Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 01:03 PM

93,241 posts, read 123,876,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Nope, sorry, that's not it.
So, what do you think it is? Keep in mind that while the Micron development is based in Syracuse, not all 50,000 jobs will be in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 07:46 AM

5,688 posts, read 4,088,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is actually 50,000 and I think many people, while optimistic, are still waiting and seeing what happens with development of the site.
So what are these 50,000 positions going to be?

Old 07-10-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
So what are these 50,000 positions going to be?
They can be logistic based, spinoff, construction and other related positions. Do you really think that all 50,000 positions are going to be in the Syracuse area? In fact, the governor herself mentioned that they aren't going to have all 50,000 positions in the Syracuse area.

Old 07-10-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
They can be logistic based, spinoff, construction and other related positions. Do you really think that all 50,000 positions are going to be in the Syracuse area? In fact, the governor herself mentioned that they aren't going to have all 50,000 positions in the Syracuse area.
Logistics---for a product the size of your fingernail?

Spinoff--yes, that's what I'm asking (non answer)

Construction--yes, maybe here and there by a local contractor, but no jobs created

Other related positions-- Another non-answer

I can't think of 1000 new support jobs for this place, all across the state. What do they need? Water and silicon, I believe. Water is covered and will create no new jobs. Silicon, or it's raw materials likely will come from out of state.

I can see a couple more restaurants, more service jobs for the employee and families, maybe some home builders, for a while, but you need to see beyond the rose colored glasses that the politicians are promising.

Old 07-10-2023, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Logistics---for a product the size of your fingernail?

Spinoff--yes, that's what I'm asking (non answer)

Construction--yes, maybe here and there by a local contractor, but no jobs created

Other related positions-- Another non-answer

I can't think of 1000 new support jobs for this place, all across the state. What do they need? Water and silicon, I believe. Water is covered and will create no new jobs. Silicon, or it's raw materials likely will come from out of state.

I can see a couple more restaurants, more service jobs for the employee and families, maybe some home builders, for a while, but you need to see beyond the rose colored glasses that the politicians are promising.
What are you talking about? So, those are the 50,000 jobs you think they are talking about for the amount of money used? To be fair, any announcement anywhere will show that many announcements come short, but this isn't exclusive to NY. If the number of jobs come even close to what is being projected, it would still be a big get for the area/state.

Again, there have been grants to train construction workers for the project: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...t-grant-awards (CNY Works is based in Syracuse)

You also haven't said answered the difference between your comparison with the stadium and the Micron project, which are two different things.

What is also odd is that you were the one talking about spinoff jobs related to the Rochester area in other threads and now this is about the politicians and their nefarious reasons for the announcement. Which one is it?

Old 07-10-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:

You also haven't said answered the difference between your comparison with the stadium and the Micron project, which are two different things.

?
As you only answer what you want from my questions, I will answer. First, you have Micron, with a huge investment, and they are talking of spreading the good fortune around. On the other hand, there is the mostly state financed stadium with half of the patrons don't even live in Erie county, but, I'm reading, and in the comments that the residents want the jobs to be all local.

Just pointing out the different mentality between the communities.

Old 07-10-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
What is also odd is that you were the one talking about spinoff jobs related to the Rochester area in other threads and now this is about the politicians and their nefarious reasons for the announcement. Which one is it?
I have posted articles about photonics, yes, but I've never gotten all giddy about becoming a super region, etc, etc, etc.

I've watched for years, as Rochester and Buffalo get taunted and tricked of large promises. As for Rochester, I've always said what it COULD be, but our own government is just too lame to pull it off. I've also advocated for a Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse connection.

BTW, I've also noticed that you are now talking about removing thruway tolls. You always have a negative response when I say that

Old 07-10-2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I have posted articles about photonics, yes, but I've never gotten all giddy about becoming a super region, etc, etc, etc.

I've watched for years, as Rochester and Buffalo get taunted and tricked of large promises. As for Rochester, I've always said what it COULD be, but our own government is just too lame to pull it off. I've also advocated for a Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse connection.

BTW, I've also noticed that you are now talking about removing thruway tolls. You always have a negative response when I say that
No one said anything about a "super region". However, you have said that Rochester could get residual opportunities from the Micron announcement. there was also a video I posted where the governor mentioned that the jobs wouldn't only be in the Syracuse area.

Again, the reality of removing Thruway tolls would mean that there would have to be another way to fund the Thruway either through higher gas taxes or some other way of funding. That isn't negative. That is just being realistic.

Old 07-10-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
No one said anything about a "super region". However, you have said that Rochester could get residual opportunities from the Micron announcement. there was also a video I posted where the governor mentioned that the jobs wouldn't only be in the Syracuse area.

Again, the reality of removing Thruway tolls would mean that there would have to be another way to fund the Thruway either through higher gas taxes or some other way of funding. That isn't negative. That is just being realistic.
Bellafinzi said it, and you played along. Just look at the title of this thread. C'mon man.

Yes, RIT and sometimes UR are mentioned in all of these announcements. Somewhere, they must have a pilot plant. Things like that are already happening in Henreitta, Honeoye Falls and Eastman business Park, much of it to support the hydrogen plant in STAMP.

It's all these projects (and your 50,000+ jobs) generating economic activity (taxes) that will help pay for the thruway.

Old 07-10-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Bellafinzi said it, and you played along. Just look at the title of this thread. C'mon man.

Yes, RIT and sometimes UR are mentioned in all of these announcements. Somewhere, they must have a pilot plant. Things like that are already happening in Henreitta, Honeoye Falls and Eastman business Park, much of it to support the hydrogen plant in STAMP.

It's all these projects (and your 50,000+ jobs) generating economic activity (taxes) that will help pay for the thruway.
You do realize that both Syracuse and Utica-Rome are in the same region, right? Both are considered to be Central NY in many cases and in some states, they would be a metro area or at least a Combined Statistical Area(of about 1 million people if that were so) as they tough at the Madison/Oneida county line. All 3 of those cities aren't even an hour away from each other.

Yes, we've mentioned this before about how the jobs wouldn't be solely in the Syracuse area. It may have been a matter of how many, but we've both said that there would be jobs that would be in other areas because of the announcement

How do those jobs help pay for the Thruway outside of the tolls that pay for it now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York