U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 07:55 AM

2,972 posts, read 7,778,731 times

Advertisements

This is pretty sad, but reality of how Upstate NY'ers are hardly given second thought.

A bill was approved in the NY Assembly to eliminate a toll booth while the fight to close the Grand Island tolls remains ignored.

From the article:

Quote:
The New York State Assembly moved on Monday last week to eliminate a toll booth from Interstate 95. Members voted 87 to 47 to abolish the collection of tolls at the New Rochelle toll plaza on the New York State Thruway. Motorists on this stretch of I-95 currently most stop and pay $1.50 or use E-ZPass, and the toll is scheduled to rise to $1.75 next year. State Assemblyman George S. Latimer (D-Westchester) introduced the idea of stopping the tolls because they imposed unfair burdens on his constituents.
A similar bill was brought forward to eliminate the GI tolls in the Buffalo/Niagara Counties region, the same bill that has been presented and ignored. The same "unfair burdens" are on WNY'ers, yet we're left with very little representation of our (very same) Assemblypersons when it comes to closing down the Grand Island tolls. The current toll at Grand Island is $1.00, up a quarter from last year.

On a personal note, I went to Akron yesterday. It's was $1.60 round-trip via the New York State Thruway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 08:17 AM

7,838 posts, read 11,264,539 times
Wow. Good news for the commuters from CT/Westchester to the city, but bad news for upstaters in NY.
Hasn't that been the case for a long time--the disparity between upstate NY and the NYC area? NYC gets the most attention and funds consistently, yeah?

Old 06-13-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Wow. Good news for the commuters from CT/Westchester to the city, but bad news for upstaters in NY.
Hasn't that been the case for a long time--the disparity between upstate NY and the NYC area? NYC gets the most attention and funds consistently, yeah?
From where I'm sitting, that always seems to be the "disparity" ....like a slap in the face every time from our state lawmakers.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:45 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,545,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
From where I'm sitting, that always seems to be the "disparity" ....like a slap in the face every time from our state lawmakers.
Well, at least the Upstate NY economic development czar is from Buffalo and lives in Buffalo. Syracuse is at the center of Upstate NY and this stupid State never uses Syracuse's great location for ANYTHING at all...never.

Upstate NY is always shortchanged, especially Syracuse. I'm sick of it as well.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:42 PM

663 posts, read 2,147,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Syracuse is at the center of Upstate NY and this stupid State never uses Syracuse's great location for ANYTHING at all...never.
Hey now .. don't forget about the NYS fair!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 02:59 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,545,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
Hey now .. don't forget about the NYS fair!!!
That's a Syracuse tradition. If they took that away from us, we'd protest in the streets.

Though I'm sure if the NYS Fair started up today without the history of it in Syracuse.... New York State would not locate it in Syracuse. They'd probably end up moving it around the State to different cities every year, just like the NYS Olympics.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:22 PM

"Upstate NY economic development czar" ????

Old 06-13-2008, 07:34 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,101,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
This is pretty sad, but reality of how Upstate NY'ers are hardly given second thought.

A bill was approved in the NY Assembly to eliminate a toll booth while the fight to close the Grand Island tolls remains ignored.

From the article:

A similar bill was brought forward to eliminate the GI tolls in the Buffalo/Niagara Counties region, the same bill that has been presented and ignored. The same "unfair burdens" are on WNY'ers, yet we're left with very little representation of our (very same) Assemblypersons when it comes to closing down the Grand Island tolls. The current toll at Grand Island is $1.00, up a quarter from last year.

On a personal note, I went to Akron yesterday. It's was $1.60 round-trip via the New York State Thruway.
Akron is easy to get to if you go out Main thru Clarence and up Rt. 93. No cost.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:03 PM

801 posts, read 2,180,638 times
Upstate....provides downstates water, routes for power lines and gas lines to downstate, heck...even "accomodations" for many of the downstaters who run afoul of the law, recreational opportunities, etc, etc...

Old 06-13-2008, 10:15 PM

663 posts, read 2,147,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
That's a Syracuse tradition. If they took that away from us, we'd protest in the streets.

Though I'm sure if the NYS Fair started up today without the history of it in Syracuse.... New York State would not locate it in Syracuse. They'd probably end up moving it around the State to different cities every year, just like the NYS Olympics.
I have lived in NYS my entire life (except for the last 4 months) and I have never been to the NYS Fair! I am ashamed. But then again, I am not really a Fair person.....

And let me add that the past 4 months being away from NYS have been the WORST 4 months of my life!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York