Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:44 AM

306 posts, read 1,620,421 times

Advertisements

From today's on-line Buffalo News:

Spitzer proposing property tax cut

Homeowners in Erie county would save about $400

By TOM PRECIOUS
News Albany Bureau
1/31/2007

ALBANY - Property taxes would be cut by $1.5 billion in 2007-08 under a proposal announced Tuesday by Gov. Eliot L. Spitzer.
The average homeowner's property tax bill in Erie County would be cut by about $400 in the coming fiscal year, beyond what is already planned under the state's STAR tax-reduction program. The cut, which targets middle-class taxpayers, would especially benefit families making less than $60,000 annually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 10:55 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
I believe it is a small start in the right direction. A couple hundred dollars does not mean much when we already pay a couple more thousand than we should. I think its a start and I think it could be passed.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:47 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,280 times
Unless something is done to control spending, it's money that will have to come out of something else.

I firmly believe that fully 30-35% of that money goes to waste and graft.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:38 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
I'm expecting the cut to become negated by his other proposal of longer school days and years, up to another full month. The teacher's unions aren't going to sit still without a raise, and that in my estimation is going to bring taxes right back where they were in the first place.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:47 PM

134 posts, read 519,652 times
I waiting for the rest of the information to be delivered regarding this tax cut. A tax cut for the middle class with no reduction in spending means only one thing... more taxes shifted to the "rich" & businesses. If it does impact businesses, then it's all for nothing as more companies will leave the state. He also campaigned on fixing the business climate and workers comp issues. We'll see. Seems like a shell game to me...so far. Do I trust them.... no, not really. It's NY politics after all. Where all the legislative decisions are made by three men (Gov, Assy Leader, Sen. Leader) and the game is to go along to get along. I am hopeful.... but wary.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:40 PM

306 posts, read 1,620,421 times
Has Spitzer proposed/promised any spending cuts? Are they realistic/likely to go through?

Any easing of the tax burden on businesses?

Any expanding of gov't./business and/or educational institution/business partnerships?

When someone says "We need to reduce businesses' tax burden or jobs will continue to leave the state," what are the excuses given not to do that?

Old 02-01-2007, 04:19 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times
The state needs to cut waste, bureaucracy, etc. Medicaid and welfare needs an overhaul. Then you can really cut some taxes. $1.5b in a $100 plus billion budget is not too impressive.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:37 AM

160 posts, read 564,802 times
Default Spitzer cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeward bound View Post
Has Spitzer proposed/promised any spending cuts? Are they realistic/likely to go through?
He's forming a group to suggest prison closings over the next two years, for one.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:57 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
Actually, he's adding taxes to some businesses, closing some loopholes he said. There are instances of abuse in that regard for companies who were suppose to add employees and haven't.

The university/business research consortiums were Pataki. I don't see any thoughts in that regard so far with Spitzer nor for the money Pataki put in to upgrade state university physical campuses.

One hard dynamic to overcome is that nearly half of the state budget is spent on medicaid and social programs. I'd like to see a study to see what percentage is elders in nursing homes and what percentage is people working at poverty wages. I'm betting that's what the majority of it is which means the lack of decent paying jobs is having a negative and continuing pull downward on the state.

They've also proposed increasing cigarette taxes yet again. I think this will backfire too. The indians are building capacity to manufacture on their reservations. Last time there was a confrontation they closed down all the major roads running through their property. Legislators seem to think this is 'their' lost money when it never belonged to them in the first place.

In my mind Pataki had the right idea - invest in growing new businesses with the what and who we have. After all, we have more colleges here than most other states and graduates can't find jobs.

We'll see how Spitzer does. He promises to review all departments for efficiency.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:34 PM

134 posts, read 519,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Actually, he's adding taxes to some businesses, closing some loopholes he said. There are instances of abuse in that regard for companies who were suppose to add employees and haven't.
Yes... this is a proposal to cut some "loopholes".. while we should also recognize that most businesses operate within the rules to the best of their abilities. And even those that may have not met all the requirements to add employees... I wonder how much buracracy they had to deal with to get the "loophole". So far, there have been no proposals to cut spending. That's what this is should be all about, not the game of cutting a small amount of middle income taxes over a few years.

Note: NYS has some of the overall highest tax rates in the nation. And we have better schools, better roads, better social services, better healthcare, better sports stadiums, better mass transit, better local governments than anyone else..... ever! OK... that may have been a little over the top, but I hope I've made my point. This state has an unbelievably huge bureaucracy and there is no real belief that will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York