Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 06:07 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,023,302 times

Advertisements

Do most NYers, really agree with Hochul's anti-2A legislation?

I am including NYC in this too. I live in NYC, and I dont think most people here like NYPD's crummy anti-2A regulations that in practice keep any residents from practicing their right.

Granted, this did not start with Hochul, but with Cuomo after the Sandy Hook incident. I am thinking, he was trying to appease voters, or think he was. Now, Hochul, his understudy is following in footsteps.

Are there really that many liberal minded, woke, SJWs in the State of NY. In NYC, its mostly the transplants in the gentrified areas. They are not the majority though. I thought this place is suppose to be representative republic.

I am probably going to ask this same question in the other subforums of the so-called liberal states, or maybe just one thread encompassing all the liberal states in the general forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 06:17 PM

93,882 posts, read 124,609,502 times
You are overlooking the Tops incident in Buffalo from this summer as well.

Perhaps ask this in the Politics and Controversies forum, which is probably the best place for the thread.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:02 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,023,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You are overlooking the Tops incident in Buffalo from this summer as well.

Perhaps ask this in the Politics and Controversies forum, which is probably the best place for the thread.
I would make a thread in the politics subforum about all the supposedly liberal anti-2A states in general.

Old 09-29-2022, 04:54 AM

961 posts, read 2,509,861 times
Since these laws affect all of NYS (with some variation)..it can be considered "fair game" for this section. It's a real stretch to try and agree with anti-2A legislation in this state. The now referred to "revolving door"...serious crime committed/arrest/release with little or no bail/offender commits another crime...has been devastating to public safety/Totally frustrating to law enforcement/an insult to those adhering to the ever growing gun legislation...in NY. A friend who teaches a gun safety program(without pushing the idea of firearm ownership)has noticed a trend in the last 2-3 years. Folks who were not previously "gun people", have approached him for information, and with questions about firearms ownership. They have legitimate concerns about their day to day safety. He tells me their real surprise in legally obtaining a firearm....is how regimented/documented the process is in purchasing a firearm. Their view of purchasing a firearm was skewed by the media(what a shock-not). As mentioned in some previous thread on this topic. local law enforcement in rural upstate areas (generally) take a more "real world view" on gun law enforcement.

Old 09-29-2022, 05:30 AM

93,882 posts, read 124,609,502 times
Here is an interesting and relevant list that shows that almost 20% of NYers have a gun in the home from 2021 information: https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/pictures...-by-state/#app

I think some states that are viewed as being “liberal” have higher percentages than expected. I also bet that if Upstate was separated, the percentage is likely higher, when considering the counties with quite a few hunters.

What may also be a surprise to some is that Hochul got an “A” rating from the NRA in the past: https://www.wshu.org/long-island-new...-ago?_amp=true

Old 09-29-2022, 09:21 AM

5,764 posts, read 4,139,929 times
The government has an obligation to protect us. They are not doing it by allowing criminals to have guns, but wanting to take them away from law abiding citizens.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:47 AM

6,517 posts, read 3,202,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
Since these laws affect all of NYS (with some variation)..it can be considered "fair game" for this section. It's a real stretch to try and agree with anti-2A legislation in this state. The now referred to "revolving door"...serious crime committed/arrest/release with little or no bail/offender commits another crime...has been devastating to public safety/Totally frustrating to law enforcement/an insult to those adhering to the ever growing gun legislation...in NY. A friend who teaches a gun safety program(without pushing the idea of firearm ownership)has noticed a trend in the last 2-3 years. Folks who were not previously "gun people", have approached him for information, and with questions about firearms ownership. They have legitimate concerns about their day to day safety. He tells me their real surprise in legally obtaining a firearm....is how regimented/documented the process is in purchasing a firearm. Their view of purchasing a firearm was skewed by the media(what a shock-not). As mentioned in some previous thread on this topic. local law enforcement in rural upstate areas (generally) take a more "real world view" on gun law enforcement.
Well stated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
The government has an obligation to protect us. They are not doing it by allowing criminals to have guns, but wanting to take them away from law abiding citizens.
Not only are they not protecting us, (by Governmental process decree, I feel, rather than by LEO philosophy) they're encouraging the criminals to take over. Ponder this.....how many times, lately, have you saw a report of circumstances where the proverbial "law abiding citizen" is attacked, defend themselves, then wind up facing criminal charges???? What kind of "bass-ackward" world are we living in??

The LEOs are being targeted, left and right, and the politicians simply shrug their shoulders, claiming the thugs have "rights". Therefore, I'm pretty sure that deep down, the LEOs certainly not in favor of this new philosophy.......

And to reply to the question that the OP posed, I'd say, "no". I went out for a ride, this AM, just to get a little fresh air. In the 20 minutes that I spent, cruising my area, I saw several "Support the 2A" signs, in people's lawns.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:52 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,636,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
That not correct. In fact, the opposite.

see: deshaney vs. winnebago; castle rock v. gonzales

Old 09-29-2022, 10:27 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,834,047 times
If NYer's care at all about their freedom, they better show up to the polls in Nov and vote her out.

NYC is a done deal. Upstaters, you guys better step up. Remember what she did to you during Covid.

If its snowing on election day, you better sled there.

Old 09-29-2022, 10:36 AM

20,208 posts, read 20,983,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
If NYer's care at all about their freedom, they better show up to the polls in Nov and vote her out.

NYC is a done deal. Upstaters, you guys better step up. Remember what she did to you during Covid.

If its snowing on election day, you better sled there.
There’s no chance for Lee unfortunately. That’s just the sad truth.
I suggest everyone buy as many guns and as much ammo as you can, while you can.
It’s only gonna become more restrictive as the years go on, especially because NY will always be under one party control. They will push gun laws to absolute threshold of 2A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York