Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:12 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times

Advertisements

Wow! Strong reading. I am always amazed at the ferocity that those in the teaching profession defend their salaries, especially where there is a union. I am not questioning the job they do or the hours they committ that is without question.

What I do wonder is why become a teacher? If the education investment is so high vice the income/benefits then why select that career field? Do any consider going elsewhere to teach? I know in central Virginia 34K is the average starting salary Henrico County Public Schools :: Job Opportunities :: Salary Scale (http://henrico.k12.va.us/jobopps/salaryscale.html - broken link)
Not bad potential, no union and no requirement for a Masters in 3 years as one writer stated.

I am not questioning a teachers dedication to their craft but they need to realize that it can become a bottomless pit of spending in most communities and people are tired of it. My moms school tax alone could choke a horse and for what a school so old that the students had to hold a walk out strike in 10/07 just to get peoples attention.

Good luck in the battle but from the looks of things NY may follow California towards insolvency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 12:22 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
that's exactly what NY needs - even more people leaving because the state doesn't know how to foster employment

then again maybe that's part of the problem - the schools produce talent that is too good for local employment in most of the state so it's basically investement in a fleeing commodity

Old 06-09-2009, 02:23 AM

82 posts, read 180,024 times
Default Won't buy ur dime for a quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
that's exactly what NY needs - even more people leaving because the state doesn't know how to foster employment

then again maybe that's part of the problem - the schools produce talent that is too good for local employment in most of the state so it's basically investement in a fleeing commodity
It's not too good or too talented,..they haven't been able to afford LI to cost of living for years.

I know your proud of the Schools,..so I'm I.

However, their are plenty of better Schools in other States and tons of ones just as good as ours. Just because our Polls decided to give Ny Teachers, Police Unions and County workers unreal pension plans and free health care,..doesn't make us much smarter or safer. I rather have money in my pocket and a gun.

It's nuts.

I want my money back you thieves!

I gave up my health plan to pay taxes,..unbelievable.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:44 AM

you do realize there is a lot more to the state than LI??

also the tax burden goes well beyond that - look sometime at the state mandated crap they push on cities and counties to figure out and pay for ...... it's insane

Old 06-09-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
you do realize there is a lot more to the state than LI??

also the tax burden goes well beyond that - look sometime at the state mandated crap they push on cities and counties to figure out and pay for ...... it's insane
You think anything is going to come out of the Senate meetings? It's really going to make my decision if I'm going to stay here and fight it out or move to North Carolina. I dreamed last night that Long Island and Westchester would get a 30% Property tax cut and everybody came back from Florida and Carolina,..and we greeting all the transplants at the border,...like when the wall came down in Berlin.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:15 AM

no - they are promising big changes for upstate - but those promises are 20 years long now

i'm one of those who left

i still have a lot of friends and family in the state and it's so sad that in a state that has so much diversity and so much to offer that it's very tough to live there

Old 06-09-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
no - they are promising big changes for upstate - but those promises are 20 years long now

i'm one of those who left

i still have a lot of friends and family in the state and it's so sad that in a state that has so much diversity and so much to offer that it's very tough to live there
That sucks, ...Well,..if Bozo the clown tries to run for a seat next election,.I'm voting for him.

You in Virginia now? How is it?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:02 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepokerdepot View Post
That sucks, ...Well,..if Bozo the clown tries to run for a seat next election,.I'm voting for him.

Do you mean our goverment or taxes/cost of living in general?

Old 06-10-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Do you mean our goverment or taxes/cost of living in general?

Yeah,..are your property taxes going up?
How does it compare with NY?
Are people there up in arms like in NYS?

Old 06-10-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepokerdepot View Post

i'm in AZ and I like it - there are some things here that are concerning and the politics aren't a ton better - but the business environment is fairly friendly as well as the cost of living

i try to get home every 18 months or so - was up there this past fall and it was great visiting, hitting the harvests, the little community fairs and markets, the wineries, the state parks with the fall foliage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York