Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2021, 07:50 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times

Advertisements

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sts_po-organic

In the space of a few weeks, new federal mask-wearing guidance and state reopening plans have led to dramatically loosened restrictions on public life in the pandemic. The changes have drawn criticism for being overly ambitious and permissive, and have left many New Yorkers unsure of how cautious they should be in different settings.

Here are a few questions, and answers, about what government health experts and other public health professionals are saying about how to keep yourself safe as the city settles into the most relaxed COVID-19 rules since the pandemic started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 10:50 PM

3,492 posts, read 1,409,976 times
I feel this whole thing was politically driven. Back when Trump was president, everyone criticized him for not wearing a mask. And now, it's like, "ok you can take off your mask", when not enough people have been vaccinated and our positivity rates are not low enough.

Old 05-20-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Gibby View Post
When Trump was POTUS, the vaccines weren't generally available to most Americans. Now, nearly half of all Americans have had at least one dose of one of the vaccines and about 40% are fully vaccinated. In New York State, the those percentages are significantly higher, almost 60%, I think, are fully vaccinated.

You kidding, right? When Trump was president, the vaccines just came out with limited supply. Now supply exceeds demand, so that's why it's available to all adults now.

I'm not saying the scientific facts are incorrect. I'm saying it's too soon to lift mask mandates. We haven't reach the 75-80% threshold for herd immunity to lift such mandates.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:30 AM

5,695 posts, read 4,093,071 times
There are Masks and there are things we have been instructed to cover our face with. Working in HVAC my whole life, I've dealt with all kinds of filtration systems, including HEPA and purified water. And real face masks filtering tiny objects like asbestos.

The government NEVER mandated the EFFICIENCY of the masks they wanted us to wear. In fact they were very clear about just put SOMETHING over your face. I would venture to say that most people had very little protection through this whole thing. What a joke. Wear a mask into a bar or restuarant, and sit at a table with 4 friends, all going home to different households, and jobs, and then meet again next week after each encounters 100 different people.

"Never let a crisis go to waste"- Rohm Emanuel

Old 05-20-2021, 09:24 AM

Just as a heads up, my dad got the Moderna shot way before I did, given the fact that he's 70 years old. Since he's been fully vaccinated, he started going to church and has been going for a few weeks. The churches have protocols where people are spaced out far apart and have limited capacity, so he hasn't been sitting near anyone. So he's been going regularly, not seated near anyone and always fully masked up! And lo and behold, he has "cold" symptoms. He didn't get tested, so not sure if it's Coronavirus, but he's sick with some sort of virus.

So word of advice, mask up!

Old 05-20-2021, 07:57 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
So he's been going regularly, not seated near anyone and always fully masked up! And lo and behold, he has "cold" symptoms. He didn't get tested, so not sure if it's Coronavirus, but he's sick with some sort of virus.

So word of advice, mask up!
But you're saying he was masked up at church. And still got a cold?

Old 05-20-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
But you're saying he was masked up at church. And still got a cold?

Yeah. The only thing we can think of is that he got it from receiving communion. Think about it, they are handling the bread with their fingers.

Thankfully, it's very minor cold symptoms. But still my mom is not vaccinated and he lives with her. So if he does indeed have Coronavirus, that would not be good for her.

Who knows if it is Coronavirus or not, but getting a "cold" during May is very very rare, especially since weather is very warm now. Usually, September to March are when people normally get colds here in NY. So very odd that he got this sudden cold. It concerns me and just when I was ready to celebrate and remove my mask outdoors, I am now convinced that I should continue to mask up.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:22 PM

978 posts, read 674,453 times
Lol, or it could be allergies

Old 05-20-2021, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
Lol, or it could be allergies

My dad is 72 years old and never had allergies during the Spring in his lifetime.

For me, it's a different story. This past week has been itchy eyes and runny nose. And tree pollen is expected to shift from high to very high on Sunday. So this weekend will be torture for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: