Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 1,815 times

Advertisements

I know, I know, I'm sure this is the usual NYC-born and raised individual seeking peace question. To then go to their ideal place just to try to modernize and destroy the peace. I promise I am not that individual.

I am a quiet SAHM. My kids are quiet. One is away in college with a full scholarship. The second is a gifted pianist and is a YPC chorister. The third hasn't found her gift, but sports, gymnastics, and cheerleading seem to be what she likes most. Yes, this is me selling myself to a new community. I love my current community, but it is being destroyed by greedy politicians trying to upzone. I have fought this for 10 years and have officially lost. I cannot live like this anymore. I am looking at Orange County, Rockland County, Putnam County, and Northern Westchester County. However, I have a beer pocketbook with champagne tastes.

My wants for an ideal community is:
-Something suburban but leaning more towards rural.
-Quiet
-Strong community involvement
-Largely small businesses
-Hopefully a home under 420K
-A good school community with a strong PTA
-Absolutely cannot be under development for condo living or apartments

Where I have gone and liked:
-Warwick, Orange County
-Yorktown Heights, Westchester County
-Carmel, Putnam County
-Pearl River, Rockland County

Where I have gone and not sure about:
Cornwall, Orange County
Cornwall-on-Hudson, Orange County

Where I have gone and it's not for me:
-Highland Falls, Orange County
-Mount Kisco, Westchester County
-Port Chester, Westchester County
-Ossining, Westchester County
-Peekskill, Westchester County

Please send me some suggestions. It doesn't need to be exact to my likes but near. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 10:27 AM

5,688 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Have you considered the "real upstate" NY? How about somewhere in Livingston county? Livonia, Avon and Geneseo offer village, suburban, and rural opportunities to purchase for under $200K. You could still drive to a larger city, or major shopping in minutes via I 390. Actually anywhere in the Finger Lakes Region might fit your desires.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:48 AM

93,256 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leniiinyc View Post
I know, I know, I'm sure this is the usual NYC-born and raised individual seeking peace question. To then go to their ideal place just to try to modernize and destroy the peace. I promise I am not that individual.

I am a quiet SAHM. My kids are quiet. One is away in college with a full scholarship. The second is a gifted pianist and is a YPC chorister. The third hasn't found her gift, but sports, gymnastics, and cheerleading seem to be what she likes most. Yes, this is me selling myself to a new community. I love my current community, but it is being destroyed by greedy politicians trying to upzone. I have fought this for 10 years and have officially lost. I cannot live like this anymore. I am looking at Orange County, Rockland County, Putnam County, and Northern Westchester County. However, I have a beer pocketbook with champagne tastes.

My wants for an ideal community is:
-Something suburban but leaning more towards rural.
-Quiet
-Strong community involvement
-Largely small businesses
-Hopefully a home under 420K
-A good school community with a strong PTA
-Absolutely cannot be under development for condo living or apartments

Where I have gone and liked:
-Warwick, Orange County
-Yorktown Heights, Westchester County
-Carmel, Putnam County
-Pearl River, Rockland County

Where I have gone and not sure about:
Cornwall, Orange County
Cornwall-on-Hudson, Orange County

Where I have gone and it's not for me:
-Highland Falls, Orange County
-Mount Kisco, Westchester County
-Port Chester, Westchester County
-Ossining, Westchester County
-Peekskill, Westchester County

Please send me some suggestions. It doesn't need to be exact to my likes but near. Thank you!
On this list, Warwick and Cornwall appear to be the best options in terms of what you are looking for. Maybe if you include Dutchess County, the Wappingers Falls area is another one that looks like a good fit.

With this said, I agree with JW in that if you moved further Upstate, you can find what you are looking for at a much lower housing cost. I'll throw out a few sleeper Upstate communities in the Whitesboro and New Hartford SD's in the Utica area and Horseheads in the Elmira area. There are others that would fit as well, but those districts have a mix of suburban, rural and a walkable village; along with solid/good schools near a city. I also think of Baldwinsville, Chittenango and Marcellus, among others in the Syracuse area that have a similar mix.

Old 09-04-2021, 01:05 PM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
North Carolina, South Carolina, Kentucky,Tennessee, Pennsylvania.
Upstate has met its quota. Unless you or your significant other is tied to a job.
Then you probably shouldn’t look any further north than the counties you mentioned.
The market is bananas everywhere, so it might be tough trying to find something that meets your needs and wants within your budget, especially anywhere in NY right now.

Old 09-04-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
North Carolina, South Carolina, Kentucky,Tennessee, Pennsylvania.
Upstate has met its quota. Unless you or your significant other is tied to a job.
Then you probably shouldn’t look any further north than the counties you mentioned.
The market is bananas everywhere, so it might be tough trying to find something that meets your needs and wants within your budget, especially anywhere in NY right now.
There is still some room Upstate given that budget, but it may be a matter of just finding the right place. That is a part of the reason I mentioned places in the Elmira and Utica areas, as many that come Upstate either want a lot of land in a rural community or the bigger cities/areas. Another area in a lesser thought of Upstate area that fits much of what the OP wants may be the Union-Endicott area/SD in the Binghamton area(though Vestal would be even better, but doesn’t have a village). Maybe the Maine-Endwell and Chenango Valley SD’s in that area as well.

Clinton also in the Utica-Rome area has a good mix as well.

Old 09-04-2021, 01:32 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,502 times
I suggest using Google and search out whats important to you about a place once you think you have one-

Demographics & congestion
Religous and political considerations.
Gun ownership.
Legal alcohol, legal weed, etc.
Bike/ATV/Hiking trails
Employment
Schools
Hunting & Fishing
Can I have chickens?
Can I have milk goats?
Can I have a garden?
Is there an HOA?
and so on.

Dont knit-pick a place because nowhere is perfect, and especially not for an 'outsider'.

I was looking at a state on these boards with a post that gave the advise, "Nobody is going to talk to you, but if you talk to them they will be friendly." Sounds ideal to me, but might not be what everyone has in mind.

Old 09-04-2021, 05:42 PM

729 posts, read 532,631 times
Rexville NY

Old 09-04-2021, 06:41 PM

5,688 posts, read 4,090,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I suggest using Google and search out whats important to you about a place once you think you have one-

Demographics & congestion
Religous and political considerations.
Gun ownership.
Legal alcohol, legal weed, etc.
Bike/ATV/Hiking trails
Employment
Schools
Hunting & Fishing
Can I have chickens?
Can I have milk goats?
Can I have a garden?
Is there an HOA?
and so on.

Dont knit-pick a place because nowhere is perfect, and especially not for an 'outsider'.

I was looking at a state on these boards with a post that gave the advise, "Nobody is going to talk to you, but if you talk to them they will be friendly." Sounds ideal to me, but might not be what everyone has in mind.
You are correct, no place will be perfect. How ever if you look around the Finger Lakes area, you can find tranquility, with conveniences nearby. The best of both worlds.

Old 09-04-2021, 06:48 PM

978 posts, read 674,453 times
I second most of what was offered.
If you aren’t tied to nyc, then go north. Far north and west.
Finger lakes region is stunning, close proximity to Rochester and Syracuse.go further west say east aurora, excellent schools, close to Buffalo. Your world is up there, you just need to move.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
You are correct, no place will be perfect. How ever if you look around the Finger Lakes area, you can find tranquility, with conveniences nearby. The best of both worlds.
Yup, with NY State’s 4th(barely) and 5th biggest cities essentially sandwiching the region. So, you really can have a well rounded living experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York