Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:15 PM

96 posts, read 283,401 times

Advertisements

Hi Casey,
Depending on whether you like urban or country, the surrounding area offers a lot of diversity.
I prefer urban myself and Binghamton is as convienent as it gets.
There are a lot of great neighborhoods in all the districts of the City.
Of course, that being said, there is nothing better than an up close inspection to see which area will suit you needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 877 times
Default You and your husband should REALLY reconsider!!!

Moved w/ partner from Boston 20 years ago for the same reason (Binghamton U.) This area is generally VERY conservative...more like rural Pennsylvania than the New York state you read about. NO cultural offerings, very poor, yet undeservedly expensive restaurants (not much variety of 'ethnic foods'), and the economy is not even in the toilet; it is in the sub-basement. By the way, I've taken graduate level classes at B.U. and they fail to impress. I wish someone had warned me away from this area in time, but I suppose most people can only come to appreciate (or NOT) an area once they take the gigantic step of moving to it.

Hope not to see you here, friend.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:14 PM

92,069 posts, read 122,262,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissmk View Post
Moved w/ partner from Boston 20 years ago for the same reason (Binghamton U.) This area is generally VERY conservative...more like rural Pennsylvania than the New York state you read about. NO cultural offerings, very poor, yet undeservedly expensive restaurants (not much variety of 'ethnic foods'), and the economy is not even in the toilet; it is in the sub-basement. By the way, I've taken graduate level classes at B.U. and they fail to impress. I wish someone had warned me away from this area in time, but I suppose most people can only come to appreciate (or NOT) an area once they take the gigantic step of moving to it.

Hope not to see you here, friend.
It's that bad? Doesn't Binghamton have an opera, symphony, live theater, sporting events, a decent arts scene and an area of town with an influence from those affiliated with the University on the city's Westside?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:23 PM

70 posts, read 164,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It's that bad? Doesn't Binghamton have an opera, symphony, live theater, sporting events, a decent arts scene and an area of town with an influence from those affiliated with the University on the city's Westside?
Yeah in my opinion it's definitely a little different from that. It's no cultural destination but it's not quite like he described. As far as it being extremely conservative(I assume you mean in a political sense) Bing, End and JC are more liberal, but in the rural areas it is mostly conservative.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:18 PM

18 posts, read 25,747 times
Cultural mecca"? Just because there isn't much to see or do in the Greater Binghamton area does not mean that it is not a livable city. The toxic fumes are limited to a few areas and the cancer cluster is only in Hillcrest or Endicott. Due to the exodus of all industry from the area, the air pollution is nothing like what it used to be. It is true that the opera is crappy but they have one and the city has tried to become the artiste's alternative life style capital of Broome County. I'd say that, aside from Boome Community college, it is fair to say that Binghamton University is the Public Ivy of Broome County. Don't worry about the polluted well water because you can buy bottled water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York