Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 08:43 AM

961 posts, read 2,504,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Every last “local” in my soon to be former neck of the woods, has left the state. The majority heading south, mostly NC/SC & FL. They’re leaving in droves. My market is on fire. Being overtaken by city morons/downstaters.
In a message or two last year?...I thought you mentioned the area you moved to, was "not on the radar of most metro folks looking for a weekend/fulltime home"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2023, 08:50 AM

961 posts, read 2,504,692 times
....For the first time..I have started giving consideration to selling most of my acreage, farm buildings, home...and moving to a rural area in north/central Pa.

Old 10-22-2023, 10:15 AM

93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
....For the first time..I have started giving consideration to selling most of my acreage, farm buildings, home...and moving to a rural area in north/central Pa.
Are you still seeing people moving into your area from the NYC area?

Old 10-22-2023, 02:56 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I consider mine a temporary stay.

Also, don’t ignore the end of the article: “But even with tens of thousands of people hopping across New York’s many borders, the state saw more people move in than move out last year.” They’re using some funny math, though.
Most of these posts about people leaving CA or IL or NY overlook those moving in.

Old 10-22-2023, 03:42 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
In a message or two last year?...I thought you mentioned the area you moved to, was "not on the radar of most metro folks looking for a weekend/fulltime home"?
My luck ran out. These people are like a cancer. They’re rolling in like oranges.
Hence, bailing out. This time taking it a step further and getting out of NY altogether.

Old 10-22-2023, 03:43 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
We left Westchester County for Virginia. Southeast Virginia is in a housing boom from the influx of NY/NJ upper middle class retirees.

After all, why pay $20,000 on yearly property taxes when you could pay $3,000 in Virginia? We aren't hicks, we have operas, classic music concerts, plays, museums, etc - all at the fraction of NYC prices.
Yeah but you don’t have the beaches, bagels and pizza! Lol!!!

And PS: you shouldn’t brag about how great it is where you are because, “they” will find out, and “they” will come.

Old 10-23-2023, 04:38 AM

93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Most of these posts about people leaving CA or IL or NY overlook those moving in.
As well as births.

Old 10-23-2023, 09:18 AM

3,216 posts, read 1,677,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
It's just odd to me with all of these people supposedly fleeing NY you'd think there would be more of a buyers market for residential real estate. But it's been extremely tough and competitive for buyers (delayed negotiations, bidding wars, homes selling $100,000 over asking, etc.) If there's truly a mass exodus it's sure not reflected in the real estate market.
That's because most of the properties here are snatched up and quickly converted to rentals. That's the same theme throughout the country that homes are bidded up by investment groups and turned into rentals. People like me would rather own than live in these areas. I can't convince any young person why it makes zero financial sense not to live in NYC. I'm not the one that would pay $20 for a burrito bowl.

Last edited by MKTwet; 10-23-2023 at 09:28 AM..

Old 10-23-2023, 10:44 AM

507 posts, read 344,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
That's because most of the properties here are snatched up and quickly converted to rentals.
This would indicate huge demand for rentals. There seems to be high demand for housing in NY state.

I'm communicating with two realtors in two different parts of NY (basically interviewing buyers agents for our move there.) I will ask both of them if the majority of homes are being sold to investors or to owner-occupants. Although even if investors are winning bidding wars, the fact that there are bidding wars in the first place indicates there are multiple offers, and plenty of those are hopeful owner-occupants, again demonstrating high demand for housing in NY which I would not expect to see if the state was emptying out.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:56 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
As much as I loved Long Island, we left when our first child was born so that we could afford to buy a house. We knew it would be difficult to do there with the very high taxes. My mother was paying $4K a year back in the 70's! We moved to Florida and our yearly taxes were $600 a year. That was a while ago and things have gotten very expensive here also especially because of the homeowner's insurance.

Pretty soon New York (Long Island, NYC & its boroughs including Westchester) will only be affordable to the high-income folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York