Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 12:51 AM

74 posts, read 260,454 times

Advertisements

I read an article recently in the Economist Magazine about the emigration of people from California to other states, and they are not always welcome. There is even a term for it "Californicate". Basically, we bring our own values and culture and overwhelm the locals.

I have been in California for 2 years now (San Francisco). I was born in California, but I have spent most of my adult life elsewhere (eastern Canada), and I can't begin to afford to stay here in San Francisco. So we will now move elsewhere.

I am looking at Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse in New York. Or maybe follow the crowds and go to Denver, Salt Lake or Portland, Oregon (too rainy). We don't like the heat of the South or the desert southwest.

Maybe upstate New York will be the next destination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 09:37 AM

40 posts, read 207,200 times
We have a vacation place just outside of Oxford NY, in Chenango County, neighboring Madison county.

Pros:
It is a very pretty rural area. Charming small towns, lots of rolling hills, cows, corn, and talkative locals. Scenic autumn's. Very little traffic in the winter, picking up to moderate in the summer. Home prices are reasonable, (compared to Long Island where we have our permanent residence), ($250K will get you a nice sized home with some acreage). In 1998, we paid 27K, for a 10yr old, 17 'X 70' single-wide on 14 acres.

Cons: Property taxes are still somewhat high comparable to most other places in the country, although probably on par, (and maybe a little lower) with Ca., (we pay $1500 per year, on a 27K property). If you buy an older home that was assessed, at a lower price the property taxes will be lower. (My neighbor, who has been there forever pays a few hundred dollars a year.) On one 30 acre farm, with a 5 acre lake, 2 barns, and a beautiful old farm house that we were trying to buy in 2005 for $259,000, that had been assessed at $79K, had property taxes of $3800/yr.

Long, cold winters.

Maybe good, maybe bad, depending on whether you like winter sports/activities....

Lots, and lots of snow.

Not sure if it is permitted to post real estate links, so I may be edited here, but googling the area doesn't really take you to any applicable links. So to check out some real estate prices, you can remove the spaces, and add the applicable dots.... Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by arjr; 01-27-2007 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York