U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 11:18 PM

6 posts, read 27,961 times

Advertisements

My best advice to you is don't even think about New York City area. There you need a six figure salary to get by, sit in traffic during "rush hours" ...the average to/from work hours, can't let your kids out of your site for a minute without worry, need 3 padlocks on your door..yes, everything is open 24-7 there but it aint worth it. Been there, done that...and moved my family UPSTATE. Here you can let your kids play in the neighborhood, there is no such thing as traffic jams (though there arent many streetlights either), you can earn 45 thou a year and own a 3 bedrm home (except for Albany area), and many of my neighbors dont even lock their doors at night. The bigger cities have a decent nightlife. In NYC when a stranger speaks to you on the street you run away and hope they dont attack or follow you, Upstate when a stranger speaks to you, you say hello! It is two entirely different worlds.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2006, 07:55 AM

59 posts, read 312,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy
1. The "Southern Tier" is basically the southern portion of upstate all the way over to the Catskills (along 17, within, say, 60 miles of PA).
I do agree, our news stations in Elmira would always call it the Southern Tier. Sometimes you would hear "Twin Tiers" because of the Northern Tier of Pennsylvania.

NOTE: Route 17 is called the Southern Tier Expressway

Old 08-15-2006, 08:03 AM

59 posts, read 312,358 times
When I posted, I didn't realize the thread had gone so far!

I grew up north of Albany, but not by far. We called it the Capital District. And then once you got north of like Lake George, it was just the Adirondack Region/North Country. But you were generally right, north of Albany... specially up by Plattsburg.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:25 PM

11 posts, read 66,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Here's a map of the regions that New York State is traditionaly broken up into;

The Finger lakes is just where indiciated, and includes the Rochester Metro area. And the area labeled "Chataqua-Allegheney" is what most refer to as the "Southern Tier". The Niagara Frontier includes Buffalo-Niagara Falls metro area. Upstate, to most of the people who actually live there, would be considered all of the labeled regions except for the Hudson Valley, which most would consider part of the NYC metro area.
Good call, bro. I always laugh at people who consider anything north of NYC "upstate." Technically, it is, but whenever I'd hear someone call Rockland County "upstate," I'd always say to myself, "you have no idea what upstate is."

Old 10-17-2006, 09:56 PM

10 posts, read 48,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer8 View Post
I can't wait for snow!! My husband's on a mission to grant my wishes!!! I hope it's in the cards! I've never had a white Christmas; and none of my kids or myself have ever built a snowman. Am I romanticizing?
So what's wrong with romanticizing? I still do and I've been my entire life. There is nothing more magical than a white Christmas. Making snow men or women during a snow storm is so much fun. Getting into snowball fights during the creation of snow creatures is a requiredment, but there must be hot cocoa with marshmellows ready to warm up with in the kitchen. I get excited just thinking about it. Now one step better is having a fireplace to sit in front too. I love the snow!

The bummer part is, our snow season, at least here in the Sothern Tier, has been getting iffy. But this year, they predict a lot of snow. It takes a special kind of snow to make snow balls, and snowmen. It has to be what we call, good packing snow. That usually comes earlier on in the winter. If it's too warm, the snow will heavy and slushy, too cold and it will be a dry snow that won't pack.

So romanticize away, it's a blast. Just wait till you see the lights reflect against the ground snow. Oh and that wonderful, soft silence that comes with a heavy snow.

Hermette

Old 10-19-2006, 06:14 AM

3 posts, read 11,066 times
Once you are not in the City, you are Upstate. Then go to the Finger Lakes region, then go to Skaneateles. Then Relax, you are in the StoryBook Village.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,091 times
I'm from Binghamton and we do NOT call soda "pop"... And I was just recently down in Florida and I was told I had a deep ny accent?? Before that day I never knew i had one.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:09 PM

9,092 posts, read 17,807,961 times
yeah - old thread, but I too would never say Pop .... nor would any self respecting person in my town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York