Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:39 AM

44 posts, read 329,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Hmmm... is it b/c it was a historically white area & maybe your neighbor's ownership of it is just so contrary to what the original owners would have foreseen & the current neighbors want?

A big part of why we wanted a new area was so we would be with a big mix of people and would not have to confront that sort of stuff in our neighborhoods.
Out & about town is one thing but experience has taught me that your neighbors become your friends so we did not want to chance being rejected right off the bat for who we are Not.
Yes, to the first part (old south is still alive). Bigger towns have bigger diversities. Smaller towns have less....at least around here. I love small towns of the north which are diverse and you can make more friends. Where are you looking to live in NC? Some areas are good or bad depending on what you want.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:37 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
I think it's easier to adjust if you're from a rural area up north, preferably a poor one. I didn't have any trouble when staying there for several months (various locations) and was accepted right away. Then again I didn't have any opportunity to witness racism (which I wouldn't tolerate).

True, the War Between the States is a topic of current conversation, and preacher religion is very high on the spectrum. I found the opportunity for relaxed conversation to hold great value there, as did manners. Both of which I prize. Btw, you left off your list the military and bass fishing as areas of interest in the South.

In a way they're being innundated with people of a different culture, who they suspect are trying to change things. I think they do some of it on purpose to close ranks. It is certainly different than some other parts of the country to be sure. Tradition is not dead there by any means. If you don't think you'll fit in there, you probably won't.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:44 PM

44 posts, read 329,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I think it's easier to adjust if you're from a rural area up north, preferably a poor one. I didn't have any trouble when staying there for several months (various locations) and was accepted right away. Then again I didn't have any opportunity to witness racism (which I wouldn't tolerate).

True, the War Between the States is a topic of current conversation, and preacher religion is very high on the spectrum. I found the opportunity for relaxed conversation to hold great value there, as did manners. Both of which I prize. Btw, you left off your list the military and bass fishing as areas of interest in the South.

In a way they're being innundated with people of a different culture, who they suspect are trying to change things. I think they do some of it on purpose to close ranks. It is certainly different than some other parts of the country to be sure. Tradition is not dead there by any means. If you don't think you'll fit in there, you probably won't.
Good thoughts and true!

Old 01-07-2007, 10:06 AM

17 posts, read 60,860 times
I feel your pain! left upstate ny 17 months ago, living in south carolina hate it house is for sale moving back ASAP.This back stabbing rebel flag flying red neck south really does not like us yankee's, my friends from long island had there childrens teacher refer to them as "let the yankee answer the question" and there 6th grade teacher tells the class that if a women was walking down a street in ny and was getting raped no one would stop and help! Hello do you know that NYC is as safe a place today as it was in the 1940s that is according to police crime records!

Old 01-07-2007, 06:47 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Lightbulb good thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
I live in St. Petersburg area in Florida (originally from NY):

I was haggling with a salesman today over pricing of furniture. After agreeing on a price that salesman took my name. When I stopped spelling out my last name he said, "are your sure you're done? There isn't a 'Stein' on the end?"

If you need me to explain this you most likely won't be offended. I couldn't believe what he was implying. You really have to spend some time in the South before making the leap. And I live in Florida, which really isn't the south South.
yes- you are right- Florida isn't the real south- not everywhere- but still can't believe that comment.

As others have noted there is good and bad everywhere, but sometimes it is hard to believe 1859 is still foremost in people's minds- Are NY/NJ (all northeast) and all of us taught tolerance? I can't imagine hating someone because they are a "Yankee" or Confederate-I just can't fathom it, really.

Some people are polite, and question if you come in and buy a large house; I would never move to an area to "change" it but if enough Yankees move in- well, who knows?

Old 01-07-2007, 08:36 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
well 4 nykers changed the laws of corprol punishment in Union County NC and it will be taken off the books, so It too bad cause not all Southerns are like that and funn thing is there is about 20% of native people that live there so considering there are so many transplants and also remember 1 IMPORTANT thing, it all depends where in nc you move too....because let me tell you NJ has alot of those kind of areas as well...

Old 01-08-2007, 06:15 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Those southern people have a right to maintain their cultural sovereignty. They did not ask to be blasted with a bunch of tax refugees. There are not many nations that are welcoming to foreigners and face it a NYer in the deep south is a foreigner. With all of these Yankees and NYers the Southern culture is sure to be diluted and then a memory.

You refugees took the easy way and left your homes, chased out by politicians taxing and ghettos infringing on your way of life. You should have stayed and fought harder, we need your help up here. Instead you took the easy way out and now part of the deal is facing the wrath of the locals you have thrown yourself upon.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:08 AM

SAm walk a mile in peoples shoes, sorry you cant change corruption and not everyoen is looking to change the ways and the funny thing is there are so few Natives left that just cracks me up...I dont live in the ghetto and if you think that is the easy way well then your very well mistaken...my point was that if people are open to some change its not always a bad thing..and the fact that NYKERS are everywhere doesnt mean NC is the only state they are going to or running to as u put it.....and some parts of NC are not the deep south, I would sooner refer to Mississsippi and louisianna as the deep south my freind, so and YES THEY DO HAVE THE RIGHT to Maintain their Culture without a doubt.....just like many of states did NOT ASK to be blasted however that is very narrow minded of you to think that PEOPLE STAY in there states and that they shouldnt have options FOR A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE boy oh boy...

Old 01-08-2007, 07:10 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
There is a difference between maintaining your culture and being an ignorant jerk that makes assumptions about people before getting to know them.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:24 AM

Garmin I sooo agree..........I think it is more ignorance than anything else...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York