Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:39 AM

155 posts, read 850,106 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the seemingly trivial nature of this post, but since returning upstate recently I was surprised to witness a fair number of mullet hairstyles still on display. Granted they're often relegated to the outposts of the Capital Region, but every time I see one, I get pangs of longing for Westchester county and NYC where fashion is not stuck in a time warp.

Granted, the full on mullet of the 80s is rare here, but the modified bilevel mullet (sideburns buzzed completely off) is very common. Also, women's mullets are common as well. Needless to say, these mullets have clothes, houses and tastes that match their hideous hair. Has time really passed many of us by here upstate or are we simply not as vain as downstate folks? hmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 09:47 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,275,581 times
Mullets - Now here's something to look up. I thought you were referring the type of fish!

Old 04-19-2007, 11:20 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,723,396 times
I havent really seen any around here. When I was in the southerntier I saw a handfull. I don't think they are any worse than the spiked guido hair that long island teens wear.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:25 AM

172 posts, read 847,334 times
I saw one recently- on a woman in her 50s. *shudders*

Old 04-19-2007, 11:49 AM

103 posts, read 654,298 times
Some people like them. *shudder* I was at the hairdresser last week when the shop owner told me this story about a customer she has that INSITISTED she cut her butt-length grey hair into a mullet. According to the shop owner, the woman reported back that so many people "commented on her hair!" The shop owner then told her, "Please do not tell anyone I did this."

The woman has not come back. :-P

Old 04-19-2007, 12:43 PM

155 posts, read 850,106 times
ack, the sorrows and joys of living upstate- I chalk it up to comic relief- unfortunately my wife has not yet come around to that viewpoint...

Old 04-19-2007, 01:02 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,212,650 times
Unfortunately ....lack of progress was one of the reasons I left NY to begin with and I can talk because I was born and raised here lived in the Utica Rome area for over 29 yrs But I have to say there are some back woods no fashion having central NYers that would make a redneck look smart and I can talk about that too I moved to GA seen it all but at least here they dont look like "Joe Dirt"

Old 04-19-2007, 02:13 PM

368 posts, read 831,684 times
This post is making me laugh, oh yes there is Redneck Yankees. I foolishly had the opinion that NY was all city and fast paced. I have since been corrected and I live right in the heart of rural redneck yankee territory and as rug city states it is comic relief. God bless them they drive with the stars and bars in the windows and I've seen several "git r done" stickers on vehicles.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:10 PM

14 posts, read 52,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rug city View Post
Sorry for the seemingly trivial nature of this post, but since returning upstate recently I was surprised to witness a fair number of mullet hairstyles still on display. Granted they're often relegated to the outposts of the Capital Region, but every time I see one, I get pangs of longing for Westchester county and NYC where fashion is not stuck in a time warp.
Au contraire on the time warp!! These folks - I grew up in the cap region hinterlands - are LEADING the way. Look for the mullet to be prominent in Rome, Paris and Milan soon. (BTW - I am referring to the small towns in Maine)

Old 04-19-2007, 03:13 PM

282 posts, read 1,264,769 times
The truth about Upstate as opposed to downstate, is up here we aren't slaves to fashion. We don't need Gucci's new whatever or some high end coat to put us in the "in crowd". Our status isn't based on what we wear or how much we paid for anything. No one cares.

To you or anyone else downstate it might be considered a "time warp". To us it's wearing what we like and looking how we like that matters. We're comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York