Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:15 AM

5 posts, read 15,802 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transferred to Mahwah, NJ and we are probably going to live over the border in New York. Does anyone have any input on where would be good to start looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 06:15 AM

505 posts, read 2,335,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammorg View Post
My husband is being transferred to Mahwah, NJ and we are probably going to live over the border in New York. Does anyone have any input on where would be good to start looking?
Tammorg,

First of all - welcome to the area! Second, it really depends on what you are looking for, the style of life you are looking for, and what your price range is.

Answer those 3 questions and we'll be able to give you a better idea.

Talk to you soon!

~Joey

Old 07-07-2008, 12:28 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Yea it does depend. I would recommend Warwick however.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:38 PM

We are looking for a quiet, safe area that also allows for easy access to main highway for commuting. I was also wondering about public transportation in the area. Is there any and where would we have to go to pick it up? We are moving up from Florida where the only thing offered is a short train so I'm new to that situation.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:44 PM

472 posts, read 872,067 times
Quote:
We are looking for a quiet, safe area that also allows for easy access to main highway for commuting. I was also wondering about public transportation in the area. Is there any and where would we have to go to pick it up? We are moving up from Florida where the only thing offered is a short train so I'm new to that situation.
Public Transportation from Orange County is really designed to get commuters to NYC to and from work.. There is a commuter train that runs from Port Jervis to Hoboken, NJ (with a transfer station in Secacus, NJ). It's last stop in NY is Suffern, NY. There is also Shortline which picks up in various communities along Rt 17. However it is really designed to drop off at the Port Authority in NYC. Monroe, Goshen and Chester are three towns you may have access to the Bus and arrive in Mahwah. (It may drop off in Mahwah, however there is no transportation from the Bus Stop to another desination). If you are really planning on moving to Orange County you should consider that a car is very necessary.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:32 AM

ocnymonty - thanks for the info. So it is feesible to live in Orange Co and work in NYC. Not being from the area I have no idea.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:37 PM

472 posts, read 872,067 times
Quote:
ocnymonty - thanks for the info. So it is feesible to live in Orange Co and work in NYC. Not being from the area I have no idea.

It is feasilble and for many families, absolutely necessary. There are few private employment opportunities within the county aside from warehouse work or retail... all which pay far less than what the cost of living allows for. I worked in NYC for 7 years and recently got a job in Upper Saddle River. A commute to NYC during rush hour using train or bus from Monroe can last anywhere from 1hr-15 min -2hrs each way. So if you are considering living in OC and working in or near Manhattan, 8-10 hours per week will be spent commuting. It is also expensive... $300-400 per month in commuting costs. My wife works in Purchase... she commutes easily 2 hrs each way in traffic. We live in Walden.

I'm not trying to scare you... just hoping you know the challenges of living upstate.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:20 AM

7 posts, read 25,864 times
Default Same here..

Quote:
We are moving there too. I'm researching it alot; esp the schools.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:01 PM

Thanks again for the info. It is certainly something to consider. Thankfully Mahwah is a straight shot down 17 for my husband. I don't have a job up there yet so travel will need to be considered.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:46 AM

18 posts, read 86,751 times
Mahwah and Paramus have alot of employment opportunities and the commute to Orange County would be approx 40 min-1 hour (not bad). I worked for a large corporate office in Mahwah for many years and 90% of the people there lived upstate. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York