Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 05:47 PM

5 posts, read 27,079 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a job related move to Oswego and would like information about the community involvement. I am particularly interested in mom and tots groups. I have searched and been unable to find any web site listing and local groups. Also how is the local recreation department or the local YMCA? We have a four year old and a two year old that will be homeschooled and being active in the local community is very important to us. We are also curious about a local homeschooling group. We are current members of a local homeschooling group where we participate in field trips and idea shaing through net working.

Any info will be greatly appreciated for Oswego or the local commuting area/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 06:32 PM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Here's some information on Oswego area community organizations and the area:Oswego YMCA

Paws Across Oswego County

Oswego Salvation Army

The Official Web Site of the City of Oswego

State University of New York at Oswego

Oswego County Tourism Home Page

Homepage - Oswego, NY - The Palladium-Times

The Official Web Site of Oswego County, NY, USA

Fulton YMCA This is a nearby small city that is about 10 miles away.

I hope this helps.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:54 AM

5 posts, read 27,079 times
Tremendously helpful!!! I considered myself having done a thorough internet search - but had not discovered several of these sites. Thank you so much!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 07:58 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,225,607 times
Oswego is very oriented towards kids. There is a pumpkin festival, storytelling at the library, haunted house and pirates weekend at the Maritime Museum, a teddy bear tea, and during Harborfest a children's parade. There is also an arts in the park program and a county owned overnight sleep away camp on the lakeshore.

In addition there are sailing and fishing lessons at the Maritime Foundation, swimming lessons at the Y from birth on, an art guild, and children's theatre. There is also a tall ship which will be used for lake research by students of all ages who will help sail the vessel. In the summer the college offers several exploratory classes of interest for grade school kids that range from juggling to astronomy. There are free concerts during the summer along the riverwalk and in Breitbeck Pk overlooking the lake as well as at the farmers market.

Rice Creek has wilderness walks and a small lab/museum. There is a public pool, public ice skating rinks, children's hockey, and places to learn dressage (horse back riding). There are dance studios and music lessons and I believe the local schools let homeschoolers attend any sports programs or field trips.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:05 PM

862 posts, read 1,042,236 times
If you dont luv snow dont go-NO JOKE !!!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 08:14 PM

Besides the snow, it is a nice city of about 19,000 people right on Lake Ontario. Friendly people and pretty safe.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:01 PM

862 posts, read 1,042,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Besides the snow, it is a nice city of about 19,000 people right on Lake Ontario. Friendly people and pretty safe.
True it is a very nice small city.Also True I;ve seen 4 ft of snow on the level there (at least 4 ft)!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:37 AM

4 posts, read 12,474 times
Default Yes

Oswego is very child oriented. And, I have to say. It is a great place to Live. I Lived here most of my Life, moved down to West Virginia with my Wife for two years. We hated it down there and Missed Oswego terribly. So, last December we moved back to Oswego. There is a lot of snow here, but honestly people make a bigger deal out of it than it actually is. The snow is out weighed by the community's homie, safe, small town feeling. I absolutely love it here and I hope you do to. That other person pretty much covered all the bases with those websites, but if you have any questions about Oswego feel free to e-mail me at NYGiants13126@gmail.com and I will be happy to help as much as I can.

And, Like I said...I Hope and Think you will Love it here in Oswego. We look forward to having you as a part of our community.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:20 PM

Yeah, I actually liked my time up there when I went to SUNY-Oswego, which is an underrated school, imo. Nice people with a lot of history, good schools, safe neighborhoods, good nightlife for a city of it's size and beautiful sunsets off of Lake Ontario. I miss going to Garofalo's and getting that huge sandwiches on half a loaf, Canale's Restaurant(there is one in Liverpool too), Oswego Sub Shop, Rudy's and Bev's by the Lake and so on.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:23 AM

6 posts, read 13,258 times
There is a bar on every corner (nearly, heh heh) and is a big college town. Other than that, everyone else's comments are spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York