Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2008, 08:30 AM

120 posts, read 245,989 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am moving into a house located in Rockland County in August. I am curious about how much the electric bill will be. Its a large house, about 4000 sq ft., but the only things I would leave on would be a TV, VCR, DVD, kitchen appliances, and may be the hall way light. The house is recent, built in 2000 so all the appliances should be energy start efficient. I will be replacing all bulbs with compact fluorescents. Pool heater would only be on when necessary; if at all. I plan to use a solar cover for heating the pool. I am moving from an apt. to this house. I currently pay around 90.00 per month. Do you think the electricy bill will be more than 250.00 per month at the house? For the winter, I will be installing a pellet stove; so I should not get burned (parden the pun) in energy fees that much in the winter.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:40 PM

110 posts, read 495,254 times
I have a 2400 sq ft house in Rockland county and my winter bills have soared to 6 & 7 and we are all adults and at work during the day. I kept my therm set at 64 during the day and even when we slept During the summer with the central air and I do not have a pool we are coming in around the high 2 low 3 and if it is a hot one and the air is on all the time I am looking at 4 I hope this helped! Congratualtions on your new home!

Old 06-23-2008, 02:54 PM

120 posts, read 245,989 times
Thanks for the info. For the Winter, have you considered adding a pellet stove in lieu of electricity? I've been told it cuts down on electric costs dramically because the heat is now coming from the pellet stove.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:36 AM

110 posts, read 495,254 times
I have thought of it but I have a fireplace and I know which I can't remember right now but there is also something that I can add to the fireplace which will circulate the warm air and also help cut down the heating bill Thanks for the suggestion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: