Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 07:53 PM

7 posts, read 33,988 times

Advertisements

Hey guys

I am getting ready to go on vacation and have not been able to figer out a place to go yet. I was thinking of taking the children down to NFalls Canada but after checking hotel prizes I was a bit discouraged. Way to expensive! The kids want to go swimming and I love the mountains, waterfalls, the forest. I find out that there are waterfalls around Finger Lakes area (kids would be able to splah, I think) I want to go for a walk in the woods, visit a mall and go to a latin club. I live in Rochester but I am relativelly new to the area.
For those of you who have been in those places already, I will greatly appreciate your advice. I need info on affordable motels/hotels in those areas and things to do or places to visit. Now where are those waterfalls, east, west, north, south of where? Are there any events going on right now @ the Finger Lakes? Does any one knows about places to stay in that area (where the waterfalls are)
Time is getting near and I need some advace ASAP
Thanks, Elise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 08:31 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Look into camping at StonyBrook... I went there as a kid to swim and hike... not a camper personally but MANY people on here suggested I go camping there... I love it there.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:53 PM

7 posts, read 33,988 times
Where is StonyBrook @? Canada or Finger Lakes?

Old 06-10-2008, 10:29 PM

525 posts, read 1,827,114 times
I think there is camping at Watkins Glen State Park in the Finger Lakes New York State Parks :: Watkins Glen State Park. Never stayed there, but I am pretty sure it overlooks the falls and gorge in Watkins Glen. It is a good launching point for day trips in the Finger Lakes. A good day trip: The Windmill Farm & Craft Market

If you go with N Falls CA, be warned that it is a tourist trap. So if you are into wax museums and such then it will be enjoyable, but not much nature outside looking at the falls.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:05 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliseBlue View Post
stony brook state park-New-York, Finger-Lakes Campground Review

www.thatscamping.com/index.php/camping/single2/stony-brook-state-park/ - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

Dansville Public Library - Stony Brook Park

dansville.lib.ny.us/stonybrk.html - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

Official Site of Livingston County New York Tourism - Stony Brook Park

www.fingerlakeswest.com/stonybrook.html - 26k - Cached - Similar pages

Doggin' The Finger Lakes

web.mac.com/crudbay/iWeb/KatiesBlog/Doggin'%20The%20Finger%20Lakes.html - 68k - Cached - Similar pages

Stony Brook Center for Wine, Food, and Culture

www.sunysb.edu/sb/winecenter/news.shtml - 23k - Cached - Similar pages

Stony Brook Center for Wine, Food, and Culture

www.sunysb.edu/sb/winecenter/symposium2008.shtml - 19k - Cached - Similar pages

www.pbase.com/dhnieman/stony_brook - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

Stony Brook State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stony_Brook_State_Park - 162k - Cached - Similar pages

Western New York Travel Guide: Parks and Nature Centers in the ...

www.westernny.com/cornelmparks.html - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

Wildernet.com - Stony Brook State Park, New York

Old 06-11-2008, 06:58 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliseBlue View Post
Stony brook state park is near Dansville NY exit 4 off interstate 390 about a mile or so west. It is about 50 miles south of Rochester. One of the many great parks in NY, it has a large number of small waterfalls ranging from small to big. One of the ultimate places to camp and cool off! Instead of Niagra falls, why not see the high falls in Rochester? It is a beautiful sight, about 100-120 ft high right in downtown Rochester! Plenty of great viewing areas too. You can see pics of it in the regular city data site.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:20 PM

12 posts, read 67,024 times
I like to go to Letchworth State Park. It's between the Finger Lakes and Niagara Falls.

-Raymond

Old 06-12-2008, 04:57 AM

37 posts, read 129,531 times
The Finger lakes by far. The Stony Brook and Letchworth suggestions are good ones too.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:32 AM

473 posts, read 2,754,115 times
you want nature and waterfalls? come to our neck of the woods..ithaca area. We've got Lucifer Falls (after a 2 mile hike through Treman state park..challenging but STUNNING hike), Buttermilk Falls...plus the lakes are kid friendly, and there is also Connecticut Hill (an 11,000 acre state forest) in Newfield (where I live) that has camping spots as well.

It seems most of your questions should be in the general NY forum, instead of just here in the rochester forum, you're not really asking for rochester specific things, more new york (as a whole) things.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:17 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
from rochester I would do niagara as a day trip - see the falls, ride the boat, do a couple touristy things and then make it back home - it is stunning but from what you are describing the finger lakes would be better

lots of really good hikes - letchworth & stony brook are nice parks and watkins glen is great for kids

many neat back country roads that will pass by additional lakes (for example, if driving between Hammondsport & Watkins Glen you can go past Waneta & Lamoka Lakes

a lot of the finger lakes have little beaches on them as well that the kids can get out in ......... some of the state parks have mini falls and natural pools that can be splashed in as well

if you want to take some time, unwind and get into nature the finger lakes are great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York