Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 11,377 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be traveling to Ithaca next week for an interiew and was wondering if there were any suggestions as to where I might start exploring the area for schools, homes, activities etc. I have two young children, and am moving from Southern CA. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 07:39 AM

140 posts, read 731,699 times
Default Ithaca, New York....getting familiar

Rather than wandering around the city, I'd strongly suggest getting in contact with a realtor who can more efficiently guide you to neighborhoods that meet your criteria. They can give you a better orientation to the city, it's neighborhoods, schools, shopping areas, recreation facilities, parks, many unique features and qualities, and of course, Wegmans grocery store!!! I'd recommend your sticking with some of the larger, brand-name realtor companies, although there are a few local realtors that are well-known as reliable.

Ithaca is a great small city with many unique qualities. Be prepared for much colder weather than you've been accustomed to in Southern California, although this year's winter has been unseasonably mild with negligible snow.

Good luck on your job interview.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:11 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,297 times
Good luck on the interview and the tour! See my post about possible wind turbine development though, at least you can be aware of the possible industrial development in the neighborhood and make your decisions, financial and otherwise, wisely.

Safe trip! And it is WARM up here this winter, so don't bring your snow suit

Old 01-09-2007, 08:40 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,316,589 times
I think the advice given already is right on. Check out the City of Ithaca website, and Ithacanet also. Not being sure what type or price range of housing you're looking for, I would say as a general rule stick to one of the hills if you want to live within the city (though the Fall Creek neighborhood is nice on the flats). The school system is above the state average, and most of the schools are good (Belle Sherman and Cayuga Heights probably top the list for elementary, Beverly Martin at the bottom). The city is called 10 square miles surrounded by reality - a hint at the liberal nature of the populace living in the city. But since you will be year round residents, don't get too shaken by the winter, because the summers are beautiful. So are the natural surroundings of the area (stae parks and of course Cayuga Lake). Hope you find what you're looking for, and good luck with the job interview.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 11,377 times
Thanks for the responses. I have been to NY and will be moving there next month. I was not impressed with the housing in Ithaca (seemed rundown and overpriced). Does anyone know anything about Dryden Village? I know there is a difference between the village and township? The local schools all seem to pros and cons, and I am just trying to figure what battles to pick. Any info on Groton, Richford, Caroline or Lansing would be great too.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:08 PM

334 posts, read 915,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
Safe trip! And it is WARM up here this winter, so don't bring your snow suit
That advice might have been a little premature.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:08 PM

425 posts, read 1,093,127 times
Does anyone know if any wind farms are planned for the Richford area? I'm sorry, I'm a NIMBY. I don't want to retire to a nice quiet farm only to have a 400 FT turbine go up 500 ft from my property line. Anything else about Richford/Tioga you think might be helpful - please let me know. I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly. I'm coming on a house hunting visit week after next.

bizzieella - did you take the job?

Old 03-18-2007, 03:00 PM

961 posts, read 2,503,216 times
...EllieC.....I'm in Tioga Cty...........For starters , where will you be relocating from?

Old 03-18-2007, 03:17 PM

425 posts, read 1,093,127 times
Hi Tioga - I'll be moving from Wichita, KS.

I grew up in rural CT, back when there used to be diary farms everywhere, including across the street from our house. Now it's just ugly sprawl. I want to move somewhere that will remind me of the way I grew up, and still be somewhere I can afford to live without being a Rockefeller (although I understand John D. was born in Richford!).

Wichita is cheap, and the people are nice, but they're not "my people". I need to move someplace where people speak my language, you know what I mean?

I telecommute, or I fly to where I need to go for work, so cell phone/broadband card coverage might be an issue, although I've had pretty good luck in places like Sullivan County, and it was fine in Elmira and Corning. How is it there?

Thanks...

Old 03-18-2007, 03:31 PM

961 posts, read 2,503,216 times
Just a thought..just outside the local city areas will give you rural..but still close to "what you need", including an airport(not JFK)..but easy to deal with(not crowded). I can provide more..add some more requirements. ...ps:Although I know some realtors, I'm not one. Though I have provided help to some realtors for urbanites relocating here(now only if they'd ever compensate me..lol!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York