Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:14 PM

10 posts, read 53,998 times

Advertisements

Hi I have been looking for homes in lower Westchester for 5 years .My family and I are from The BRONX Pelham Bay area . Even though sad to go reality is the place is going to sh--! due to the fact that the politicans do not want to build new schools. so the schools are busting and are not keeping up with the growth of the future. so people are moving and the neigborhood is just not the same sadly enough.
I have been searching for a nice size house since there is 5 of us, but it doesn't seeem to be happening in my price range. We went to Rockland county this weekend for open houses and came across a nice house in NEW CITY with South Clarkstown schools. the houses in the area go for 400 to mid 500's not use to seeing that. Gives me a YIKES feeling like something is wrong. The house i saw was almost 4,000 square feet for about 650000 they wont get that but still, in Westchester that would be a 4 millions dollar house. so i am asking help me out is this area worth giving a chance? I am afraid to go to an area that I know nothing about besides shopping at the mall there. or should I just wait and keep looking in westchester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 09:50 PM

277 posts, read 773,449 times
Default dooo eeeet!

Absolutely it's worth a chance. If you can afford a nice home in Rockland, ESPECIALLY New City, by all means you should do it. I grew up in the next town over, West Nyack, and I would buy a home in Clarkstown in a hearbeat if I had the money. I attended Clarkstown South HS, it's an excellent school.

Rockland is a great place to live. There is tons of shopping, awesome schools, safe neighborhoods, TONS of awesome restaurants, and it is still very close to NYC. If you have the money it is a win/win situation.

Good Luck!

Old 01-30-2007, 06:37 AM

10 posts, read 53,998 times
thank you so much .your feed back was Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just needed some inside look. Do you like any other towns close by too? I am open to looking. I looked in Clarkstown also but felt it was alot of raised ranches which i am not crazy about.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:07 PM

11 posts, read 68,788 times
I grew up in Rockland County for 20 years, and I didn't like it. The majority of the people there are very snobby and nasty, especially in Clarkstown--the township for which New City is town center and county seat.
$650,000 for a house is obscene. The prices for housing are not based on reality, but classicism. With fantasyland prices for even the smallest of homes, only the very rich can afford to live there. Orange County, just north of Rockland, is still reasonable and a bus/train ride away from NYC, but you'd better hurry before the price-gouging hits there as well.
If that doesn't work for you, there's always Jersey....

Old 05-07-2007, 06:40 PM

11 posts, read 48,762 times
Default I'm doing it and I am from Throgs Neck....

I am in the same boat as you! I was raised in Throgs Neck and as you know the area isn't getting any better. They have built homes on any piece of empty land and rent them out.....the area is soooo overpopulated.

Anyway, my husband and I are looking in Rockland.....Tappan/Orangeburg/WNyack....and I have no doubt that this is the right move! Westchester is too expensive...even though taxes can be a little high in Rockland...there are still not as high as Westchester. Also, I think you get more house for your money.

Think of it this way....if it's not Rockland, than where....the only other commutable (is this a word? ) place besides Westchester.

Good luck.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:37 AM

33 posts, read 151,885 times
Default Off the subject, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
Absolutely it's worth a chance. If you can afford a nice home in Rockland, ESPECIALLY New City, by all means you should do it. I grew up in the next town over, West Nyack, and I would buy a home in Clarkstown in a hearbeat if I had the money. I attended Clarkstown South HS, it's an excellent school.

Rockland is a great place to live. There is tons of shopping, awesome schools, safe neighborhoods, TONS of awesome restaurants, and it is still very close to NYC. If you have the money it is a win/win situation.

Good Luck!
Since you grew up around the area, I was wondering if you knew anything about Stony Point. It's north of New City, but I'm not sure how far north and I'm searching for any info to help me decide about relocating. thanks

Old 06-14-2007, 12:26 PM

47 posts, read 193,168 times
Lived in Rockland for 15 years. As a previous poster has said - many of the restaurants are great and plenty to choose from.

Being close to Bear Mountain, Harriman State Park, Rockland Lake, and Nyack Beach State Park ( The Hook), enables you to tap into a nature walk anytime you wish.
Moreover, IMHO, I believe, as far as New City is concerned you get the best bang for your buck in property and school taxes - all things considered.

Good Luck
DB

Old 06-14-2007, 12:47 PM

47 posts, read 193,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot14 View Post
Since you grew up around the area, I was wondering if you knew anything about Stony Point. It's north of New City, but I'm not sure how far north and I'm searching for any info to help me decide about relocating. thanks
Saw the post - thought I would jump in.

Stony Point, once you get to the parkway is about 15 minutes north of New City. Exit 10 and 11 to exit 15. Stony Point is smaller with more of a small town feel, more mountainess overall, with more of a mixture of housing; smaller homes all the way up to "McMansions" with beautiful views.

There has been a major problem in the area the last couple of years however. The power plant, the school board, and the town have been fighting over tax money - lawsuits galore. Things are starting to straighten out now, but the home owners have received a major tax hike.

DB

Old 06-15-2007, 09:12 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,623 times
New City is a very gorgeous area...I wish you the best of luck in your home search...Just take your time, there's a good amount of houses on the market in that immediate area. West Nyack is also really nice. I've been showing a client a lot of homes over there (she's picky, so I've seen them all)...but a lot of really nice homes, depending on exactly what you want.

Good luck, keep us all posted on how your search is going!

~Joey

Old 06-16-2007, 12:51 AM

52 posts, read 567,410 times
New City is a really great area - awesome place for families, as is West Nyack. Both New City & West Nyack are in Clarkstown School District (extends into other Clarkstown villages, too) so the the schools are top-notch.
I think it's a lovely area, really. I cannot complain at all (well, the taxes, maybe!). If you see a property you love, snap it up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York