Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2021, 09:35 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,773,686 times

Advertisements

The predictions are out! Let's see if it comes to pass. Don't know how I feel about this. I like snow but... not too much.

https://pix11.com/news/local-news/ne...JhJrZm3fFp7PM8

The 230th edition of The Old Farmer’s Almanac is out and you can dive in to all that it offers, including what’s possibly in store for the tri-state area in the approaching winter months.

Off the bat, the color scheme in the almanac’s graphic below indicates that it’s going to be a very cold 2021-2022 winter season across much of the country.

The almanac warns that most Americans should prepare for a “season of shivers,” with “positively bone-chilling, below-average temperatures across most of the United States.”

“This coming winter could be one of the longest and coldest that we’ve seen in years,” said Janice Stillman, editor of The Old Farmer’s Almanac.

According to the forecast graphic, the guide predicts most of New York and New Jersey will see a “cold, snowy” winter.

While the northeast region as a whole is expected to see near-to-below normal snowfall, the almanac noted that precipitation will be above normal for northern areas of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 09:43 AM

7,369 posts, read 4,149,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
While the northeast region as a whole is expected to see near-to-below normal snowfall, the almanac noted that precipitation will be above normal for northern areas of the region.
I've been relying on the Old Farmer's Almanac for thirty years and it is usually pretty darn accurate.

Quote:
By tradition, The Old Farmer’s Almanac employs three scientific disciplines to make long-range predictions: solar science, the study of sunspots and other solar activity; climatology, the study of prevailing weather patterns; and meteorology, the study of the atmosphere. We predict weather trends and events by comparing solar patterns and historical weather conditions with current solar activity.
https://www.almanac.com/winter-exten...armers-almanac

Sunspots https://www.almanac.com/content/what-are-sunspots

I feel sorry for landlords - After getting hit with non-paying tenants, landlords will be hit with higher heating costs. With gas over $3.00 per gallon, home heating oil costs will be high. Probably higher than average for the last decade. Coupled with a cooler winter, it's going to be a strain on landlords.

Old 10-01-2021, 02:39 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,376,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I feel sorry for landlords
Me too. They are famously the most caring, loving, and generous profession. And they work so damn hard for every red cent.

Seriously, I don't envy them, but I don't necessarily feel sorry for them either.

Non-payment of rent sucks, but for the most part that is due to a situation out of everyone's control. As for the cost of heating oil, well, if your business model includes heating a house in winter with oil, well, that is part of the risk. If you are not willing to take that risk, become a landlord somewhere warm. And hope the electrical grid holds up when the mercury soars.

Old 10-01-2021, 05:07 PM

20,073 posts, read 20,883,901 times
They say this every year.
“Oh it’s gonna be a bad winter”.
We’ll see.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:56 AM

180 posts, read 215,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
They say this every year.
“Oh it’s gonna be a bad winter”.
We’ll see.
Exactly. I don't even pay attention to these predictions any more. Every winter is going to be the coldest winter on record, every summer is going to be the hottest summer on record, come up with some new material Even a "mild" winter around here is not exactly a stroll in the park, so I'll still be doing standard winter prep either way.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:15 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,773,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I've been relying on the Old Farmer's Almanac for thirty years and it is usually pretty darn accurate.
Oh, no. I heard the same thing. I like snow and cold winters (within reason) but not something too extreme. Well, we shall see. In the past few winters, it's been kind of tame & lame.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:42 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,376,919 times
Quote:
Oh, no. I heard the same thing. I like snow and cold winters (within reason) but not something too extreme. Well, we shall see. In the past few winters, it's been kind of tame & lame.
Last winter was a pretty good one. The overall total was not extreme by any means, maybe a few inches above average, but there were a couple big snow events downstate. One where the snow stuck around for quite a while.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 10-05-2021 at 10:51 AM..

Old 03-19-2022, 05:02 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,192,261 times
Quote:
I remember the 90's I swear we got so much and far to many blizzards. It got so bad we all had to move our cars from the streets so the plow could put the snow in trucks and take to a park or a river to dump it. It nearly killed me those 10 straight years of big, frequent snow storms, and the blizzards.

Now that I have a place to live where I don't have to shovel the darn snow or even clean off my car of course now we hardly get any, figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: