Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:14 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,601,463 times

Advertisements

Wondering If This Is A New Area To Reloate To? Does It Have A Good School System? Is It A Safe Area To Raise A Family? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 06:10 AM

287 posts, read 1,460,159 times
There is NOTHING in ellenville. Very depressing town.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:04 PM

11 posts, read 58,183 times
Default Ellenville

I live in Kingston, NY about 35 min from Ellenville. I have to say Ellenville is not the best place to live. No economy at all, its very very poor. The whole area near Ellenville is very poor. Not sure if u are intersted in living just in ellenville or any other places near it. New Paltz is a very nice small town fairly close to ellenville.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:14 AM

5 posts, read 63,899 times
Default Why Ellenville?

Ellenville is a bit depressed right now, although they are doing a lot of work to overcome that. Why are you considering Ellenville as opposed to say, Accord, Kerhonkson or other towns in Ulster right down the road?

Old 02-15-2007, 05:31 AM

21 posts, read 157,676 times
I think kerhonkson/accord is just as bad...depressing also Nothing there either

Old 03-09-2007, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 23,669 times
Default reponse to deeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
Wondering If This Is A New Area To Reloate To? Does It Have A Good School System? Is It A Safe Area To Raise A Family? Thanks
A for new area No, not a new area, i mean the "rich" or "nose in the clouds" people are trying to 'spiff it up', if you will, but they're doing i in all the wrong ways, adding art rooms from NYC, and overpriced 'dinners', but they make no buisness nore do they help the rest of the little people to prospure in the on they have to help the community. Ellenville and its "heads" are simply about ho much money they, themselves can get and how many 1 family homes they can destroy by buying a nice antique historical house and turning it in to 5family homes with over priced rent for the area. Also the taxes, if you lan on buying, is out of controll, youll pay as much as 7500 and the place is like 3miles long altheway around!!
school tax is the highest.... and for no reason. I went to school there and today its no different, the teachers are no longer there to teach but because the ellenville school is the highest paying district, therfor teachers, or employees i should say, are there just for the check. And if your kid gets in the slightest "kid trouble" FORGET IT, teachers and princibles be on them like flies on $%!*. and unfortanetly you also have to be on top of the school to get available help and right academic attention from them . the scores arent great, i remember one year they had soo many math failing stuents, (after trieing to do night school to be able to pack students with classes to graduate quicker and district get points) that they lowerd the regents passing grade from 65 to ~50 that year to get them out.
Also sudent high school college information or education is limited and if you hang with the right crowd or now the right people, or maybe your a lawyer or local doctor is usually the only way they'll get the college trips and future edu, besides your kid will be too board there, everything is 25 to 40 min away, even for a pair of undies or socks, only a dollar store, grocers, and of course the "famous" art gallerys (if you want to call them art or just free hand drawings from senior high students from downtown ny :0) )- let me stop LOL . although i read in the record they are getting Wal Mart, yet i also heard the peole are petitioning to stop it. maybe to be able to over rice members of the area that have no choice but to buy there.
The people are all "live for today" attitude and don't show ambishin to succeed or progress to get or want more, and some can't, and the village doesnt help, when asked they'll transfer call, to call to voice mail, to call, and eventually, if your lucky, it'll hang up on its own . Lots of young single moms on assistance and late night wondering boys, the ones ellenville police cops love to harrasse and elderly. Oh! yea the EPD=aka= mmbers of the mickey oue club... Way to full of themselves, currupt, nosey, rude, unhelpfull, and way to bored wih themselves. They'll do nything from envy you for what you have, talk to you like a 12yr old misbehaved kid, to peek in the privacy of your own home to later ask you how you got it ( as if you had to illegally get it), or ride around your house untill they get info, or find a reason to complaint. Especially if your new, and your kid is over 12.
Finally its not unsafe, its harmless, but all kids get into wrong things or wrong crowd everywhere so that would have to be a No.1 thing to look out for. there is some habits lingering in the area, and some baby boys and girls that feel they have to suply these habits even though most come from nice well raised church going homes. But th finncial is not as safe no emplyment available, the biggest income supplier anounced its closure, and will be completely gone by april(an aluminum plant); all the proffessionl jobs left in the area the mayor and his buddies ( the incrowd) have taken (along with all grants recently recieved to rebuild ellenville) and the only way youll get a good paying proffessional or career job here is if you know some1 who knows some1 whom knows maybe Arebuack . Besides that you have travell at least 30 min to work, but the good thing is theres a gym and a bowling alley!! hope thats detailed enough!! u choose but if you plann on retiring tommrow than by all means, if not id suggest: orange county? slate hill, (minisink schools)scotchtown (pinebush schools), minisink,walden & pine bush. sullivan: maybe woodrige woodburne, westboro- monticello schools and real cheap. BYe

Old 03-15-2007, 03:44 AM

124 posts, read 641,489 times
Deeds:

Let overtaxedhaterville's post be a warning to you. His/her post should tell you what kind of education the school's provide in Ellentown.

Based on the illiterate, sophomoric jumble of mystery that is his post, I would come to the conclusion that:

Ellenville's schools have failed miserably.
If you want WalMart, you'll like E'ville.
If you think that it is normal for school kids to get away with trouble-making, as overtaxedhaterville seems to believe, you'll fit right in with E'ville.
E'ville residents are "down on their town."
E'ville residents are cynical.

Overtaxedhaterville's post is SO telling of this community.

Good luck.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:42 PM

7 posts, read 58,097 times
Default Ellen vile

Just check out the school home page and then go to the NY State Board of Education home page to get the report card on the school..The area is extremely tax expensive and therefore it has a high cost of living also.. There is no private sector tax base and the largest last manufacturer just announced it is closing. (Hydro Aluminum) The bigggest employers are the prisons and school and county and town/village. In other words the area is extremely dense in public sector jobs at the expense of low paying few private sector jobs.. There was a lot of real estate activity as high taxes pushed out the marginal existance private sector and wealthy southern NY counties and NYC and northern NJ people bought country homes unaware of the nightmarish constant tax increases.. This trend will only continue as the public sector insists on wages and benefits and salary increase to keep up with the higer cost of living the constant tax increases to provide them with these salaries and benefits are implemented..It is a viscious cycle of taxing and spending..

Old 03-26-2007, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 23,669 times
Talking I love it when a plan comes together.....

Thank you Pigeon, I mean Pidgett, that is "SO" exactly what I was trying to explain to her, E'ville is definitely the illiterate, Wal-mart loving, trouble- making type, and I guess considering we fit in the 'cynical" category too! You should relax with the "E-mail gangster 'jumble' ", it doesn't fit you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgett View Post
Deeds:

Let overtaxedhaterville's post be a warning to you. His/her post should tell you what kind of education the school's provide in Ellentown.

Based on the illiterate, sophomoric jumble of mystery that is his post, I would come to the conclusion that:

Ellenville's schools have failed miserably.
If you want WalMart, you'll like E'ville.
If you think that it is normal for school kids to get away with trouble-making, as overtaxedhaterville seems to believe, you'll fit right in with E'ville.
E'ville residents are "down on their town."
E'ville residents are cynical.

Overtaxedhaterville's post is SO telling of this community.

Good luck.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:01 PM

13 posts, read 64,558 times
Dont move to Ellenville like mostly what everybody said it
a dried up depressing town with a whole lot of nothing to do!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York