Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 04:53 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times

Advertisements

This crap needs to go away. Unfairly targets minorities and low income residents. It’s overkill.
Modern vehicles are already built to stringent emissions standards and aside from a complete failure of the entire system they are extremely effective. It’s total garbage pandering and basically another tax.
I’m referring to the smog portion, not the safety inspection.
Write the Governor, congressman, senators, legislators, masterbaters, whatever.
Enough is enough already. Like the saying going on now, our vehicles need to be worthy of roads not worthy of vehicles. It’s bogus. The info is out there regarding these inspection requirements being nothing more than pandering and unnecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 05:11 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times
I'm curious, but how does it target minorities and low income residents? I'm only asking because this something that I don't if too many people know about, if so.

Besides that, you are a trip...

Old 03-10-2022, 05:26 PM

Many minorities and low income citizens cannot afford to purchase newer vehicles, many are driving 2nd or 3rd hand older high mileage vehicles which are more prone to trigger a check engine light. The check engine light instantly fails a smog test. Repairs to correct this can be anywhere from a few hundred to thousands of dollars. Many cannot afford the repairs and drive the vehicle with an expired sticker which results in being issued a ticket. And more tickets until you can have vehicle repaired. It’s a vicious cycle.

Your government(and mechanic) will lead you to believe via fear mongering that a check engine light may cause you imminent death(yes exaggerating a bit).
Couldn’t be further from the truth. Modern vehicle(1996 and up) are designed with a highly effective and high tech computer controlled emissions system. As long as the system is intact, it is working as designed. The NY regulations and thresholds are way overkill. The emissions portion should be subject to a visual inspection only to ensure it is intact and has not been tampered with.

Like I said, the info is out there to back up my claims.

This nonsense unfairly targets minorities and lower income citizens as well as those suffering from various financial hardships, especially now going into a recession.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:24 PM

9,119 posts, read 6,165,173 times
OMG - it's the r-word again. This time challenging safety and health requirements.

Don't spew racist drivel. Take action.

Message to OP: forward your request to those who can change the law. Maybe AOC or Chuck Schumer. Find out who represents you in the NYS Assembly and take action.

Speaker of the NYS Assembly: Carl Heastie
https://nyassembly.gov/mem/Carl-E-Heastie

Majority Leader: Crystal Peoples-Stokes
https://nyassembly.gov/mem/Crystal-D-Peoples-Stokes

Old 03-10-2022, 06:30 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times
Oh, quit whining. You don't think the safety inspection isn't just as discriminatory? Like when you need new tires, rotors, brakes, or else they find rust on the frame, which you can't fix? I've paid out far more $$$ for safety inspection items than I ever have for emissions items at the time of my inspections. 20 years owning vehicles, all 3 of mine reached 10 or more years of age before being retired. My current ride is 11 years old.

All of my "fails" were due to safety items, and I paid out the funds to have them fixed so I could pass. Only time I ever had an emissions issue on my car it was not during an inspection.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:31 PM

Already did.
Waiting on a call back from Governor Hitler. We’ll see if that happens…
Tree huggers beware, you are being duped with this law. Research is your friend.

I do not necessarily oppose safety inspections.
I would believe, and hope, that the average person does not want to die a fiery mangled death and would out of common sense, and self preservation, want to keep their vehicle somewhat road worthy. But the smog test is nothing more than a cash grab and political pandering.

Old 03-11-2022, 06:52 AM

5,687 posts, read 4,086,058 times
This is how democrats create jobs. Not through actually creating products for sale, but my making obsesive regulations, and hiring people to regulate the restrictions and "fix" the problems. All designed to hold back growth and gain control over us.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:31 AM

^ Is this even true though? Meaning the thread topic, especially given the tenor of the original post. Where is the proof of this going on?

Old 03-11-2022, 07:50 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^ Is this even true though? Meaning the thread topic, especially given the tenor of the original post. Where is the proof of this going on?
Who needs proof anymore? The concept of "disparate impact" has been around a long time now. Even if there's no discriminatory intent, if the net result is discrimination, then it's per se racist. That's how they get expensive towns to accept "affordable housing".

But why stop at vehicle inspections? Sales taxes are discriminatory as well. Non-Asian/Indian minorities are disproportionately poorer, ergo sales taxes are racist since they're less able to pay them than 'ole Privileged Pete. They're also less able to pay property taxes - let's do away with them too, gotta work on that equity!

Old 03-11-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Who needs proof anymore? The concept of "disparate impact" has been around a long time now. Even if there's no discriminatory intent, if the net result is discrimination, then it's per se racist. That's how they get expensive towns to accept "affordable housing".

But why stop at vehicle inspections? Sales taxes are discriminatory as well. Non-Asian/Indian minorities are disproportionately poorer, ergo sales taxes are racist since they're less able to pay them than 'ole Privileged Pete. They're also less able to pay property taxes - let's do away with them too, gotta work on that equity!
This still doesn't answer the question of proof. Again, reading the post, it appears that people got caught by the T word in order for people to talk about something else in the forum that was likely made up for that reason. Read between the lines as to why this even got started, guys and girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: