Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 02:02 PM

1,898 posts, read 3,470,035 times

Advertisements

Did you see where NY paid twice as much for covid tests as California? LOL Hochul got a donation for her campaign from the owner of the company, so NY gave the company like $386M for the tests.

Unreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 02:57 PM

3,535 posts, read 1,450,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I actually don’t disagree, but what may surprise some is that both major parties play a part in this, depending on the rights one refers to.

To stay on topic though, personally, it is has been a long while since wearing a mask has been a regular thing outside of maybe church and even then. So, I’m wondering what has been the experience of others within the past year when it comes to things of that sort?
Yeah, I don't understand why sooo many people are wearing masks in church. Everywhere else, life is normal with very few people wearing masks. Then I walk into church and 90% of people are masked up! What's up with that?

Old 09-17-2022, 03:25 PM

94,145 posts, read 124,982,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Yeah, I don't understand why sooo many people are wearing masks in church. Everywhere else, life is normal with very few people wearing masks. Then I walk into church and 90% of people are masked up! What's up with that?
Some of it, at leas tin my experience, is related to people that have pre existing conditions like asthma or other health issues like diabetes. So, from my personal experience, that is something that has come into play.

Ironically, I'm at a place where I see a few, mainly international students wearing masks right now. So, some of this may cultural, in terms of how they deal with the virus.

Old 09-17-2022, 07:25 PM

5,789 posts, read 4,168,516 times
Someone mentioned that both parties are taking rights away. I'm pretty sure they might be talking about the Supreme Court decision to remove federal government jurisdiction and give it to the states. Giving MORE rights to the states, where the Constitution says it should be. So MORE rights to make the decision is bad? Pretty crazy. Not a surprise in this dumbed down society who allows things like this to go into the media and public opinion" to be distorted.

Old 09-17-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Someone mentioned that both parties are taking rights away. I'm pretty sure they might be talking about the Supreme Court decision to remove federal government jurisdiction and give it to the states. Giving MORE rights to the states, where the Constitution says it should be. So MORE rights to make the decision is bad? Pretty crazy. Not a surprise in this dumbed down society who allows things like this to go into the media and public opinion" to be distorted.
Nope, there are other rights as well. Even with that, that still can set the stage for said rights to be taken away(i.e.-Mississippi). Whether one agrees with that or not is another story, but it is occurring nonetheless from both directions. To say otherwise would be disingenuous.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-17-2022 at 08:10 PM..

Old 09-17-2022, 08:05 PM

3,535 posts, read 1,450,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Problem is there are not enough people to NOT vote for her.
Also, with today’s political climate, people are going to vote along party lines no matter what.
So in the case of NY, the democratic candidate could be a child molesting axe murderer and still win.
The days of people voting for the “best” candidate, regardless of party are gone forever.
In my lifetime, whatever is left of it, I do not foresee NY electing another non democratic governor.
It’s just not in the cards.
This is just not a problem for NY, but also a problem for the whole country. It baffles my mind that Trump didn't win the last election and didn't get a second term. How Biden got 81m votes is beyond me. It's like, oh a virus created in a Wuhan lab is Trump's fault, let's vote him out! How ignorant are people to believe that!?

The only thing saving Republicans at the moment is the electoral college, but liberals are strongly fighting to do away with that. And if they win and presidential elections end up being based on popular votes instead, then we are so screwed!

Old 09-17-2022, 08:24 PM

Here's a little education for those that need a reminder.

Federal government's powers are few and well defined
States rights are indefinite and numerous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaQwwAPLa-4

Old 09-17-2022, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Here's a little education for those that need a reminder.

Federal government's powers are few and well defined
States rights are indefinite and numerous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaQwwAPLa-4
Again, even at the state level, rights can and are being taken away or at the very least reduced(see the example above). To again deny that would be false. It also isn’t new, as there is a history rights taken away at times in the country’s history.

Also, to the other post, it isn’t a matter of the virus being his fault. You don’t even have to like him to see that if he handled it with more urgency or was ahead of the game(I.e.- don’t dismantle/disband/“defund”/abolish the pandemic team), he wins easily. I remember listening to a show by a political scientist that same as much. So, that played a part in the result.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-17-2022 at 09:16 PM..

Old 09-17-2022, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, even at the state level, rights can and are being taken away or at the very least reduced(see the example above). To again deny that would be false. It also isn’t new, as there is a history rights taken away at times in the country’s history.

Also, to the other post, it isn’t a matter of the virus being his fault. You don’t even have to like him to see that if he handled it with more urgency or was ahead of the game(I.e.- don’t dismantle the pandemic team), he wins easily. I remember listening to a show by a political scientist that same as much. So, that played a part in the result.
You're awfully vague. What rights are being taken away?

Old 09-17-2022, 10:06 PM

20,323 posts, read 21,076,436 times
Quote:
You're awfully vague. What rights are being taken away?
Jumping in…
First example I can think of in NY is gun rights.
Yeah you can still own certain guns but they are doing everything in their power to get as close to a ban as they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York