Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best Sandy Beach on Lake Ontario in the US?
Hamlin 1 25.00%
Westcott 0 0%
Southwick 1 25.00%
Sodus Point 0 0%
Fair Haven 2 50.00%
Sandy Island 0 0%
Ontario 0 0%
Durand Eastman 0 0%
Windor 0 0%
Lake Ontario Sand 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 11:31 PM

3,537 posts, read 9,445,626 times

Advertisements

What do you think is the best Sandy Beach on Lake Ontario on the United States side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 08:57 AM

5,762 posts, read 4,135,478 times
What about the beach at Charlotte (Rochester)?

Old 07-14-2023, 08:59 AM

93,814 posts, read 124,552,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
What about the beach at Charlotte (Rochester)?
I'm assuming that bella is using its official name, which is Ontario Beach Park.

Old 07-14-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm assuming that bella is using its official name, which is Ontario Beach Park.
Well, there are too many things with the name Ontario in it, around Rochester, to know for sure. I would have voted for that, a very well maintained beach. Hamlin Beach is probably the largest on LO, so I chose that one instead, assuming these are public beaches

Old 07-14-2023, 09:47 AM

509 posts, read 350,194 times
I've never been to any of these beaches so can't vote but very interested in answers because we are in NY all summer!

Old 07-14-2023, 10:00 AM

I picked Fair Haven, as it is a nice, good sized beach. Plus, it is within a reasonable drive from Syracuse, Rochester and Oswego. It is also close to this festival that is ongoing during the summer: https://www.sterlingfestival.com/?ut...SAAEgJezfD_BwE
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fair...!3e0?entry=ttu

Here are a couple of street views of the beach: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3441...4352?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3436...2304?entry=ttu

Old 07-14-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, that's true. I was there once a long time ago. I don't remember much except it was crowded.

The Free Public Beaches are

1) Ontario Beach at Charlotte in suburbs of Rochester
2) Sodus Point in Wayne County
3) Durand Eastman/Lake Ontario Sand/Windor... which are all next to each, almost just one long beach in suburban Rochester

The State Park Beaches that cost money are

1) Westcott Beach up by Watertown
2) Hamlin Beach just West of Rochester suburbs
3) Southwick Beach in Oswego County
4) Sandy Island Beach in Oswego County
5) Fair Haven Beach in Cayuga County

I haven't been to enough to make a clear choice of my favorite but from my research the best are probably one of these four

Ontario Beach at Charlotte
Sodus Point Beach
Hamlin Beach
Southwick Beach

When I was at Southwick Beach it felt like an ocean beach, so if I had to choose I'd probably pick Southwick.

I'd like to know more about Sodus Point since it is free and closer to the Syracuse suburbs. Sort of wish there was a larger faster highway through Wayne County connecting Baldwinsville with Webster so Sodus Point Beach was easier and faster to get to from Syracuse.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Yes, that's true. I was there once a long time ago. I don't remember much except it was crowded.

3) Durand Eastman/Lake Ontario Sand/Windor... which are all next to each, almost just one long beach in suburban Rochester

I haven't been to enough to make a clear choice of my favorite but from my research the best are probably one of these four

Sodus Point Beach
Hamlin Beach
Southwick Beach

When I was at Southwick Beach it felt like an ocean beach, so if I had to choose I'd probably pick Southwick.

I'd like to know more about Sodus Point since it is free and closer to the Syracuse suburbs. Sort of wish there was a larger faster highway through Wayne County connecting Baldwinsville with Webster so Sodus Point Beach was easier and faster to get to from Syracuse.
Not necessarily, as Southwick is not too far off of I-81, while Sodus Point means that you either take the Thruway west to the Waterloo/Clyde exit to Routes 414 & 14 north or either take Route 370 or I-481 to Route 104 to Route 14.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sout...!3e0?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sodu...!3e0?entry=ttu

So, some of this may depend on which suburb in the area you are coming from.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post

Sodus Point Beach
Hamlin Beach
Southwick Beach

Let me make a couple clarifications:

Charlotte is the northernmost neighborhood in Rochester. It is not a suburb, but many years ago was part of Greece.

The last time you were in Rochester, the beach at Durand Eastman most likely was closed for pollution purposes, so Charlotte might have been very busy.

Lake Ontario can be glass calm or full blown Nor'easter at times, feeling like an ocean, but it's a beautiful lake, year round.

Old 07-14-2023, 01:03 PM

Thanks, forgot Rochester's city limits go to Lake Ontario.

What I meant to say was Sodus Point Beach is the closest free sandy beach on Lake Ontario to Syracuse.

Also, just to clarify a mistake, Southwick Beach is actually in Jefferson County not Oswego County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York