Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 11:38 AM

4 posts, read 14,561 times

Advertisements

I'm beginning to plan a move to Ithaca (spring) and am counting on being able to find an apt. downtown, as close as possible to the co-op, Dewitt, library, etc. Since I'll be on foot (no car), I need to be within a comfortable (as much as that's possible when it's, say, 8 deg) walking distance for lugging groceries/books/the works...hopefully no further than maybe 3 blocks from Greenstar. I know about the bus, but certainly don't want to rely on it. I assume apts. close to (or in, on?) the Commons are really scarce, impossible to find vacant, expensive, or all three. Perhaps it's not as difficult as I imagine. Considering the students, vacancies, etc, when is the best time to visit in hopes of finding a place? I'd like to stay under around $800/850 for a 1-bed (2 even better, of course.. or even a very spacious studio if that's the only way to be right in the middle of things).

Is this price range even possible in the heart of downtown? It's impossible to figure out much about general availabilty from say craigslist or even cornell's off-campus housing listings, especially at this time of year.

Any guidance someone can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 04:39 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,317,106 times
I know there is a brand new apartment building in the heart of downtown (right next to the public library) and the front door is next to one of the main bus stops in the city. I have no idea what the rents are, but here is a website with phone info for you:

index

Good luck with finding a place.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:45 AM

473 posts, read 2,755,136 times
i dont know if you've ever been to the area..but ithaca is larger than it seems you think it is. it's not a tiny town you can walk end to end in an hour. Like I said I dont know if you've ever been there, so I didn't want to suggest anything until I knew whether you knew Ithaca's true size.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the Cayuga Place link. I haven't had a chance to talk to them, but I will give call sometime soon. Looks like it would be out of my price range, but you never know.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaillo View Post
i dont know if you've ever been to the area..but ithaca is larger than it seems you think it is. it's not a tiny town you can walk end to end in an hour. Like I said I dont know if you've ever been there, so I didn't want to suggest anything until I knew whether you knew Ithaca's true size.
I haven't visited, but do have a decent sense of its size, distances involved, neighborhood locations, etc. I've seen the T-CAT routes and do understand I'll be doing my share of busing, esp. given the hills and the weather. I hope my entire life in Ithaca won't be spent within 2 blocks of the commons! The places I'll be accessing most frequently, however, and like to be comfortably close to, on foot, are downtown. As much as I can be a pedestrian for my "usual stuff", that's what I'm interested in. I live in a super-walkable neighborhood now, and pretty much always have. What I don't have a very clear idea about, though, is what range of rents are available there (I've seen a few examples, but not enough to know what's possible or likely), or, how much demand there is for places downtown. I suspect many people, students and non-students alike, want to be there, and that rents for a nice place are higher than I can manage. I also don't know when most students are letting their landlords know if they're vacating or staying. With full-time residents that's impossible to figure out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: