new people looking around for a house soon............Possibly great timing for you!

Old 02-08-2007, 10:20 AM

I'm sorry, Plattsburgher...I read the paper and listen to the news daily, but I haven't heard about this Laurentian deal. Can you explain?

Thanks for the good words. We'll probably be returning on and off for short visits here and there as we have family in Mooers and in Ogdensburg. But I did tell both sides not to expect to see us between October and April!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York