Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 14,061 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am moving to the Binghamton/OWEGO area in june and need to know some good areas to move to. Is Endicott nice? Where should I stay away from. Any apartments anyone recommends. I will be working at Lockheed martin in Owego and dont mind a commute alittle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 06:51 AM

382 posts, read 1,530,874 times
West Endicott and North Endicott are nice. Endwell is very nice for the most part (suburban), Vestal is popular and the West Side of Binghamton is very nice.
Also, Owego has some fine old housing but it is small village. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:03 PM

12 posts, read 65,741 times
Hi! My husband and I are also moving to the Binghamton area (at the end of this month, actually). I agree with HomerBrink -- and with my limited knowledge, I would especially second that the West Side of Binghamton is very nice. Vestal is also another great consideration -- lots of shopping, excellent schools, etc. You'll find in general the real estate is inexpensive, but you'll get a bang for your buck. Hope this helps!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:59 PM

961 posts, read 2,501,977 times
Some rental units above the Lockeed Martin plant....rentals(across from a town park) near the former IBM Glendale site, etc... What you want will depend on your needs/budget.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 14,061 times
How is central endicott? Washington Ave area?

Old 05-15-2008, 11:20 AM

961 posts, read 2,501,977 times
Not probably your best choice.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:50 AM

6 posts, read 27,715 times
Smile Owego-Binghamton-Endicott

I am a Binghamton native and still love the Triple Cities. If you have children, I would definitely say Owego Apalachin or Vestal would be the best choices for schools.

Endicott used to be very nice but with IBM gone, and the resulting TCE issues in the village (and perhaps beyond), it seems like a ghost town of what it once was. If you're single, it may not be a bad place to live since you could probably get a very nice apartment and be within reasonable commuting distance to Owego.

I live near Owego and have for ten years. It has definitely become a much nicer place recently. The downtown is nice--coffee shop, great bookstore, excellent paint store, movie theater, bars, antique stores, etc. If you like the idea of a walkable village, it is a GREAT choice. Be warned, however, that there are a lot of down and out people around Owego too, but it's not in the least bit dangerous or violent whatsoever. It's just depressing at times to drive or walk through and see people so down on their luck. It's a very very friendly place, for certain. It spoils you with its friendliness in comparison to other towns!

As far as apartments in the Owego area, you could certainly find something nice in the village if you like older homes. If you're looking for a *newer* condo or apartment, you may be better off in Endicott/JC/Binghamton, the commute is a breeze on Route 17.

Just my two cents--good luck and welcome to the Southern Tier!

Maple

Old 05-18-2008, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 19,269 times
I moved here to the Binghamton area 2 years ago from Queens NY. I'm on the West Side of Binghamton and could not be HAPPIER!!!! I think here I personally have the best of both worlds. Coming from a very large city, and having whatever you wanted at your fingertips 24/7, I don't feel like I'm missing anything here. The bus is two blocks away (but you never hear it over the birds). CVS, two blocks in the other direction,the Giant supermarket, three blocks. And if I feel like driving there is WONDERFUL WEGMANS. At only a three minute car ride, it is worth every cent of my $3.87 a gallon gasoline!
As far as entertainment, there is always something going on downtown Binghamton. Don't let the locals fool you. The fact is, there is alot to do! People here say "oh but there is more to do in NYC" . Possibly, but unless your last name is TRUMP or Hilton, chances are you can't AFFORD to do it. Owego is an adorable, quaint area with that true small town America charm that other places just don't have. And who knows, maybe when I get tired of the "hustle and bustle" of Binghamton, that might be my next stop. But for now I can't say enough good stuff about the West Side of Binghamton!!! Hope you'll like it here as much as I do. Good Luck!

Old 05-18-2008, 06:16 PM

6 posts, read 17,894 times
Default Owego/Binghamton move

Hi,
I'm a newbie here, but have worked all around the area; Bing Univ. and Vestal.

Owego is quite far from Binghamton down route 17; on a morning commute it's about half an hour going West (heading into the prevailing storms coming in) and in the winter it's brutal because that stretch of road is filled with truckers and commuters and is not protected. That stretch of road gets the full force of whatever is coming in from the Ohio storm pattern.

Better to find someplace closer to Owego. I'd say somewhere in-between the two cities.

Endicott is nice but the taxes and home prices are high, and be careful about the flood zone; the whole area gets clobbered in a big flood. Check out the 2006 flooding news/photos, etc.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:51 PM

12 posts, read 65,741 times
Default i second that

i definitely, whole-heartedly second chris70442's comment about the west side/area in general. in fact, i think we must be neighbors. the bus is close -- cvs plaza (with fitness center) is a stone's throw . . . and i just went to my first "first friday" art walk, and there's a lot more to bingo than people let on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York