Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 09:44 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times

Advertisements

With Micron arriving in the Syracuse area, there will be a need for more shovel ready business parks in the area.One area that has much potential is northern Madison County between Syracuse and Utica.

The state should remove the tolls from the Thruway between Syracuse and Utica then add an exit on the Thruway for Chittenango.

Then buy up the property near the exit on Lakeport road for a large business park that is shovel ready.

If the project is successful a light rail line between Syracuse and Utica with a stop at the business park in between could be added.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 09:52 PM

The business park in northern Madison County could be built like the Research Triangle in North Carolina. It could attract Tech companies and other businesses to support the growth of Micron in Clay, NY and Wolfspeed in Marcy, NY.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:00 PM

The population of both Metropolitan Areas combined is close to a million people. Adding just 50,000 people to the area would place it over a million.That would really put the area on the map for future economic activity and attracting more opportunities in my opinion.

Old 10-10-2022, 04:49 AM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I think the drone corridor could also play a part in connecting the two metro areas. There is a little bigger distance between Syracuse and Utica than there is between Raleigh and Durham, but I could see similar development or the potential for that to occur. Rome’s Griffiss Business Park already serves as a center of drone technology research.

Also, keep in mind that Auburn is in the Syracuse CSA and when including Cayuga County, there would be over 1 million between the two areas.

Here is a related segment about how Utica and Albany could benefit from the Micron development. How Micron Technology opportunities could extend east to Utica and Albany: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...ron-technology

Old 10-10-2022, 05:00 AM

You also have to consider the talent coming out of Cornell in Ithaca about an hour away as well. I’ve always wondered about a research park in between those two cities somewhere Cortland County, which also has Cortland State. That could serve as a connection between the colleges/universities in those areas.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:07 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
No thanks. That happens and it will attract all kinds of degenerates.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
No thanks. That happens and it will attract all kinds of degenerates.
Like who? Engineers and other people with Tech related skills? The horror!

Old 10-10-2022, 07:50 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
With Micron arriving in the Syracuse area, there will be a need for more shovel ready business parks in the area.One area that has much potential is northern Madison County between Syracuse and Utica.

The state should remove the tolls from the Thruway between Syracuse and Utica then add an exit on the Thruway for Chittenango.

Then buy up the property near the exit on Lakeport road for a large business park that is shovel ready.

If the project is successful a light rail line between Syracuse and Utica with a stop at the business park in between could be added.
I agree with removing the tolls. From Buffalo to Utica, or more. The entire corridor could be developed. The Micron blurbs already mention proximity to Rochester as a plus, so I imagine much development will spill over to the west as well.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:58 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Meh. I don't like urban sprawl. If you could have a reinvigorated Syracuse; a reinvigorated Utica; and then one new dense community in between with a train station and transit-oriented development serving it then I would be all for it. With how beautiful much of Upstate NY is, though, I would hate for it to become an ugly urban sprawling mess like much of the Raleigh/Durham area or Northern Virginia. It would be nice to see maybe Oneida and Canastota be able to revitalize and then expand their street grids with townhouses/condominiums that will increase density/vibrancy. If there had to be urban sprawl in that corridor I would rather it be ugly new tract homes linking those two communities together.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:59 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Like who? Engineers and other people with Tech related skills? The horror!
Exactly!!!! These types of people are nothing but trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York