Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:41 PM

62 posts, read 140,172 times

Advertisements

I am planning on relocating from the mtns of California to upper state New York. Am interested in rural property and not any in flood plains. Can anyone help me on Hamilton, Madison or other communities. I am retired with relatives on the east coast. From what I have seen on the internet upper NY looks just what I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 04:05 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times
Hamilton in Madison County New York is a nice community if you are looking to live in a small college town in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by farmland and rolling hills.

Colgate University is in Hamilton. I believe enrollment is only around 2,000 students. The campus is attractive. The village of Hamilton has a nice looking historic downtown. I believe most residents and students head to Utica for shopping(about 45 minutes away), even though Hamilton is located in the Syracuse metro.

Nothing wrong with calling this area "upper NY" since most will know what you mean, but the correct terminology is Upstate NY. More people will understand what you mean if you say Upstate as opposed to upper.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-23-2007, 05:23 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
Funny, I thought he was going to be talking about the Adirondacks. I'd say Central NY is closer to what he means.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the replies. I stand corrected, Upstate NY. I have friends that are relocating to further Upstate, near Lake George. I visited Hamilton in the sixties and loved it. I live in the mountains of So. California and love the blue skies and clean air, but not the influx of development and overcrowding that has come about in the last ten years. California has too many problems that are beyond correction.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:33 PM

It's much greener here too!

Old 01-25-2007, 07:48 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,585 times
Just make sure you do your research that the town to will plan to move to is not targeted for the installation of large 400 ft Industrial Wind Turbines. Its a really big issue in Upstate NY because the politicians want to project they are for alternative green energy and farmers get a few thousand bucks, and you get something the size of a 40 story building whirling away in your backyard.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:09 PM

Default Gosh, gotta go

I know a lot of you don't want a lot of sudden influx of immigrants into your state. Neither did we. However, since WWII many thousands of Americans darted all over the country. Give us a chance. I am an American, 72 years. So if NY or CA or MO or whatever, I love this country and believe in the old-fashioned values of home, family and country I want it for myself and family, so give me and mine a chance. I won't let you down.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:39 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,409 times
ddana, I am not sure what made you post the last comment. I can't find anyone telling you that you are not welcome in NY?!

I am in the Southern Tier, moved up from the NY Metro area. I think it is great you are coming to NY-it has a lot to offer but it is tough for jobs, so many people just can't make the move. I am sure you will love it here, it is simply beautiful and a wonderful place to live. I think what BovinaCow is talking about is the battle we are fighting in NY with industrial wind turbines.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:17 PM

Sorry if you got the wrong impression. Please DO come!! We have plenty of room and old fashioned values here too. You'll LOVE it!

PM me if you need any info.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 01-26-2007 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-26-2007, 01:25 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddana View Post
I know a lot of you don't want a lot of sudden influx of immigrants into your state. Neither did we. However, since WWII many thousands of Americans darted all over the country. Give us a chance. I am an American, 72 years. So if NY or CA or MO or whatever, I love this country and believe in the old-fashioned values of home, family and country I want it for myself and family, so give me and mine a chance. I won't let you down.
Huh arent we all immigrants? Not sure where you got that impression. Please move on over! I wanted to let you know that many of these areas are being destroyed by Energy companies erecting large 400 ft Wind turbines. They are very noisy, catch fire and ruin the viewshed we all moved here for. And they do not contribute to the energy situation - its just a scam.

Any questions you have about the southern tier Delaware county ask away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York