Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 02:44 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
The most rural parts of NYS have to be near the Montreal border.
Outside of Plattsburgh and Malone, probably, but it is pretty mountainous as well. parts of the Southern Tier can be quite rural as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 08:38 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Literally every single metro area and micro area in NY state is losing population, slowly but surely. Based on Census data from 2019 to 2020, the biggest losers were:

Watertown -1.9%
Oneonta -1.1%
Gloversville -1.0%
Elmira -0.9%
Ithaca -0.9%

The ones that are losing at the lowest rate are:

Poughkeepsie -0.1%
Hudson -0.1%
Kingston -0.1%
Albany -0.2%
Buffalo -0.2%

I don't get it. The whole state lost 126K people in just one year, which is 0.6% of the population. I think it's mostly because of boomers finally retiring and opting to move south, to escape rough winters.

Old 12-15-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Literally every single metro area and micro area in NY state is losing population, slowly but surely. Based on Census data from 2019 to 2020, the biggest losers were:

Watertown -1.9%
Oneonta -1.1%
Gloversville -1.0%
Elmira -0.9%
Ithaca -0.9%

The ones that are losing at the lowest rate are:

Poughkeepsie -0.1%
Hudson -0.1%
Kingston -0.1%
Albany -0.2%
Buffalo -0.2%

I don't get it. The whole state lost 126K people in just one year, which is 0.6% of the population. I think it's mostly because of boomers finally retiring and opting to move south, to escape rough winters.
Estimates have been shown to be off at times. NY State as a whole grew to get over 20 million people for the first time and at least 4 of these areas actually grew from last official census. https://data.burlingtonfreepress.com...rea/320-15380/

https://data.burlingtonfreepress.com...rea/320-27060/

https://data.burlingtonfreepress.com...rea/320-10580/

While Dutchess lost a little bit, the Orange County portion of the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metro area grew: https://data.burlingtonfreepress.com...ork/050-36071/
https://data.burlingtonfreepress.com...ork/050-36027/

Jefferson County(Watertown) had slight growth: https://data.burlingtonfreepress.com...ork/050-36045/

New York: https://data.burlingtonfreepress.com...w-york/040-36/

Old 12-16-2021, 08:27 AM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
You are correct that back in 2013 I was very close to actually moving there while I was unemployed with limited savings. I remember discussing it with you in Jan 2013.

I am sort of considering it, but probably won't actually pursue it, since I'm now settled here in Jacksonville, FL and doing well with career and home ownership, etc. But after much thought, I really do think it would be my favorite region to live in the country. I daydream about it a LOT and have spent hours exploring places on Google maps. I may plan a visit/vacation there next summer.

Four years ago, I was applying to jobs all over the entire state of NY. I had a job offer in Albany, but declined it and instead accepted an offer for a job here in Jacksonville, FL since I believed it was the better opportunity. Occasionally, I regret my decision, but I feared that if I were to be laid off in Albany, it could be very challenging to find employment. I also remember having a phone interview with a recruiter in Rochester, and she giggled and said that people typically only look for jobs in Rochester if they have family in the area because of the long winters and tons of snow. She ended up ghosting me. So basically, it seems like upstate NY employers are averse to hiring outsiders.

Also, back in 2015, I had some phone interviews with employers in Buffalo, but was ultimately ghosted. I am under the impression that upstate NY employers are very averse to outsiders, unfortunately. Of course, this issue isn't exclusive to NY, but it seems extra prevalent there.

Regardless, jobs in my career field that are a good fit for me are still VERY scarce in upstate NY. As we speak, there are only a couple job postings in Buffalo, maybe one in Rochester, one in Syracuse and one in Albany, at any given moment. I think there was one in Binghamton, also. Typically only one or two job postings per metro area. Oh well, that's just how it is up there.
I grew up in WNY in Niagara county, worked at Harrison Radiator in Lockport for 14 years. The issue wasn't so much that the area was adverse to outsiders (well, from a people/social standpoint), there was just nothing to bring them there. Some of the highest taxes in the nation, bad job situation, poor roads, crap weather, excess regulations, high cost of doing business. Very few moved in (we did have some engineers at Harrison that moved in, but not many) and a lot moved out. Of the top-10 graduates in my high-school class, I was the last to leave. Most people in the area had family that had lived there for generations and never moved 50 miles from where they were born. So from that standpoint, a very parochial, sheltered population. But, people were still nice and welcoming.

I understand that things may have changed considerably since I left. Buffalo is supposed to have a pretty large criminal alien population now.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I grew up in WNY in Niagara county, worked at Harrison Radiator in Lockport for 14 years. The issue wasn't so much that the area was adverse to outsiders (well, from a people/social standpoint), there was just nothing to bring them there. Some of the highest taxes in the nation, bad job situation, poor roads, crap weather, excess regulations, high cost of doing business. Very few moved in (we did have some engineers at Harrison that moved in, but not many) and a lot moved out. Of the top-10 graduates in my high-school class, I was the last to leave. Most people in the area had family that had lived there for generations and never moved 50 miles from where they were born. So from that standpoint, a very parochial, sheltered population. But, people were still nice and welcoming.

I understand that things may have changed considerably since I left. Buffalo is supposed to have a pretty large criminal alien population now.
Where are you getting that from?

Old 12-16-2021, 08:56 AM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where are you getting that from?
There are a bunch of articles I've seen, this is just one. https://www.theodysseyonline.com/imm...gee-population

The fact that a significant numer were criminal aliens, rather than law abiding immigrants that went through the legal immigration process, comes largely from friends in the area I stay in contact with.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There are a bunch of articles I've seen, this is just one. https://www.theodysseyonline.com/imm...gee-population

The fact that a significant numer were criminal aliens, rather than law abiding immigrants that went through the legal immigration process, comes largely from friends in the area I stay in contact with.
Where did you get that from? Refugees are actually vetted quite heavily and I didn't see anything in the article that mentions "criminal aliens". Perhaps they do not understand the process of how refugees get here and are not making a distinction. If anything, refugees are escaping a terrible situation like war, genocide, etc.

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/r...sylum/refugees

Old 08-25-2023, 03:30 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Growing up in the northern suburbs of Syracuse many of my peers in Middle school were kids from other places in the United States. I knew someone from Iowa, Michigan, and Florida. Some teachers were not from the area either, remember one from San Antonio, Texas. I went to a private school though. I grew up with well over a thousand new homes being built every year in my area. My bus went through neighborhoods under construction and many of the people buying the new homes weren't from the area.

According what I heard years ago, Syracuse in the 1970s and 1980s was the test market for new products because of the demographics matched the US average. After the 1991, everything changed and the test market moved to Columbus, Ohio.

Another Syracuse internet forum always has people posting questions but first saying they are new to the area. This has been in the last couple years.

Old 08-25-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Growing up in the northern suburbs of Syracuse many of my peers in Middle school were kids from other places in the United States. I knew someone from Iowa, Michigan, and Florida. Some teachers were not from the area either, remember one from San Antonio, Texas. I went to a private school though. I grew up with well over a thousand new homes being built every year in my area. My bus went through neighborhoods under construction and many of the people buying the new homes weren't from the area.

According what I heard years ago, Syracuse in the 1970s and 1980s was the test market for new products because of the demographics matched the US average. After the 1991, everything changed and the test market moved to Columbus, Ohio.

Another Syracuse internet forum always has people posting questions but first saying they are new to the area. This has been in the last couple years.
Correct about the area being a test market and you are likely referring to when Hancock Air Force Base was a regular AFB until 1983 in the North Syracuse SD(St. Rose of Lima and until recently St. Margret’s were Catholic elementary schools in the SD, with many going on to Bishop Grimes). It still gets some regular Air Force folks now though.

You also still had General Electric off of Electronics Parkway in the Liverpool area/SD(now where Lockheed Martin is located), which employed thousands. Similar for General Motors, next to GM Circle in the northern portion of DeWitt.

Miller Brewing and Nestle also had plants in Fulton that people from the northern suburbs and even the Syracuse would work at as well.

With that said, the other forum you are referring does get someone asking about the area on a regular basis. So, some are still coming to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York