U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2007, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,813 times

Advertisements

Wow, there is some serious Ellenville bashing going on. To get back to the questions posed by Deeds here are a few of my opinions of Ellenville. First off, the community comprises of about 4000+ people. Very diverse in all areas. And while the taxes may appear high if you research into taxes in adjacent areas they are much higher than in Ellenville.

I don't understand where some of these people who have posted here are getting their information from. Extermely inaccurate to say the least. If you look at Ellenville's report card it is stellar in comparison with some of the surrounding communities. (ie: Newburgh, Monticello, Fallsburg)

Recently there has been an arts initiative that has been created by the local government to attract artisans to the area to enrich the areas beauty as it is nestled between ridges and valleys that provide a spectacular view.

As far as crime goes there is only minor stuff to report. Not like some of the larger surrounding areas. "Kid stuff" to sum it up in a nut shell.

I would recommend that you at least come to Ellenville and meet the people. Stop into Village Hall and get a realistic grasp on the area. So many of the posts in this thread are distorted that I just had to comment.
Good Luck..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 9,310 times
I just moved from the city to Ellenville. Bought a home and my son is attending High School there and I am very happy with the teachers, they are all very communicative with my son's academics, we keep in touch. Unfortunately there was a bad incident with a teacher but that's something that you'll find anywhere, it's not an isolated case and as well as the State screen's teachers ... there are always some bad apples but that's in all industries not just teaching. As far as the neighbors, it's wonderful. Each and everyone has been to the house to introduce themselves and welcome us to the neighborhood. Every establishment I've been to I've been treated in a very friendly way. Is this town economically depressed? Yes, most of Ulster County is. Ellenville has a lot of potential, the police have done a great job cleaning up the streets and fighting crime and drugs. I personally recommend Ellenville and think that if more people looked at the potential and considered moving here it would prosper. There's a new diner that's been open for the past six months, someone that moved into Ellenville and opened a business and guess what? It's prospering. My son loves it and he is very happy with the school and teachers, he's made good friends, very nice kids and families. So I really don't understand why there's so much negativity.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 20,655 times
School is not so good. Decent staff, but student population is mainly from poor families with little resources. Try Kingston or Onteora school (Woodstock, West Hurley, Olive) first.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:18 PM

4 posts, read 9,359 times
The area is horrible and very depressing. Just drive through and make your own decision.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:10 PM

573 posts, read 1,094,948 times
I used to drive through Ellenville pretty frequently while going from Binghamton to New Paltz and back; I even stopped at the pizza hut once. I don't really have anything to add, it seemed like a decent place, if not a little run down. It seemed like the kind of place you would pass through during a trip, and then never hear of again. I also remember there being a prison just outside of town.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:26 PM

11 posts, read 22,114 times
if you have other options, take the other options

Old 02-01-2012, 06:13 AM

199 posts, read 376,451 times
A ton of negative reviews - "it's depressing, there's nothing there". Yeah, there aren't a ton of things going on in town, it's in the middle of the Catskills, 30 miles from population centers, it just so happens to be the biggest small town around.

I spent time in Ellenville in my work with a local non-profit, a day here and there. Some neighborhoods are well-kept, others seem in various states of disrepair, there aren't many large employers, the education district, hospital and prison are probably the main employers, but there are small manufacturers still in town, and of course the variety of service jobs from businesses clustered on Main, Canal and Center streets. I can't see how the schools are so miserable, everyone has a huge bias on this one though in every community, so it's hard to tell. Anyone planning to move here should have an idea of what they're getting into - it's small and half an hour from New Paltz, which has more to do, or Monticello, which is similarly small but a little change in scenery. And less than an hour from Kingston or Poughkeepsie, where you'll need to head for a mall or bigger events, likely Kingston. But you do have beautiful lakes and reservoirs around, there's no shortage of places to hike or bike or escape to nature, so it's give and take.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:56 PM

38 posts, read 71,364 times
I work in Ellenville, and I can say that the people I have met are down-to-earth and genuine. Most of my co-workers who have children in the school system are happy with it. Like any other small town, there will always be those who look at the glass as half-empty.

I frequent the stores after work and the storeowners and workers are friendly people. Walmart is coming to the town, and I am not looking forward to the traffic it will bring. Unfortunately, the local people want the Walmart as another employment opportunity and also because decent shopping is 30 miles away. It's sad, but hopefully other industry will come in because of Walmart.(?)

I do not live in Ellenville. I just thought I'd tell you about my daily experience working there. Good luck.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:43 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,564,169 times
boonies, boonies boonies. If you really wanting to come up north. the lower hudson valley is lovely, if you like the other side of bridge, new paltz is a lovely college town.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,508 times
I would not be so hard on ellenville. We bought a nice house with pear and crabapple trees. The air is clean. You are whereever you are. If someone can appreciate the wholesome things in life like nature, one might enjoy ellenville. There are disappointing things about every place that you move. I like my property and there are many nice things to do. Just live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York