Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2007, 06:03 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
And with the last line in this post you just contradicted the point you were attempting to make.
Not at all..this thread is dedicated to bashing Southerners, and I am saying look at how you treat people up north.. where is the contradiction? All folks have bad apples. You just hate the south Brian...move back home/

Old 06-24-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Not at all..this thread is dedicated to bashing Southerners, and I am saying look at how you treat people up north.. where is the contradiction? All folks have bad apples. You just hate the south Brian...move back home/
and before you react to this, it is not meant as an insult. I bitched about NY over and over and finally someone said to me, if you hate it here you should move. No sense staying where you aren't happy, life is way to short for that. So my comment is more advice than sarcastic.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:19 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Quote:
I've had moving out of the south in the works before you even created a login. I'm not heeding your advice, I'm giving it.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:20 PM

620 posts, read 2,119,097 times
Quote:
You people are NUTS, seriously ..I have lived in Charlotte for a year and have seen nothing but kindness and acceptance. Tell you what , you want to find bad apples...take a look, they are all over the lawn EVERYWHERE, in the north, in the south, in the mountains at atthe beaches.. By the way, are you going to tell me NEW YORKERS treat everyone with kindness and acceptance? Look in the mirror my friends..
I have to agree with Brian though - you have to be oblivious to not see these bumper stickers every now and then. I just saw one recently with a confederate flag and it said "Happiness is a Northbound Yankee" (the pick up truck did have Florida plates though). I see these things less and less, but you still run it to it from time to time.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:30 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,074 times
thanks Brian...that's interesting, I thought NC was supposed to have such a fantastic job market--it was actually FL that I was more worried about being able to find something, although I have seen jobs listed in fl that match my skillset pretty well.

Quote:
I live in Concord near Charlotte (spent my life in New Jersey). Driving along Speedway Blvd towards Concord Mills Mall and there's this older gentleman in a white truck. On the hitch he's got this black sticker with white print, "Yankees Go Home" (and no, this wasn't in reference to the baseball team). THIS is the prevailing mentality of many of the lifers here.

INeedAChange, let me suggest that you go into the NC forums and look at the threads having to do with a job search (You can access them by looking at my past posts). I'll put it to you this way: I was out of work for six months upon moving down here. If it wasn't for a transplant that I already knew who helped me in, I'm not sure if I'd be working today. This is a VERY common tale among those who move down here, including a woman who works in back of me who it took 8 months of intensive searching.

Choose wisely and come prepared.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:16 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times
IN reference to finding a job moving south..why are people moving south or any other place without a job anyway? Even if you did cash out on equity and purchased a home "for cash"..you gotta eat, pay taxes, gas..and even with a little stash money...it seems rather silly.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:30 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
IN reference to finding a job moving south..why are people moving south or any other place without a job anyway? Even if you did cash out on equity and purchased a home "for cash"..you gotta eat, pay taxes, gas..and even with a little stash money...it seems rather silly.
My wife's job wound up moving from North Brunswick, NJ to Charlotte with relo money. We hopped on that. I was told that it would be very easy to move from within the company to the same area. That wound up taking about six months and a LOT of applications in the process. What an enormous mistake. The only comfort I take is that I wasn't the only one who was given the impression of a wondrous job market in Charlotte only to be fooled. I'd spoken to enough people who went through the same thing. Seeing it on the NC board in this forum was another exclamation point...it wasn't just me or anything I was doing wrong.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:31 PM

95 posts, read 1,294,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
I had a colleague here at the university where I work in Manhattan. She did her undergrad at Chapel Hill.
She summed it up pretty good. She said the guys in NC were either J.Crew or Nascar. You have both extremes. The thing I think I like about NYC, is that you have these extremes too, but they are all mixed up together in daily life. I may be on a subway standing next to a Wall Street Broker, A Ph.D in Literature and a third generation fish monger. I never really felt that in the South.
You are so right. Southerns only run with their own crowd. No tolerance for diversity, which is okay, but a little boring.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
My wife's job wound up moving from North Brunswick, NJ to Charlotte with relo money. We hopped on that. I was told that it would be very easy to move from within the company to the same area. That wound up taking about six months and a LOT of applications in the process. What an enormous mistake. The only comfort I take is that I wasn't the only one who was given the impression of a wondrous job market in Charlotte only to be fooled. I'd spoken to enough people who went through the same thing. Seeing it on the NC board in this forum was another exclamation point...it wasn't just me or anything I was doing wrong.
So you never looked for work outside of your company. Was the slow go North Carolina's fault or your companies fault...?

Old 06-24-2007, 08:00 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,074 times
Brian,

Would you say that you need to be in a southern old boys' network to find a job down there?

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York