U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2008, 07:54 PM

6 posts, read 21,932 times

Advertisements

My husband and I, along with our young daughter might possibly be moving to Norwich. I am a little nervous since I am not familiar with the area and I think it is a lot different from where we are now. What is the town and neighboring towns like? Best areas to live? Any info will be much appreciated!!!
Thank You!!!!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 02:34 PM

65,207 posts, read 90,981,487 times
Here's onformation on the area:Norwich New York

The Evening Sun | Chenango County, NY's Hometown Newspaper

Chenango County Chamber of Commerce

Norwich (city), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:20 PM

Thank you for the links. Any suggestions for daycare/pre-school for my 3 year old?

Old 08-19-2008, 02:53 PM

65,207 posts, read 90,981,487 times
Here's a site with some info. on pre-K facilities:Childcare Directory in Tri-County Area (http://www.tri-countyny.net/childcare/prek.htm - broken link)

Norwich Preschools & Daycare

and here is information on school districts in the area:Norwich City School District

Oxford Academy and Central Schools

Afton Central School

Greene Central School District

Bainbridge-Guilford Central School District

Welcome to SECSD!

Unadilla Valley CS - Welcome!

Otselic Valley Central School District - NY - District Home

and the most recent school report card for each of the districts in chenango county:https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2007&county=Chenango (broken link)

Old 08-19-2008, 06:12 PM

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:05 PM

15 posts, read 71,244 times
We moved to Norwich in 1988. At the time, apartments were hard to find. We really had to compromise on living accommodations. There were a few more choices out of our price range but not a significant number. I can hope things improved since then. If you are looking to buy, that is probably not an issue. Also at that time mortgage interest rates were very high, making home ownership prohibitive. The city itself is somewhat isolated in that there are no major interstates close by. This can be good or bad depending on your perspective. There are a lot more stores there nowadays as well so the isolation factor is not as acute. We now live in a small village located just off I88. That is much more to our personal taste. There is not much right here but it is a short drive on the interstate to Binghamton or Oneonta.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:20 PM

9,341 posts, read 26,843,635 times
There are 3 "Norwich" in New York State: the City of Norwich and the Town of Norwich in Chenango County and the Hamlet of East Norwich in the Town of Oyster, Nassau County on Long Island.

For the NYS definition of city, town, village, hamlet, etc.: NYS Geographic Glossary

Old 10-26-2008, 06:25 AM

8 posts, read 20,344 times
Default I live in Norwich and I chose Norwich above all other NY sites

The the thing that endeared me to Norwich, NY was it's cosmopolitan atmosphere, Chenango County seat so all the important county offices are here. We have all denominations of churches here and the people are pretty friendly and courteous. I moved here from Michigan and I would never want to return to Michigan. I love it here. I am retired and bought a lovely 100 year old home in good shape and nice level floors with solid wood doors which I adore. Golf courses abound and festivals of all kinds are frequent here as well as classic car fans. Norwich hosts a giant classic are event every year at the fair grounds. The scenery is gorgeous situated in the Valley of the foothills of the mountains which are about 250 miles from here. Nature trails and snow shoeing in the winter are popular and taxes are reasonable as well as the real estate. If you like quiet nights and pleasant days, Norwich is for you. If you want city life and stimulaton Binghamton, NY is only 20 some miles away. We have an excellent hospital and surgical center in Norwich so you will be well taken care of. Nursing homes abound in the area and have vacancies I am told. Please consider moving here.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:21 PM

585 posts, read 2,071,941 times
Is anyone familiar with Norwich Pharmaceuticals and the impact it has on Norwich? Is the local community in pretty good shape or is it a little depressed? How isolated does it feel?

FYI Binghamton is 40 miles from Norwich, not "20 some".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York