Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:26 AM

473 posts, read 2,754,115 times

Advertisements

i would consider wegmans to be the equivalent to CA's Whole Foods market, on an obscene amount of crack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 08:22 AM

961 posts, read 2,501,977 times
CBaillo..hope that Ithaca wannabe takes the time to read your excellent reply (and thank you for it). The "gun" thing is one issue we've had over in our county with some of the "homesteaders" from Jersey, L.I. and NYC. They think they can just call a LEO and he'll tell us to stop shooting?...NOT in Tioga county. Can always tell where their recently acquired property is...it's the one with a posted sign nailed to everything bigger than a twig...LOL!

Old 08-28-2008, 10:24 AM

9 posts, read 30,574 times
Thank you all so much for your responses, especially your perspective, CBaillo. It was great to hear from someone who made the transition and is loving it so much. We are definitely big fans of the outdoors and especially of hiking, so I'm looking forward to experiencing the beauty of the area first-hand when we visit in a couple weeks. Thanks again, everyone!

Old 08-28-2008, 10:50 AM

382 posts, read 1,530,874 times
Just remember when driving in snow that (1) you can't do anything sudden such as step on the brakes (car will slide) or make a quick turn (again, car will slide and hopefully not into anyone/thing!); (2) keep within the speed limit minus 10 and (3) turn your car into the direction you might be sliding/spinning in. Generally most upstate towns know how to handle snow unlike DC and its suburbs for example. Good luck. It will be an adventure for you! Oh, and winter is a season, so you will need winter coat, hat, scarves, gloves and boots.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
CBaillo..hope that Ithaca wannabe takes the time to read your excellent reply (and thank you for it). The "gun" thing is one issue we've had over in our county with some of the "homesteaders" from Jersey, L.I. and NYC. They think they can just call a LEO and he'll tell us to stop shooting?...NOT in Tioga county. Can always tell where their recently acquired property is...it's the one with a posted sign nailed to everything bigger than a twig...LOL!
LOL i know..and the sad thing is that posted signs are going up EVERYWHERE. there's no sharing anymore of land. I respect a persons right to his property and that people should respect it..but sharing usage of land, brings communities closer to gether. now you got all these posted signs, and everybody wants to just be left alone..to enjoy the scenery, and ignore their neighbors.

and if you want to see the beauty and some of the quaintness that is the ithaca and surrounding areas here's a to-do list for you.

1. Treman state park: Upper AND lower areas
2. buttermilk Falls
3. Ithaca Beer Co.
4. Wine tasting: I may be biased but, go up and down the east side of Seneca Lake..you won't be sorry.
5. Connecticut Hill for a good hike..bring a gps..this place is huge.
6. ithaca Commons

there are a lot more things..but i gotta get back to work LOL

Old 08-28-2008, 12:23 PM

55 posts, read 241,412 times
Quote:
1) Is it hard to get around in the snow? I've never lived near, or even driven in the snow. Is there public transportation? Do you leave snow chains on your car all winter? Does everyone have 4-wheel-drive?
People in Upstate NY generally don't use chains unless they live in extremely rural areas. The roads are well maintained, particularly in Central New York where snowy roads are normal. If you live in an outlying area you will probably want 4-wheel drive. I am in Syracuse and have gotten through the last few winters without any snow tires. You will learn a lot about driving on snow by observing the other people on the road - about how fast it is safe to go. You will get the point where when you step out of the house in the morning you will instinctively know what condition the roads are in without even looking at them (due to temperature, the type of snow that's on your car, etc).

Quote:
6) Do Upstate New Yorkers have the typical New York accent?
We do not say "Noo Ywok" if that's what you're asking. If you are from California you'll blend in just fine.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:14 PM

CBaillo...I've "tested" some of the Ithaca Brewery beer.....appears safe..maybe more testing is in order..LOL!!!

Old 08-28-2008, 08:01 PM

lol i choose not to comment until I've sampled some more. we need a lot of samples to deem it safe :P I'm actually going to be brewing a batch of my own this weekend..a yummy nut brown ale.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:43 PM

I'm waiting for the call from my neighbor one of these days to help/learn winemaking at home. My grandfather did it(winemaking-beer brewing)..but no one took over from him when he passed on...what a waste of knowledge.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:20 PM

it's not that complicated if you ever decide to look into it. There's a lot science in it, but it comes naturally w/ it, and it doesnt seem like you're trying to study for a test when you read about it. Two books I highly recommend:

Winemaking: From Vine to Wine
Beer Making: How to Brew

How to Brew and HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community. together is the ultimate combo. These two together will have you brewing some great beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York