Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 07:56 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,245,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
It is certainly true that things like racism/structural inequality can contribute to health disparities and we should be aware of them.

We measure COVID by race, and there are clear average differences in outcomes across races. We should acknowledge that. But, if we should also acknowledge that if we measured COVID by income, health insurance, education, occupation we would see a more complex picture about an individuals risks from COVID than simply looking at what race they identify as.

Given that reality, I fear this language is so blunt as to be counter productive.

1) It's so blunt as to be questionable as a matter of policy. An affluent 3rd gen Cuban-American professional teleworking in an wealthy suburb is considered "high risk" while a poor white retail worker who hasn't seen a doctor in 20 years is not. What is the empirical basis to support this conclusion?

2) It's socially/politically counterproductive. This policy is by definition racially discriminatory. While at times that is necessary. For both political and ethical reasons, it should be handled carefully. This is likely to outrage many people who aren't hard-core MAGA fans.

For example, this language could have been written in less inflammatory and frankly more intellectually honest way. For example, they could has said social factors like "poverty, lack of health insurance, high risk occupation, residing in a low income neighborhood" should be considered risk factors.

In practice, I suspect this is largely unenforceable language that will be more of less ignored. This was likely added to satisfy a liberal policy/academic/activist establishment has adopted very left wing posturing on racial issues in recent years. NYS is so deep blue that it really doesn't matter politically to anyone involved in drafting/approving this. But, long term, I do wish there were some more voices in liberal circles pushing against this crude reductionism.
So in other words, you agree with the clearly racist and discriminatory practice but just disappointed that they did not hide it well enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 08:37 AM

2,835 posts, read 2,300,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
So in other words, you agree with the clearly racist and discriminatory practice but just disappointed that they did not hide it well enough?

Respectfully, that wasn't my intended message. IMO, these types of "social background" policies should be narrowly targeted to an individuals specific socioeconomic factors and not based solely a person's racial identity. For example, if residents in certain neighborhoods/workers in certain occupations are at higher risk of COVID, I don't think it is wrong to target resources to these areas/workers. Given social realities, these risk factors will be disproportionately common among black and hispanic people (as well as lower income people).

In prioritizing for distributing vaccinations or testing, I think incorporating those factors makes a lot of sense in where to target. When it comes to rationing treatment among those already sick, I'm less sure. It may make sense to look at aspects of an individuals social background to determine their risk. But, I would like to see more evidence on that point. Statistically, it seems likely to be true that someone with a lower income or no health insurance will have a tougher time recovering than an otherwise comparable patient.

I think this policy recommendation as currently written is unenforceable and will just be ignored. A provider denying treatment on the basis of race alone would be setting themselves up to huge legal liability.

I get why this policy makes many people viscerally upset and the message "don't worry this is just liberal insider baseball" won't assuage anyone concerned about this policy. But, my argument was aimed more at liberals who may be included to defend this policy as written.

Last edited by jpdivola; 01-02-2022 at 08:45 AM..

Old 01-02-2022, 08:58 AM

93,698 posts, read 124,432,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Then why not give treatment to all unvaccinated people regardless of color?

And withhold treatment from all vaccinated people regardless of color?

No, this is not about vaccine status. If you read the article, it says that BIPOC's get favored treatment because they are more at risk due to systematic racism.
This could be tied to vaccine status in terms of access or other circumstances. Some of this could be a matter of mistrust due to past racist practices by government as well.

Can you show where the memo says for white people to not get the treatment?

Also, why just focus on whites, when Asians are not mentioned in terms of being a target population? Ironically, they are the most vaccinated group in NYC, with white residents being second. It would have been nice if the first article had state numbers and included Native Americans/people too.

I agree with jpdivola, as the wording is what’s causing the issue and if it was stated based on socioeconomic status, it wouldn’t get the same pushback, while likely address the purpose it was intended for.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-02-2022 at 09:38 AM..

Old 01-02-2022, 09:03 AM

20,145 posts, read 20,937,684 times
I think it’s time to resurrect the secession movement in NY.
Either upstate breaks away from the metro area, or upstate removes the metro area and they can have their own communist fishbowl. Either or is fine.
North New York and South New York? Or bring back the New Amsterdam name.
Whatever. Just cut those crazies loose.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:18 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,850,546 times
Remember in NY citizens are only participants in governance, while the opposite should be true. In NY there is no such thing as by the people, for the people and of the people.

The vast majority of the state is under represented.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:02 AM

5,751 posts, read 4,126,202 times
Quote:

No, this is not about vaccine status. If you read the article, it says that BIPOC's get favored treatment because they are more at risk due to systematic racism.

Funny that they introduced the vaccine to battle "systematic racism" in the 60's and the more the "vaccine" is injected into society, the worse the symptoms get.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:17 AM

93,698 posts, read 124,432,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Funny that they introduced the vaccine to battle "systematic racism" in the 60's and the more the "vaccine" is injected into society, the worse the symptoms get.
What is this referring to? What are the worse symptoms?

Old 01-02-2022, 10:23 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,247,302 times
So as I scroll thru ALL of the racists and xenophobes profiles herein, I will ask you to please detail where you have called out supposed racism elsewhere on CDE? Because its very easy to screenshot and paste where you havent, or where you have defended true racism on thois site......Ill wait.......

Old 01-02-2022, 10:27 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,247,302 times
Quote:
From the Daily Mail: White people in NY are told not to attempt to get monoclonal antibody treatment from doctors because Gov. Hochul has prioritized it for non-whites

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-shortage.html

White people infected with COVID in New York State - the hardest hit state in the country - are in jeopardy of being turned away from potential lifesaving treatments in favor of other more at-risk races because of a national shortage of two promising types of medical treatments.

In a shocking memo sent out by the state's Health Department and approved by Gov. Kathy Hochul on Monday, white residents were told not to bother trying to get Pfizer's Paxlovid pill or monoclonal antibody treatments.

Non-white race or Hispanic/Latino ethnicity should be considered a risk factor as longstanding systemic health and social inequities have contributed to an increased risk of severe illness and death from COVID-19,' the document reads....

Minorities are considered at greater risk simply because of "systematic racism."

This is anti-white racism. Will this medical policy be extended to cancer cures? Critical surgery? Sorry, you're white. No medical care for you.

Also on Fox News: New York says it will prioritize non-White people in distributing low supply of COVID-19 treatments

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new...-19-treatments

Empire State considers being a minority a health 'risk factor' due to 'longstanding systemic health and social inequities' ...

The plan includes a section on eligibility for the scarce antiviral pills that people must meet to receive the treatment, including a line stating a person needs to have "a medical condition or other factors that increase their risk for severe illness."

One such "risk factor" is being a race or ethnicity that is not White due to "longstanding systemic health and social inequities"

"Non-white race or Hispanic/Latino ethnicity should be considered a risk factor, as longstanding systemic health and social inequities have contributed to an increased risk of severe illness and death from COVID-19," the memo reads. ...
Before you melt away, can you detail where REAL racist policies and practices were deemed as such by yourself? And are you that obtuse to not understand the context of treating at risk groups as a priority during a public health scare? So should we healthy young adults be upset because people that are elderly were prioritized? Isnt that ageism??

I would love to hear your thoughts about the Tuskeegee Syphilis issue......how racist was that?

Old 01-02-2022, 10:37 AM

20,145 posts, read 20,937,684 times

Your honor, we rest our case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York