Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 11:23 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times

Advertisements

What is the racial makeup of this specific area? Mostly am talking about the Monroe, Wallkill, Florida, Goshen area.

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 07:41 AM

33 posts, read 189,593 times
I can tell you that Monroe is a mixed bag. You have a bit of everything but mostly white. There is a lot of Hasidics because of Kirious Joel.(sp?) I live in Goshen(the village) and it is predominately white. In my daughters school there are a few hispanics(she's one of them!) and maybe 3 AA kids! We lived in Florida(right in the village on Rt. 94/17A) for about 2 years and I can tell you it is all white. It might be a little different now with a couple new developments that were built the past few years. Right on this site you can put in the town and city name and see the statistics. Here is a link for the Monroe statistics:
Monroe, New York (NY) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:41 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Is the Hasidic jews like it is in Certain towns in Rockland county? I have been to towns where they are all walking on the street all of the time and hitching rides from people because they arent allowed to drive.

Is it like that? Or is it just what they do in their house (which is fine)?

Old 06-11-2008, 11:07 AM

51 posts, read 224,235 times
No..it is like that. They think they have taken over the whole town, they to drive, just watch out for them, I have never seen one in a car without a dent or two, or three. LOL I guess after a while you get used to it but personally, I would not live in Monroe.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:25 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Is the Hasidic jews like it is in Certain towns in Rockland county? I have been to towns where they are all walking on the street all of the time and hitching rides from people because they arent allowed to drive.

Is it like that? Or is it just what they do in their house (which is fine)?
They are allowed to drive, but don't feel the need to worry too much about the other people on the road! Barber Kid is pretty accurate, there aren't whole bunch of Hasidic cars that aren't banged up. Stay upwind of them in the hot summer days too!

If you'd like an "out of the country" experience, just drive though Kiryas Joel, pretty interesting to say the least. They've got the town of Monroe by the b***s, along with the state legislature. What they want, they get... and you the tax payer will foot the bill.

I grew up in Middletown (Scotchtown and Waywayanda). I considered moving back after retiring from the military...beautiful area, but high taxes caused by a corrupt local and state government made me look elsewhere.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:18 PM

33 posts, read 189,593 times
Yes they have taken over Monroe. I wouldn't live there because of that and because of the over crowding, and congestion from Woodbury Commons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York