Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 02:13 PM

7 posts, read 45,962 times

Advertisements

Washingtonville is also the second lowest school for highly qualified teachers The worst is Highland Falls.

http://recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dl...0318/-1/NEWS14
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 07:09 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,707 times
Thumbs up Chester, Warwick and Goshen

Goshen would be as decent a commute as Washingtonville considering you would be taking the quickway (17). Also Chester has ok schools, and Warwick Schools just had a big writeup in the T-H Record about how good their teachers are. I do not know very much about Tuxedo except that the school is small.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:38 PM
hnh

2 posts, read 11,986 times
Red face moving to mountain lodge

hi...i'm a little nervous to admit this after reading the posts, but we're buying a house in mountain lodge and moving to blooming grove in june 2007. we're in fl now and only had a few hours in the neighborhood before deciding. it seemed working class, but not dangerous. we can't afford anything else in the area, and we don't have any children. any help or advice? thanks in advance.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:51 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,871 times
Wow I am glad that I read this post....I understand the need for being objective, but its good to get another viewpoint.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:14 AM

287 posts, read 1,460,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnh View Post
hi...i'm a little nervous to admit this after reading the posts, but we're buying a house in mountain lodge and moving to blooming grove in june 2007. we're in fl now and only had a few hours in the neighborhood before deciding. it seemed working class, but not dangerous. we can't afford anything else in the area, and we don't have any children. any help or advice? thanks in advance.
I sent you an email on Mountain Lodge Park.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:29 AM

8 posts, read 57,952 times
My husband also works in the Bronx near yankee staduim and he commutes everyday. When we looked up here we also looked in Washingtonville we even took a tour of the school and we thought it was great. But then we heard horror storys about the middle school and high school so we decided to look a little further and ended up in Minisink which is about 15 minutes further but the schools are great and the taxes are lower than areas like goshen and warwick. we are near everything the shopping the Mall the highways 84 and 17 and we border NJ for low gas prices and pennsylania for there shopping. It's a very safe district to raise children.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,334 times
My family has lived in Blooming Grove since 1992. I have 3 children who attended washingtonville schools since kindergarten. I've been very happy with the district in general. All 3 of my children are/were in accelerated placement classes, high honor roll, national honor society members, etc. The teachers have always been very helpful and supportive. I currently have one in MS & one in HS. The 3rd is in college and is a bio/chemistry major. I've had one issue with my older son when he was in ms and it was resolved to my satisfaction immediately. Sure, the district has some problems, what district doesn't. We've been very happy with the school district and community in general and I have never regretted moving here.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,509 times
caroline621, I'm with you. I live in Mountain Lodge Park and I go to Washingtonville high school (please don't hold my age against me,) and the only reason Washingtonville gets such a bad rep is, when you think about it, do newspapers ever post the good things about a school district or area? Rarely. They usually just post the bad stuff, and because that's all people see, that's all they think about.

I moved to Washingtonville in the summer of '06, to Mountain Lodge. Apart from taxes, it really is not that bad. True, if you live farther up the mountain, you should have a car with good snow and ice handling for the winter; and due to the maniacs riding quads you should stay off the roads at night, but that's really the only thing that's wrong with it.

As for Washingtonville schools, in my two years going here there's been two fights that I've heard about, and nobody got seriously hurt. There are a few minor incidents, that's true, but that's the same, again, with every school. I think the most exciting thing that happened last year with me is a tie between when the smoke alarms went off for an eighth grade teacher overcooking a bag of popcorn and when a light in the gym fell off (and nobody was allowed in they gym for about three weeks afterward until they were all checked.)

One more thing I'd like to add: before I went to Washingtonville, I went to a private school in Pennsylvania, which has a really good reputation and is very expensive. But the only time in my life I've ever gotten into a fist fight is there, in fifth grade, when a ninth grader attacked me. Needless to say I like Washingtonville much better.

Sorry for the longness of the post, but I don't like it when people bash Washingtonville schools without having gone there themselves.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:44 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude123 View Post
Washingtonville is also the second lowest school for highly qualified teachers The worst is Highland Falls.

More teachers in the mid-Hudson get top rating, state reports - RecordOnline.com - The Times Herald Record
Look at the criteria that are used to designate a teacher "highly qualified". Doesn't everyone remember at least one teacher who would have met the criteria as being "highly qualified", but didn't belong anywhere near a classroom. Tenure protects teachers, both the good ones and the bad ones.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:49 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,368 times
Default All schools have problems

Times Herald-Record
June 12, 2008
CENTRAL VALLEY — Monroe-Woodbury High School is in lockdown after its second disruption of the school day, this one involving a food fight in the cafeteria.

Moderator cut: Post original content only. Rephrase short articles; post links for long ones

Last edited by bellafinzi; 08-29-2008 at 09:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York