Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 12:57 PM

160 posts, read 564,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
It truly is a shame that we aren't promoted more often and in a higher quality manner............emphasis on lakefront, marina, shops, downtown, history, etc. and was flat out told that people who want Plattsburgh to be more like Burlington should just move to Bton.
So strange, I know. It's mostly GOP up here, and you'd think that would mean some entrepreneurial spirit, but there's very little. It's like people are averse to/afraid of making money. Maybe it was so many years of reliance on the military, and on the old state Sen. Stafford, who brought in lots of pork, but it's almost as if nobody feels comfortable, with actual, you know, capitalism. Or at least being on the winning end of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 07:06 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,126 times
Post Know what you mean............

Seems like the people who are taking the bull by the horns are the townies..............The only real changes that ever happen are within the town of Pburgh, NOT the city. Never have understood that exactly. Know that our current mayor was born with the silver spoon and also married into the Bouyea bakery family, so there was no need to ever do real work.......His parents were well-off, he fell into a family job, then got handed a state job, etc............It seems like locals can't see the larger view which was Dan Stewart's forte. He came into this area and saw it as others/outsiders do, not as someone who grew up here. Financial timing was terrible of course, but many of his risks paid off.....We had more creative ideas and things accomplished while he was mayor than the other 5 or 6 mayors that I remember combined. The Mayor's Cup expansion to a week-long celebration which drew in many new people, the nationally sponsored fishing tournaments, the Battle of Pburgh weekends, the celebrations, and groundbreakings, renewal of downtown and Wilcox Dock opening again, downtown movies and concerts, and a general pride in the city. It seems as though all the new mayor does is veto everything which I guess is the sign of the present economic times, but it just makes him seem like a grumpy old man who never wants to have any fun............BTW, I hate the idea that we are suddenly going to tell an old-folks home that they have to pay taxes all of a sudden. That isn't what they signed up for.............Can't we come up with better ways to solve our financial problems without hitting up old people on fixed incomes? If they happen to be financially solvent, make the new tax rules apply to newcomers, not the folks that have been there for ten years. I just wouldn't want someone to do that to my Mom and Dad after all this time.......Sorry, I digress............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York