Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2022, 04:34 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,385 times

Advertisements

In June of 2017 I received a speeding ticket in New York state while traveling for work. I never received a court date. I followed up numerus times over the following year and was always told I'm good and I'd receive something in the mail for my court date. I finally stopped following up and ultimately forgot about it.

Today I received a weird letter from the town of Bedford saying something about Covid and minimizing in person contact and that they're letting me plead guilty to a littering charge rather than the speeding ticket.

There's no way to make a payment online or anything, no phone number to call. This is just asking that I mail in my plea. If I accept it's a $350 fine and $93 NYS surcharge. I'm honestly fine with paying it but this whole thing sounds off and I'll be calling court tomorrow.

Anyone ever have something like this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 04:46 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Sounds like they must need the money now...

Old 02-09-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Sounds like they must need the money now...

That was the first thing I said to my wife. They either hired some intern to go through all the old files as a money grab, or it's a scam.

Old 02-10-2022, 06:16 PM

729 posts, read 531,872 times
Speeding ticket letter received nearly 5 years later???

Uh...doesn't the US constitution guarantee a speedy trial? Is there a statute of limitations that applies? Look into it. You may be off the hook.

Old 02-11-2022, 06:38 AM

180 posts, read 214,542 times
The content of the letter isn't strange. Some towns have been doing traffic court via mail. I had the same thing happen with Yorktown over the summer. They sent me a reduced violation (parking on pavement or whatever), I mailed it back to them saying that I accept, then they sent me a bill with instructions to either mail a check or pay online.

5 years is a bit ridiculous though. I had one that took 2 years and even that seemed odd.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:11 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
Speeding ticket letter received nearly 5 years later???

Uh...doesn't the US constitution guarantee a speedy trial? Is there a statute of limitations that applies? Look into it. You may be off the hook.
Statute of limitations was satisfied when the charge was filed. Constitutional speedy trial may have been violated, although tolling by executive order helps the prosecution with this.

In general, nothing bizarre happened here. You received a plea offer. You either accept it or you don't. If you don't, then be prepared to attend court for trial or further proceedings.

But all in all, receiving a written plea offer in the mail on such a matter is very normal for a NYS Town or Village court.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:01 AM

615 posts, read 447,835 times
Verify it's not a scam, pay up and move on.

Old 02-11-2022, 12:26 PM

I went online and got the court number. Sure enough this is something they're doing right now. Obviously looking for ways to generate money. This is actually a win for me. I don't have to worry about points, didn't have to worry about it for 5 years, and I'm getting a plea down without having to go to court or hire a lawyer. Nobody likes having to lay out $400 suddenly but given all other options this was really the best outcome I could have hoped for on this.

Old 02-11-2022, 02:14 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
Verify it's not a scam, pay up and move on.

Its definitely a scam, just all depends on where the money is going to.

Old 02-11-2022, 02:15 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
I went online and got the court number. Sure enough this is something they're doing right now. Obviously looking for ways to generate money. This is actually a win for me. I don't have to worry about points, didn't have to worry about it for 5 years, and I'm getting a plea down without having to go to court or hire a lawyer. Nobody likes having to lay out $400 suddenly but given all other options this was really the best outcome I could have hoped for on this.

Better to pay a 1 time flat rate than to have points on license and insurance goes up for X number of years. Insurance will go up anyway regardless, but why add to it. Definitely a win in your favor. And you don't have to go to court as you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: