Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 12:02 AM

306 posts, read 1,623,194 times

Advertisements

Hey all.
We're recently back from a LONG trip through upstate. Will post soon about it, so succinct ones among ye, be forewarned.

A place we DIDN'T get to but since learned we should have is Cambridge. From what I can see on-line, this is a great little town. So please share your views of it. We like the Hammondsport/Cazenovia/Cooperstown/Hamilton type of places. Old, with solid old/redeemable housing stock, better "too far" in the country than too close to a city, minimal suburbanization, good balance of "culture" and unpretentiousness, some freshwater you can swim and fish in nearby, etc. From what we can see, this describes Cambridge pretty well. With the added bonus of being really nicely located (near, by our standards, Adirondacks, Cooperstown, NYC, Boston).

A few initial questions, though.

While Cambridge does have some pricey homes, we see some great homes listed for sale there at very reasonable prices. So...is there something WRONG with Cambridge? Or are these reasonably-priced homes priced at that level because, as I suspect and hope, there are other, similarly classy old homes around in other nearby towns?

Is it one of those towns of great old homes but a depressing mood and depressed economy? (E.g., it pains me to say, a Bath or an Elmira.)

Is it insufferably aware of its charm, and smothering in that way?

How are its raising-a-family factors?

Is Cambridge likely to get swamped by Albany's expanding suburbs, or some other potentially ruinous wave?

What would be the odds of finding public school teaching jobs within a reasonable commute (45 minutes, say) of the town?

And what's with all the hot-air balloon images and logos??

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 09:52 AM

23,178 posts, read 26,307,480 times
I am not a resident of the village, only the surrounding rural Cambridge township but a lifelong resident of the 'next village over'

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeward bound View Post

A few initial questions, though.

While Cambridge does have some pricey homes, we see some great homes listed for sale there at very reasonable prices. So...is there something WRONG with Cambridge? Or are these reasonably-priced homes priced at that level because, as I suspect and hope, there are other, similarly classy old homes around in other nearby towns?

There is nothing 'wrong' and as old timers, I don't always think of the prices as low
Your suspicion is correct

Is it one of those towns of great old homes but a depressing mood and depressed economy? (E.g., it pains me to say, a Bath or an Elmira.)

Cambridge has done much over the years to bring itself up and out of what my hometown did not......stagnancy.
It has, without becoming too hoity-toity, encouraged a lot of arts and culture befitting it's size and has kept a Main St shopping area alive and interesting.

Is it insufferably aware of its charm, and smothering in that way?
See above.Too many natives in and around for that to happen

How are its raising-a-family factors?
School is respected.Although nobody lives in a cocoon anymore, all surrounding towns are relatively quiet and safe

Is Cambridge likely to get swamped by Albany's expanding suburbs, or some other potentially ruinous wave?
Doubtful.....we're still considered 'too far' from major roads.45 minutes to an hour

What would be the odds of finding public school teaching jobs within a reasonable commute (45 minutes, say) of the town?
Off hand I'd say the odds aren't bad.....somebody that works in education mentioned to me last week that in Cambridge itself, you have to 'know somebody' or that most teachers are graduates.
I can't say whether or not that is true.

And what's with all the hot-air balloon images and logos??
The balloon festival has become a yearly event.It's well promoted , prints of the years chosen painting are available year round. Just one of those things that caught on

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:13 PM

Thanks, Old-Cold! Looks like a great town.

Two more questions:

Is there decent fishing, swimming, and boating relatively nearby?

Is there Amtrak service to NYC and/or Boston nearby?

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:16 PM

Okay, one more question:

Is "The Old School Building," the big old brick one that was near the Cambridge Library building, still standing and used?

On a couple of websites, it's referred to as still being there, but I couldn't see it in background of the several pictures of the Cambridge Library I was able to find. One site suggested it was used as the "Municipal Building." (I know that Cambridge built a "new" central school building in 1950--I'm referring to the school building that *preceded* the "new" 1950 one.)

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2008, 10:15 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,298,639 times
The Battenkill River is nearby and the section between Manchester VT and Cambridge is world renowned for fly fishing. It is also a popular river for tubing and canoeing.
A question about the hospital...did it close? I remember hearing that it was going to. I worked at Southwestern VT Medical Center for a summer and remember that a lot of patients came from the Cambridge area.
Another town in that area that is nice is Greenwich-would be worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York