U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2007, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 11,986 times

Advertisements

Can someone guide me in the right direction. I am currently having trouble with my 16yr old son. He's a High School student and does not have any H.S. credits. I am considering placing him within a Alternative High School to obtain a General Equivalency Dipolma. He's been diagnosed with a learning disability and does not want to face reality. I believe what he needs is a smaller school setting. Which what is previous school tried placing him in before my move to Middletown,NY. If anyone out there reads this please do give me any recommendations you may feel is helpful. He's basicly a good kid; I am afraid that he may get hooked up with the wrong crowd.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 12:05 PM

35 posts, read 153,061 times
I know that Ulster County offers BOCES which is a vocational, as well as an alternative school. The buildings are seperate but on the same grounds. I do believe there is Orange County BOCES which will probably be best for you. They may even be able to offer him class time to obtain his GED, as well as some vocational class time with something hands on that he likes such as mechanical class, electric, culinary and so on. I know they do offer a lot of different types of vocational classes for the kids. Good Luck!

Old 01-24-2007, 02:56 PM

140 posts, read 704,551 times
Default school guidance counselor

bzmon1025 is correct. BOCES is most likely the place where your son should be receiving educational and vocational services.

But, first you need to stop wasting time on the internet seeking advice from strangers, and get yourself and your son to his school's guidance counselor ASAP. They will know your son's educational strengths and weaknesses and be able to provide recommendations as to what type of educational setting best serves your son, and where to get it. No doubt, it will be a BOCES, but you need to start at your son's school and their guidance office first. I would not delay your visit...this is too important...it's your son's future...

Old 01-25-2007, 10:58 AM

302 posts, read 1,392,500 times
Definately BOCES in Goshen. Great school with many vocational programs. My son went to BOCES auto body, (won state auto body competition), went to universal Technical Institute for Auto Mechanics, and now is a BMW mechanic making very good pay. (more than I make as a therapist!)

Old 02-15-2007, 06:54 AM

I do thank you for advice. We were new to the area and coming from another part of the city. I had received advice from his guidance counselor at his old school. Since relocating I was just asking for advice on any alternatives that anyone knew of. Since I had not had the opportunity of registering him here at Middletown. Thank you once again. I felt that it was not a waste of time. I was just seeking advice from everyone. But since taking him to his H.S I was given the information; which I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwick View Post
bzmon1025 is correct. BOCES is most likely the place where your son should be receiving educational and vocational services.

But, first you need to stop wasting time on the internet seeking advice from strangers, and get yourself and your son to his school's guidance counselor ASAP. They will know your son's educational strengths and weaknesses and be able to provide recommendations as to what type of educational setting best serves your son, and where to get it. No doubt, it will be a BOCES, but you need to start at your son's school and their guidance office first. I would not delay your visit...this is too important...it's your son's future...

Old 05-01-2007, 11:59 AM

Thank you so much for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: