U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2007, 12:16 AM

5 posts, read 25,483 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I will be moving to New York in early Feb. We live in a city shoebox right now and we would like to live in single family house. Both of us will be working in midtown Manhattan. Price range is around 700k. Where should we start looking?

Also, is NJ offer any better options if this is my goal?

Thanks a ton, Kram

ps: Approx. commute times for the places you recommend will be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 09:01 AM

4,796 posts, read 5,792,932 times
You can find something nice in Queens. Areas such as Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Floral Park, Douglaston, Woodhaven, Whitestone are all decent areas and I'm sure you can find a nice home in that price range. Commute time is about 30 min I guess. (I don't commute from Queens but others will chime in to give the correct time.)
Good Luck!

Old 01-04-2007, 08:00 PM

302 posts, read 1,351,045 times
check out westchester... you can take the train. I would also recommend Rockland and Orange Counties, but the commute would be a bit longer

Old 01-04-2007, 08:27 PM

2,405 posts, read 6,368,650 times
I would recommend the Northern part of Fairfield county (Danbury, New Fairfield, Bethel). The taxes are a lot more manageable than the other towns and prices are quite low in comparsion to most of the other areas.

In the seven hundred thousand doller range, you will be lots of great homes. You could be looking at a new 4 bedroom home with 2 full baths, 2 half baths totally about 3600 square feet. Another thing you could call home would be a 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath ranch totalling around 2100 square feet directly on the water in a water front community with a dock in your backyard. Taxes would range in this price range from about $5800 to $9000. It is very hard to beat those taxes.
You're looking at about 75 minutes to Grand Central via the Metronorth train station in Brewster, 10 minutes from any of these towns.

If you want to know for information about the area, don't hesitate to post another message here or PM me.

Jonathan Hall

Old 01-04-2007, 09:03 PM

1,330 posts, read 4,768,244 times
What kind of a commute are you shooting for - how long is your max and do you want public trans or to drive? Are your work hours putting you on the road during rush hour? Do you want a large town or a small town? How important are schools?

A few towns that might catch your interest in Orange county are Monroe, Warwick, Washingtonville all which would be about 1 hour commute and pushing in on some days if there is a holdup on 17 or on the bus. You can catch the train but the schedule is not favorable for anyone trying to make it to NYC anytime this century. Another option would be to car pool with a coworker, you are sure to find a few of them living up in this area.

I have heard good things about Suffren as far as schools and commutability but I have never lived there or visited there much. It is closer to NYC than the other towns and if you are looking for a shorter commute it may be of some interest.

In the first three towns I mentioned you can put away about half of your 700K and still wind up with a nice home. Since you can afford a home at that level I am not sure how interested you are in doing that but having a lower mortgage while still having a nice home can really put you ahead of the game financially and let you have more "toys". And if you decided to go for the full 700K home you will be living quite well LOL! Taxes on such a home (350K)would be somewhere in the 8K range depending on which town you choose. Monroe has a lot of shopping and some good resturants but there are some nice open rural areas left to the town as well. Great schools and very low crime.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:38 PM

5 posts, read 20,344 times
Definitely Long Island. The North Shore of Nassau County is absolutely out of this world. It's pricey though. And the taxes are astronomical, but well worth it. Also, Brooklyn has some really nice spots, especially right around Prospect Park in the Flatbush area.

I moved to California over a year ago and I'm yearning for my New York. Good luck wherever your journey takes you. But, I grew up on Long Island, and there's nothing like the commute on the LIRR into Penn Station, plus if you're working in Midtown that would be perfect. Some of the train rides (including from Hicksville) are only a 20 minute ride into Penn. Long Island is beautiful and the people are great (for the most part). Ahh, I'm missing it more and more just talking about it.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:29 PM

15 posts, read 70,877 times
You don't need such a long commute. Take a look at Sleepy Hollow and Ossining for lovely homes in that price range, established neighborhoods and a 40-45 minute train ride. Hastings-on-Hudson has some homes that may be within reach, a nice town that's really close to Manhattan. Also check out Katonah. If you're working in midtown you can beat Grand Central...

Old 01-06-2007, 02:09 AM

5 posts, read 25,483 times
I would prefer a commute that does not take more than 1 hour door to door. Is this doable? Most days, I expect to ride the public transport, but a few days of driving in would be the idea. I love driving and so a car is a must have anyway.

And yes, a spacious house with 4+ beds and 2+ baths is what I am after.

I am right now checking out some of the suggested areas on mapquest and on realtor sites for some ideas. Thanks for the inputs and keep em coming.....

Old 01-07-2007, 12:23 AM

1,330 posts, read 4,768,244 times
The furthest north you can go would be Monroe and that would exceed your 1 hour commute. 1 hour by bus, 1:20 by train (to penn st.). That is without your travel time to get to the station, and from penn to your workplace. They really do need to improve the commute from up here no reason it should take that long Monroe to NYC. My father can get from Walden (17 miles north) to Brooklyn in 1:15 by car, if off rush hour, if that gives you any idea how sloooow the train is!

So if you do check out the area keep in mind that you won't want to stray too far off from the bus station..but you very well might be impressed with what your $$ can buy up there. Good Luck to you either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or