U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 04:38 AM

4 posts, read 77,111 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anyone has any opinion they'd like to share about living in Stony Point. I drove across 210 once and I thought it looked nice but don't know anyone there so haven't explored the area too much. I don't even know if the community has its own downtown! What I mostly need an opinion on is:

are the schools okay? i live in east ramapo school district now and need to bail before my kids are school age.

is it crazy to expect my husband to commute to NYC every day from Stony Point? are there many commuters there? what's the best mode of transport to the city?

Any input would be appreciated! I will be a first time home buyer and am scared out of my mind I'm going to pick the wrong Rockland town!
p.s. would love to live in Pearl River but there are no homes in my price range.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 08:04 AM

110 posts, read 491,236 times
Stony Point is nice North Rockland School district main shopping on 9W
The school district has a great sports program I myself live in Pearl River I have been here 30yrs and have no regrets

Old 07-24-2008, 01:21 AM

7 posts, read 31,857 times
Default Stony point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockland newbie View Post
I am wondering if anyone has any opinion they'd like to share about living in Stony Point. I drove across 210 once and I thought it looked nice but don't know anyone there so haven't explored the area too much. I don't even know if the community has its own downtown! What I mostly need an opinion on is:

are the schools okay? i live in east ramapo school district now and need to bail before my kids are school age.

is it crazy to expect my husband to commute to NYC every day from Stony Point? are there many commuters there? what's the best mode of transport to the city?

Any input would be appreciated! I will be a first time home buyer and am scared out of my mind I'm going to pick the wrong Rockland town!
p.s. would love to live in Pearl River but there are no homes in my price range.

thanks!
I have been living in Stony point almost six years...its a great area...it has that small town feeling but you are not far from anything..close proximity to places like woodbury commons, route 59, palisades mall and everything you need is located locally (banks,post offices,supermarkets,restaurants,etc. The schools are great for the kids. Only drawback is the taxes (practically doubled since I purchased my house)...past corrupt town supervisor (Steven Hurley) who basically stole money from the residents of Stony Point through fraudulent schemes involoving contractors and left us holding the (empty) bag...commuting can be a challenge unless your husband works off hours as I did in the past...residents have option of taking commuter buses into city right from the Stony point area...

Old 07-24-2008, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 77,111 times
someone just warned me about cancer clusters in Stony Point....now I'm having 2nd thoughts...

Old 08-04-2008, 01:41 PM

251 posts, read 794,976 times
cancer clusters?

Old 08-22-2008, 07:05 AM

28 posts, read 179,682 times
Where did u hear about cancer clusters specifically in Stony point- seems odd with all the new development there. Would like to hear more please. Thanks!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:54 AM

151 posts, read 705,654 times
More likely the stats are higher due to being in vicinity of Indian Point nuclear power plant that is almost directly across the river from Stony Point. Anywhere where you are close to a nuclear power plant the stats show elevated clusters.

Indian Point Public Health Risks

There was also Kay Fries chemical plant in Stony Point which at one time was the #1 super fund site beating out Love Canal. But it is closed now but I would stay away from the streets around it since you never know whats in the ground when they start digging things up for new development. Stony Point is a pretty big town though so we are only talking a very small part of it.

Not sure about now a days but North Rockland High used to ship deviants being rejected from Westchester county schools and has a heavy security/police contigent in the schools. (what does that tell you). Meanwhile school taxes go through the roof since if people vote down the budget they keep putting it back up for a vote knowing that people will lose interest going to the polls to vote it down.

With all that said Rockland County and particularly towns along the river are the most scenic of any surrounding NYC county. But just a bit difficult to commute into the city since no train service except for Suffern and Pearl River. There is always the ferry from Haverstraw but it closes in the winter due to Hudson River icing.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:44 PM

9 posts, read 56,992 times
cancer clusters around kay fries drive, thats on 9w around the new walmart, so don't buy around there, its a superfund site, and so of course the brains in charge want to build a super stop and shop, the food will glow green. the schools suffer from the gangs and there is a big security presence, but most of the violence is in the town of haverstraw, stony point is a safe place. commuting is not that bad, direct access to the PIP to the GW or stony point park and ride on 9w has coach buses directly to the port authority

Old 09-13-2008, 12:27 AM

120 posts, read 243,372 times
I'm pretty happy hear. Yes, the nuke plant is directly across from me. Scary to look at at times. But, if something should happen, Rockland, Westchester, Northern Jersey, Putnam, and NYC would all be, well, screwed. Can't live like that...

Its nice here. Small town feeling, but growing rapidly. Its no Clarkstown. Maybe, Clarkstown of the 70's. Not much traffic, close to most.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:58 AM

151 posts, read 705,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7laura397 View Post
cancer clusters around kay fries drive, thats on 9w around the new walmart, so don't buy around there, its a superfund site, and so of course the brains in charge want to build a super stop and shop, the food will glow green. the schools suffer from the gangs and there is a big security presence, but most of the violence is in the town of haverstraw, stony point is a safe place. commuting is not that bad, direct access to the PIP to the GW or stony point park and ride on 9w has coach buses directly to the port authority
You mean the new Walgreens. Would have been nice to have a Walmart there but instead we get a new Walgreens and another CVS being built.
5 drug stores within a quarter mile on 9W in Stony Point and another bank being built right next to it.

I agree the building of a Shop Rite on the old Kay Fries site is just nuts and believe during construction is going to contaminate the workers and those living in parts of West Haverstraw and Stony Point depending on which way the wind is blowing. They should just tear down the vacant Stop n Shop and build the new Shop Rite there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York