Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Great Lakes a good or bad thing for New York?
Good 4 100.00%
Bad 0 0%
Neutral 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 08:53 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,273,393 times

Advertisements

Blessing: helped NY economically with the canals linking to them.
Drawback: lake effect snow

Are there other blessings and drawbacks? Vote and discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2022, 09:03 AM

45,587 posts, read 60,969,746 times
How much of the state does that Lake Effect Snow impact in real life not just some weather presenter talking?

I know that down here in Maryland any even dusting of snow is labelled "Lake Effect" even when the weather system dropping it is coming out of the south.

Old 04-17-2022, 09:44 AM

94,144 posts, read 124,982,679 times
I would add a source of drinking water, beaches, state parks, water recreation(boating, fishing, etc.) and the related tourism, among other things(shipping, etc.). So, I’d say that the pros outweigh the cons.

Lake Effect snow is more of an inconvenience, but isn’t the worst snow to get. It is usually fluffy snow, but other snowfall/weather systems like Nor’easters and Clippers tend to bring heavier snow and frigid temperatures.

I will say that driving can be tough on I-81 east of Lake Ontario/west of Tug Hill, as that is an area of high snowfall totals and you can get whiteout conditions. On the flip side, snowmobiling is big on Tug Hill because of the snowfall. In turn, it brings tourism to that area.

Flooding can be an issue at times, but aren’t too common.

Hopefully others will participate in the thread.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-17-2022 at 10:56 AM..

Old 04-17-2022, 12:24 PM

5,789 posts, read 4,168,516 times
It does tend to make the weather more cloudy.

As far a flooding, Lake Ontario used to flood infrequently. Ever since adopting Plan 2014 (in 2017), a new way of regulating the water level, the lake has flooded twice, and residents are on pins and needles every spring as they don't allow for the thawing and spring showers.

Old 04-17-2022, 01:22 PM

1,213 posts, read 572,406 times
Can’t it be both?
Great in the summer.
Not so much in winter.

Old 04-18-2022, 09:22 AM

94,144 posts, read 124,982,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I would add a source of drinking water, beaches, state parks, water recreation(boating, fishing, etc.) and the related tourism, among other things(shipping, etc.). So, I’d say that the pros outweigh the cons.

Lake Effect snow is more of an inconvenience, but isn’t the worst snow to get. It is usually fluffy snow, but other snowfall/weather systems like Nor’easters and Clippers tend to bring heavier snow and frigid temperatures.

I will say that driving can be tough on I-81 east of Lake Ontario/west of Tug Hill, as that is an area of high snowfall totals and you can get whiteout conditions. On the flip side, snowmobiling is big on Tug Hill because of the snowfall. In turn, it brings tourism to that area.

Flooding can be an issue at times, but aren’t too common.

Hopefully others will participate in the thread.
In terms of the bolded portion, here is an example of a portion of Upstate that uses a lake as a source: https://www.ocwa.org/about/sources-of-water/

From the source: "OCWA also treats and delivers water originating from Lake Ontario near the City of Oswego to our Ontario Water Treatment Plant. In 2018, approximately 19 million gallons per day or 50.5% of OCWA’s water came from Lake Ontario. The customers receiving water originating from Lake Ontario are mostly located in the northern and eastern half of Onondaga County. OCWA customers in Madison, Oneida, Oswego and Cayuga counties receive all their water from Lake Ontario."

https://www.ocwa.org/wp-content/uplo...2022-Color.pdf

Does anyone know if other parts of the state near the Great Lakes gets a portion of their water source from Lake Ontario or Lake Erie? I ask because I know that the Finger Lakes provide water to many as well.

Old 04-18-2022, 12:15 PM

5,789 posts, read 4,168,516 times
^Monroe county get's most of it's water from 2 taps into Lake Ontario. One in Greece, one in Webster. There used to be a water plant in Hamlin, which served the Brockport area, but they merged with MCWA. The city of Rochester used to also have a water plant on Lake Ontario. Additionally Kodak also draws it's own water from Lake Ontario in Greece. Most of the city get's it's water from Canadice and Hemlock lakes. I believe they are the 2 smallest Finger Lakes.

https://www.mcwa.com/my-water/my-wat...er-comes-from/

Old 04-18-2022, 02:01 PM

3,602 posts, read 3,113,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Blessing: helped NY economically with the canals linking to them.
Drawback: lake effect snow

Are there other blessings and drawbacks? Vote and discuss.
Oh I dunno...

25% of NY electricity generation (Niagara between L Erie and L Ontario)
6.2 million NYers getting their drinking water (per Buffalo-Niagara Waterkeeper web site)
Great Lakes shipping and linkage to Atlantic thru St. Lawrence Seaway
Hundreds of miles of lakefront beaches and parks
Recreational and sport fishing (Canada also has commercial fisheries in Lake Erie)
Over 100,000 registered recreational boaters in Great Lakes counties
Abundant freshwater access for industries (water use, cooling, transportation, etc)

Moderating influence of lakes extends growing season in WNY fruit orchards and vineyards
Moderating influence of lakes means cooler and less cloudy summer days than further inland

[Lake effect snow is concentrated in areas east of the lakes. Buffalo is actually on the edge of the snow belt (Lake Erie only fronts about half of the metro) with areas north of the city receiving only 1/4 the snow totals of areas south of the city. The airport weather station lies between the 2 extremes.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York