U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 11:18 PM

892 posts, read 2,710,138 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I am currently planning a vacation in central NY for my family and I, and we want to spend a weekend up in the Adirondacks, but there are so many areas/lakes/mountains, we don't know where to start looking. I'm hoping I can get some good advice from all the knowledgable people on here. Here are some of my questions:

1) What is the best area/region for families?
2) Is there an area to stay away from?
3) what region would be easiest to acess from Central NY?(Finger Lakes area)

I used to go to the Adirondacks as a child with my family, but my memories are hazy. It all looks so beautiful in photos, so it's hard to decide what lake is the best! The only area we have ruled out would be the northern region because of its distance. Anyway, any help/advice will be greatly appreciated. And thank you in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 06:02 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 18,040,917 times
Good morning. I haven't been to a lot of the area, but I'd suggest Old Forge, if you're going in the summertime. They have the water park and some other attractions that kids like, plus it's beautiful, with a string of lakes that are interconnected. It would depend on what you want to do.

Lake George also has an indoor water park that is open year-round.

Lake Placid is beautiful, but on the expensive side, although none of these places are cheap.

Good luck and enjoy!

Old 02-08-2007, 09:01 AM

9 posts, read 95,728 times
Default weekends in Adirondacks

I live in the adirondacks, 6 miles from Lk. George. The indoor waterpark to the best of my knowledge is fully booked for a year, call, it may be just the rooms. This is one of the most amazing area's, FUN,FUN,FUN!!!! I love living here. Depends on the time of year you are coming, you can even get an entertainment book , go on line, they are cheap, $29.00, and they are full of buy one get one's for everything!!! Great Escape Too!! The local one for us cover's most of central NY and is good until Nov.2007. If you use it just for a weekend, you will save yourself alot of money, meals, hotel, lot's to do. Lk. Luzerne has a great camping place on the river run by the state, free camping, a place called bear slides,with a day use pic nic area, all free. It's well maintained, and you can get camper's in there. No electric though. It' fills up quick too. We are also nice people and usually like our visitor's as long as you respect us yearrounders, lol. Dianne

Old 02-08-2007, 09:11 AM

It all depends on what you'd like to do. I forgot to mention...Lake George also has some nice outlet shopping. But, wherever you go, it's beautiful scenery.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:53 AM

3,292 posts, read 8,639,078 times
I love the Long Lake area, but it a world away from touristy places like Lake George.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:58 AM

3,360 posts, read 11,540,989 times
The easiest for you will be to take the thruway to Utica and go up from there to Old Forge.

They have a small municipal beach right in the downtown. The water's cold till the hottest part of the season. They have the water park already mentioned, a movie theatre, and some cute shops. You use to be able to rent a boat at the marina next to the beach and can go out exploring some of the small islands which are state owned. You can camp there too. They also have a tour boat (see my attached). Another place not to miss is the Old Forge Hardware store, several floors filled with everything (unique gifts) you can imagine.

You must make sure you have reservations before going as in season you could get stuck without a place to stay. There are motels within walking distance to the waterpark and others all along the lakefront. If everything's booked, try the village of Inlet.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 08-29-2007 at 10:08 PM..

Old 02-08-2007, 04:59 PM

892 posts, read 2,710,138 times
Default thanks!

Thank you to everyone who posted their ideas and recommendations. And thanks so much to Sgoldie for your wonderful photos. It looks beautiful! What season/month were those taken?

Someone mentioned about the water being cold - do you think it's better to go in late July/August instead of June/early July, as we had originally planned? Weather is important on a holdiay, and while I wouldn't mind a nice summer thunderstorm or two, I don't want too many chilly or rainy days.

I think we will take the advice on here and stick to Old Forge and surrounding area. I want my kids to go to The Enchanted Forest, as I did as a child, and also they have the water park now. And I've heard about the Old Forge Hardware store that has to be seen to be believed! Can't you also get the old train that goes on the scenic route somewhere nearby? All of this should fill up the two or three days we are in the 'Dacks!

Last edited by looking4home; 02-08-2007 at 05:08 PM..

Old 02-08-2007, 05:18 PM

Oh, great choice! I go to OF at least a couple times a year to visit my friends there. You'll want to check the schedule - once or twice a week, the train has a good, old fashioned western cowboy-style "robbery"- I think Thursday is one of the days. The kids'd love it! The hardware store is great. Slickers has really good pizza and chicken wings. The town has a nice website that tells when there are different events going on. I'm sure it'll come up if you google it. I've been there in June/July, and June can still be kind of cool. I'd go more toward the July/August, especially if you want to do water stuff. JMO. Enjoy!

Old 02-21-2007, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 18,256 times
Cool Have you considered Silver Bay YMCA of the Adirondacks?

Silver Bay YMCA of the Adirondacks is a great place for a family weekend, week, or more. I planned a reunion there for 45 family members. There is so much to do and accommodations for all budgets. Silver Bay is right on Lake George in the Town of Hague. During the summer season, there is boating, swimming, hiking, kids programs, fitness classes, archery, lecture series, and entertainment. It is spectacular in the fall and still lots of activities. If you want to try out a weekend, check out their website at www.silverbay.org/weekends.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:55 PM

417 posts, read 1,797,697 times
If you can schedule a visit to the Adirondak Museum I recommend it to get a feel for the history of the area. Beautifully sited and has a great collection of historic photos, all sorts of boats that have been used over the years in the area, a presedential (I think) pullman train car and tons of other stuff.

Also the 'great camp' Sagamore is now a historic landmark/museum and is quite worth a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York