Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,411 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job relocation to Plattsburgh Ny and I have only heard things that are negative about the community. Is is very close minded? Is it racially tolerant? Are the schools good? ANy info please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 12:54 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
Usually communities that had gay mayors aren't too close minded.
Its a college town so it attracts lots of open minded people. If you travel to the outer areas, you'll run into some hostile types, but in Plattsburgh you should be find.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:05 PM

46 posts, read 163,379 times
Its a college town, what do you expect, it began its growth due to an air force base, that is not very active if still in service..

Im going up there in the fall for school!!!

its very close to montreal and burlington !!!

Old 08-11-2008, 08:17 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,629 times
Question More info.........

Where are you relocating from?????? That usually makes a difference in what you expect. What negatives have you heard specifically so we can try to give you the good and bad.......It isn't all one or the other in any place......Wondering what type job it is and if you know where you would like to live. Will definitely agree with Garman................inside the city = college, mix of more Vermonters, NYers who have moved here, non-natives..........outside the city (with maybe exception of Peru district) = many more locals who possibly have never left the area/county EVER! Think that tends to be a general rule of thumb everywhere though. More city, more diversity.........rural areas (I was born in the deep South), less tolerant and more closed-minded (generally).....

Old 08-11-2008, 08:49 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I think the Air Force presence there helps too in terms of the diversity that has been there. It's not like it is something new to the area and being within an hour of Montreal doesn't hurt either. Also, like others have said, having SUNY-Plattsburgh and Clinton Community College adds to the flavor. There are even churches that serve different ethnic/racial communities there too. So, it should be fine in that department.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:54 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,051 times
What is all this talk about the Air Force base in Plattsburgh??
It closed in 1995.
Why do people make comments without knowing the facts?

Old 08-12-2008, 02:42 PM

Sorry, meant to say the presence helped and I believe many former Air Force families still live in the area.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:40 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,629 times
Post Hey Mr. Kooooooool..........

Yes, why do people say things without knowing "the facts"?????????? The fact is that Plattsburgh's immediate past mayor (and the mayor even before him) were products of the AFB. Most of the dentists and other medical professionals stayed here after the base closed...........from Ohio, Michigan, Texas, and our two best known plastic surgeons are here from Tennessee! Since the Air Force Base had one of its largest 2 wings based here from about the mid-50's, what Plattsburgh ended up with were kids that grew up here and married locals, people who ended up loving this area and becoming connected and even after retirement staying, and for one former police chief, got out of the service, worked in the police department and is now the president of the largest shipping, distribution company in a tri-county area. Many of the customs and border officials, immigration officials at the Canadian border crossings are people who initially arrived here because of PAFB. There are many reasons why Plattsburgh is now more diverse than say.........Glens Falls ????? for example........The SUNY campus is a huge factor, Clinton College less so because more locals attend there..........many professors from other areas of the country and of course lots of NYC kids with various backgrounds and more international students than ever before, more Canadians setting up an American branch for their businesses here, more southern border patrols people being sent up here instead of the Mexican border, more downstaters working in the prison system up here before they can get enough seniority to move back downstate/closer to home, more Montrealers being paid a premium to do health care here, so they (many nurses/doctors) end up staying here during the week and go home to Canada for the weekend, and last but not least.........the continuing influence of people from all over the US who ended up at this large AFB from the time it opened in mid 1950 to when it finally closed in the mid-1990's.
Many families are now here simply because they had fond memories of this area and either stayed or came back here after their military retirement. My next door neighbor is my age and her father stayed here after the Air Force, the teacher across the street's father still lives here and he was a bomber pilot during the 60's, and I am still here from the early 80's (there are a surprising number of southerners here.........considering the location of Pburgh......also more Vermonters are seeing that real estate is cheaper here and also there are branches of businesses here that started in Vermont. It's become quite the melting pot for its size, and a huge factor remains the very large Air Force Base here for about 40 years.......no kidding!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:48 PM

I was not surprised by your post plattsburgher. I think the same thing occurred in Rome, Newburgh, Niagara Falls, the North Syracuse/Syracuse area due to those communities having former AFB's and even now in the Watertown area with Ft. Drum being there now. Can't forget the West Point area as well.

Also, where in the South are you from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York