U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 08:21 AM

8 posts, read 39,215 times

Advertisements

We have 2 young children and currently live in Brooklyn, NY. My husband & I are considering a move up to Greene County, NY and we are trying to figure out what areas would be good for us. Are there any communities more suitable for transplants from NYC? I work in healthcare and would prefer an area close to a hospital and of course schools are important.

We would take suggestions to ANY area (not just limited to Greene County) but we prefer to be within about 2 hours of NYC.

Thank you!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 05:43 PM

237 posts, read 729,278 times
There are a few things to remember whenever moving.
Don't expect anywhere to be like your old home. We recently moved from Greene County to North Carolina. While I like many factors here mostly revolving around our children, what I found we didn't consider is how making this change would affect us as adults. It's one thing to say you are ready to make a change, it's quite another to change every aspect of the life you know.
Don't be fooled by people who will tell you to look at schools test scores to figure things out. I can tell you from experience that our children went to Durham Elementary and received as close to a private school education with out the large bill as you could get. The dedication to students in that school went way above and beyond. People here can't believe it when I tell them what our children did there.
Middle School/High School don't have the best overall test scores, however, good students who come from involved parents and are motivated will still get an excellent education. Our son is a year ahead here in math, science and language arts, thanks to the programs we had at Cairo-Durham.
Please know, though that not everyone will welcome you with open arms any more than we have been at times here in NC. It will take time for you to assimilate in the area and for them to get used to you.
What I can tell you though is that you will be able to sleep at night, you will know where your children are and you may find that a bit more simple life is good at this stage of the game for all of you.
The closest hospital for you is Columbia Memorial just over the Rip Van Winkle bridge.
I wouldn't have changed a thing.
I wish you the best of luck. If you would like more info, please feel free to dm me.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:50 PM

34 posts, read 89,386 times
wow! I had ruled cairo-durham out because of their ratings on great schools. Is it a nice area to live in for things like sports, and maybe something for Mom like a gym or theater group??? we are starting a business in hunter and it would make a great commute for my hubby.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:33 PM

78,461 posts, read 106,428,501 times
Here's a good site for looking at information the schools in Greene County: New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

I believe that Cairo-Durham just got a Varsity Football team about 2 years ago and they have the other basic team sports too. I believe that Catskill and Hunter-Tannersville isn't bad either. Coxsackie-Athens is alright.

Here's some more information too: https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2008&county=Greene (broken link)
Catskill Central School District: Reflecting Academic Excellence | Catskill, NY
http://00644c9.netsolhost.com/schoolinfo.htm (some of these school districts are based mainly in another county, but have boundaries partially within Greene County)
Cairo-Durham Central School District | Committed to excellence
Coxsackie-Athens School District - Superintendent of Schools
Gilboa-Conesville Central School District
Saugerties Central School District
Onteora Central School District (http://onteora.schoolwires.com/onteora/site/default.asp - broken link)
Hunter - Tannersville Central School District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York