Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 09:17 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,569 times

Advertisements

That didn't last long. 24 hours after the first ruling, the appeals court issued a stay of the ruling (i.e. temporarily cancelled the ruling). So masks are back.

Apparently the appeals court will hear arguments on Friday so it is moving quickly, but it's clear that the final result depends more on the political leanings of the judge than on the application of the law itself. Sad state of affairs in our country that "right" and "wrong" on any particular issue depends on whether the deciding individual votes blue or red.

The first ruling came from a red-area judge and the stay came from a blue-area judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 02:25 PM

20,045 posts, read 20,844,919 times
It’s so rigged. This thing has been and will continue to be a political tit for tat.
Has nothing to do with safety and the health of the people.
It’s a bunch of political elites going back and forth trying to stick to the other team.

Old 01-26-2022, 03:14 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
That didn't last long. 24 hours after the first ruling, the appeals court issued a stay of the ruling (i.e. temporarily cancelled the ruling). So masks are back.

Apparently the appeals court will hear arguments on Friday so it is moving quickly, but it's clear that the final result depends more on the political leanings of the judge than on the application of the law itself. Sad state of affairs in our country that "right" and "wrong" on any particular issue depends on whether the deciding individual votes blue or red.

The first ruling came from a red-area judge and the stay came from a blue-area judge.
Appeals courts in NY are virtually all Democrat-dominated, since they are appointed by the governor, and the Democrats have held that office for almost two decades. Ideology aside, imagine how good it would be for their career to overrule a policy instituted by the most powerful member of their political party, and you'll have the result of this hearing.

That being said, I think the behavior of SCOTUS in the last couple of decades has shown that judges will vote down ideological lines when important issues come up.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:15 PM

3,490 posts, read 1,408,723 times
Funny how masks are no longer required indoors here in NY, yet so many people still continue to wear them. People are so stupid!

Old 03-01-2022, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Funny how masks are no longer required indoors here in NY, yet so many people still continue to wear them. People are so stupid!
Ain’t nothing wrong with that. That is the way it should be…optional…
You wanna wear a mask in the shower, alone, fine. But don’t be telling me/us that we have to.
It shoulda been a choice based recommendation all along.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Ain’t nothing wrong with that. That is the way it should be…optional…
You wanna wear a mask in the shower, alone, fine. But don’t be telling me/us that we have to.
It shoulda been a choice based recommendation all along.

But if it's not required, why wear one? I swear, I feel like ripping the masks off of people's face! I'm sorry if I'm being harsh, but that's just how I feel. I'm so angry that people are not moving on and trying to get back to some form of normality. The fear in people needs to end and it needs to end NOW!

Old 03-06-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
But if it's not required, why wear one? I swear, I feel like ripping the masks off of people's face! I'm sorry if I'm being harsh, but that's just how I feel. I'm so angry that people are not moving on and trying to get back to some form of normality. The fear in people needs to end and it needs to end NOW!
It’s silly, yes. But it’s kinda still America a little bit so I have no issue with someone wearing a covid muzzle, a full hazmat suit, or whatever. Driving alone, in the shower, out in the woods, etc…
That’s their choice, that’s on them.
I don’t however, like being told what to do, especially under all of the mysterious and misinformed hairbrained communist nonsense surrounding the covid. Following the ever changing science. Nah.
They can suck it.

Old 03-07-2022, 05:22 AM

1,261 posts, read 560,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I'm really happy about this but it's really only a procedural victory- the issue is that the mandate came through the wrong channel. She simply needs to do it through the "right" channel and it comes back. It's easier for her to do the schools than the private businesses, though.

At the very least, the school mandate can come back through the individual school districts or county school boards, but it's possible that she can even do it state-wide via the NY department of education.

This is what people in generally fail to realize about most court cases. Decisions largely come down due to procedural or administrative issues, not the content, desired outcome of a law, or feelings. And that's the way it should be.

People lose their minds about SCOTUS decisions because the talking heads all scream politics, but if they took the time to read the written decisions, half the time it boils down to "we understand what you're trying to do here, but this isn't the method. Now I will draw you a road map of how to get this done so it passes muster."]

Old 03-11-2022, 05:29 PM

I'm really sick and tired of people around me giving me attitudes and hissy fits about not wearing a mask. Even when riding elevators with people, some people ask me to put a mask on if I am going to ride the elevator with them. What the hell?? I got vaccinated, so I'm immune! If other people don't want to get vaccinated and continue living in fear, why must I get dragged into this? Gosh, I wish people would move on already...

Old 03-12-2022, 02:04 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
How about you mind your own damn business? If people still choose to wear them, that's their choice, NOT YOURS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: